Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Step 1: Admitting you have a problem

This entry is somewhat difficult to write, because I don't like to publicly talk about really personal items. On the other hand I'm trying to be honest with myself - and that means to everyone. Some of this is inspiration from my high school friend Melissa. She really lays out EVERYTHING about herself in her blog. No censorship, just the truth and all of it - even if it's brutal. Like Marianne, I too, am suffering from a "singleness funk." There is also a situation in my own life that I'm struggling with and have been unsure of how to handle. I have feelings for someone, and it's pretty obvious that those feelings aren't mutual. I SO want to move on, but that little part of me keeps saying, "Maybe there's hope. Don't miss your chance." But I know that I need to move on... I just haven't been able to.
Please keep me (and other young women like) in your prayers. Lately, I feel like my attitude toward my current situation in life is really poor. It's been about four years since my one and only romantic relationship, and for the 18 years before that I'd never even gone on a date. In ever instance that I've been interested in someone, things don't fare well. Okay, HORRIBLE. Literally, I have enough bizarre, ironic tales to fill up several books you'd find in the dating/self help section of Barnes & Noble. One time I met a guy for coffee, and they ended up ditching me for the girlfriend I brought with me as a buffer zone. My ex-boyfriend, I really should have broken up with him a few weeks into the relationship when I found another girl sitting in his lap. Then there was the one I thought was so amazing and cool who turned out to be creepy had been engaged to a twice-divorced OLD woman. (He also had dated his 40 year old Bible study leader, but that's another story) Let's also not forget the first guy I got to know in college. After becoming friends, everyone thought we were dating for awhile. I thought it would only be a matter of time before we were "an item." But we never dated, he just dated every girl I knew except for me.
As you can see I have not had very successful personal life in my 23 years of existing on this Earth. It's time like this when I think I will never meet anyone, love anyone, share myself with anyone. And frankly, it sucks. Why do guys flock to girls who are either 1) complete bitches who will step all over them and wipe them away like gum on the bottom of their stilettos or 2) nice girls who are totally uninteresting. This is a widespread epidemic. I know all of these guys, and I know all of those types of girls (they all have boyfriends). Yet the really amazing women always seem to go unnoticed.
My friend Margy is a great example of a wonderful young lady. She is gorgeous, smart, a strong Christian, hilarious, and tons of fun - the ultimate in "cool girls." Why is she going home alone every night? You want me to name names? I will! Jillian, Melissa, Danielle, Marianne, Kelly, Shauna, Lauren, Susan, Sarah, Kristy, Mindy, Corinne, Jade, Annie, Margy, Megan. Those are just off the top of my head. Guys who are reading, take note! These are the kind of women you should be dreaming of. Not the ones you keep going after.
I'm embarrassed to tell anybody what I really want. It's rare that I talk much about a guy if I'm really interested in him. He usually never knows, and we're usually friends. A small part of me thinks that if it's meant to be, he'll be drawn to me and will take the lead. So when that doesn't happen, I make excuses. You've probably all done this, too. "He doesn't realize that I like him, because if he did we'd be together." The truth is, that if he was at all into us - he'd make it clear. Yes, that concept is from He's Just Not That Into You. But I think that Greg Behrendt and Liz Truccolo were right in this instance. I'm not sure what to do. I don't really think I should be asking guys out, and pursuing them. Biblically, God made us all a certain way. He gave the leadership role to the dudes, and I understand that. But the guys out there, especially Christian men - just aren't asking me out.
To make a long story short, I want the whole package... the soulmate, the family, the love. Is that so wrong? We women can't change the way we were hard-wired. If you watch movies set in different time periods, love is almost always one of the bigger plotlines. Jane Austen films have lines like "You need to find a respectable husband who makes at least five thousand pounds a year." And here we are, hundreds of years later. We have high-paying jobs, houses, cars, freedom, independence, birth control, friends, night clubs, education, $500 strappy sandals, and artificial insemination. Of course, we still all want the same thing women without all those things have wanted since the beginning of time.. to love and be loved.
There are days like today, where I think I'm an involuntary 23 year old spinster. And I get pissed off. At all the guys that didn't like me back, and at the awful girls they chose instead of me. It almost feels like an insult. Am I an untouchable?
Everybody tells me that I am an extremely cool girl and friend, but I have a hard time believing it. Sure I'm a great person, but am I appreciated? Doesn't feel like it. So as a result, I'm not exactly what you'd call "confident."
But here goes. I'm a God-fearing, intelligent, engagingly fascinating, funny, witty, beautiful, nice, loyal, patient, passionate, ambitious, socially advanced, ethical, fiscally responsible woman. Great job, homeowner, no prison record, disease free, well-kept, well-dressed, classy. I can hang out with the guys and have a great time playing poker, video games, skiing, hiking, watching the game. I can hang out with other girls and bake cookies, make dinner, paint my nails, go shopping, babysit, dance the night away. I can install a new computer hard drive all by myself, or sit and listen to a friend's problem and offer advice. Although I love my career and hope to be successful, I'd change directions in a heartbeat if it was directed by my Lord. I make time for things that are important to me. I (so I've been told) have a good singing voice, but I rarely let anyone hear it. I'm the kind of person you want on your Trivial Pursuit team, and I scored a 1410 on my SAT's.
I encourage you all to tell the world how cool you really are. And believe it, because it's true. To all of you reading this (ladies AND gentlemen)... you are REQUIRED by ME to "comment" on this post with five fantastic qualities about yourself. So get started!

5 Comments:

  • At 1:19 PM, November 17, 2005, Blogger Marianne said…

    Hahahaha, Jen! You are AWESOME!
    I think you are fantabulous, and that list cracked me up.
    I personally am: an astoundingly talented cook, witty, fluent in a foreign language, funny, and I have exceptionally good taste in movies.
    But I know all of that. I'm also a pain in the neck, bossy, a goofball, a complete spaz in grocery stores, and scared of my furnace.
    Oh, even my faults are cool.
    Darn.
    Hey, at least we aren't producing a dozen babies while spending our afternoons watching Springer. There are worse fates than being super-cool 20-somethings!

     
  • At 10:01 AM, November 18, 2005, Blogger kelly said…

    i am artistic. i am passionate about people. i'm intuitive. i love my family. i'm intelligent and funny.

    i'm also not as confident in myself as i should be. i have a lot of great things to say that most people don't hear. i'm generally too hard on myself. i lose patience with my mom and i let personal orginization fall by the wayside even though i'm capable of it.

    why does the second list look longer than the first?

     
  • At 9:25 PM, November 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Five fantastic qualities? Well, one of them will not be my SAT score because I know I did not break 1000. It was like an 810 or 910 or something like that. The second one will not be the ACT either. That was a 17 or 19 out of 35.

    1. I love to have fun and hang out, just have no idea what to do. Suggest something, I will probably go and do it (you'll have to teach me to dance though).

    2. I am funny and have a wide array useless knowledge. Don't believe me? Watch. *ahem* Laugh, now. See? Oh, and Eskimos have no word for hello. I learned that from Animaniacs.

    3. I love animation so I am not opposed to watching cartoons all night.

    4. I play an assortment of instruments and like to improv which means I can come up with a song and sing it to you but need to practice playing off of chord charts and sheet music in different keys besides E, G, some of A and some of D.

    5. Number five....nummmmmber five. Oh, I like cats. Cats are cool. I'm not so much a dog person which is more than okay with me because, well, I like cats more.

    Okay. That's enough for now. I suppose the requirement of reading this post has been fulfilled. Do I get a gold star or lollipop?

     
  • At 8:43 PM, November 26, 2005, Blogger Jennifer said…

    -
    - - - -
    - -
    - - -

     
  • At 8:44 PM, November 26, 2005, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Oh shoot! that was supposed to be a star! Stupid formatting!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home