Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Backfired Plans

So I attempted Marianne's challenge to meet and interact with people. Last night I went for a cup of Chai at my favorite local coffee shop. It's a mom and pop kind of place, usually filled to the brim with college students from UTEP. Armed with my classic Coach tote, an issue of Cosmo, and not much else - I sat down to read and watch Monday night football on the plasma TV. The owner attends my church and we had a nice little chat. Then a man who looked at least 45 approached me. At first, I thought he just wanted to take one of the chairs at my table. But that's not what he wanted. The guy introduced himself and asked me "if I wanted to have a conversation." I told him I was a bit busy.. trying to decline. For the rest of the time there, I couldn't bear myself to look in his direction. He was playing chess by himself? So he's old enough to be my father, not attractive, and had an accent that I had an extremely difficult time understanding. Not that I mean to be rude, but I feel utterly uncomfortable around men that I have no interest in - but like me. Does that make sense? If he were closer to my age I might have been flattered. But with this person - just creeped out. Why is he hitting on someone half his age? Is this bitchy behavior? I'm not quite sure. I feel guilty turning down guys sometimes, but they're all males that are totally unappealing to me.
I don't want to date a man if I am positive that there wouldn't be any sparks on my end. In the long run, they're better off not being lead on to think that I'm interested. Where can we draw the line between having realistic standards and being overly picky?? I honestly don't feel I hold men to impossibly high standards, but I'm beginning to wonder why I never have mutual feelings for my 'admirers.' Am I attracting the wrong kind of males, or am I attracted to all the wrong ones?

4 Comments:

  • At 6:36 AM, November 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sweetie: The guy was twice your age. Declining his offer was not rude; it was wise.
    Aunt Annie

     
  • At 8:15 AM, November 29, 2005, Blogger kelly said…

    it may have been wise jen, but sometimes i don't know. i mean, he just wanted to talk, right? you knew the owner so if you at any time felt uncomfortable, you could have let him know and had him handle the situation. maybe i'm wrong, but the guy may have not had any "romantic" intentions towards you by wanting to sit down.

    if he was playing chess by himself, my guess is that he was a man not all that different than my dad...lonely but a really personable guy, just looking for some company, someone to talk to, someone to distract him for a little while from the things of his life he was going into the coffeehouse to escape. maybe you reminded him of a daughter he missed. perhaps you did make the choice that was safest for you, but i have to think to myself, if my dad was sitting all by himself in a coffeeshop, feeling totally lonely, that someone would talk to him, my age, his age, any age...especially someone who knew the Truth. someone he could tell his story to.

     
  • At 7:36 PM, December 02, 2005, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    It's a difficult line, between being nice and being assertive/feeling safe. My cop father has always told me to listen to my gut instincts, especially my fears. Your unconscious mind picks up, processes, and registers clues to which your conscious mind is oblivious; and your unconscious mind, being free of the rationalization and rewriting process that your conscious mind constantly puts itself through, is almost never wrong.

    Not that you were terrified of this guy; but if you ever feel uneasy or uncomfortable, then count that as your free ticket to decline a man's company. At the least it saves you a lot of grief in agonizing over "leading him on" and in analyzing tiny little subtexts of your interactions with him, and at the most it might save your life.

    I think our culture pushes young women to be "nice" at their own expense. Men don't have to be "nice." They don't have to ask out the good girls, or if they do, they don't have to respect the good girls' boundaries. Women should never feel obligated to put themselves in uncomfortable situations out of a sense of social guilt.

    Now, chatting politely in the grocery line with some guy who makes a friendly, noncreepy remark is a different matter altogether. You don't necessarily have to be rude, but neither do you have to open yourself up to any stranger who asks.

    And Jen, I maintain that the reason the totally wrong guys go for me, or the reason no guys I go for ask me out, is divine protection. As Captain Jack Sparrow might paraphrase, the "opportune moment" has not arrived.

     
  • At 10:22 PM, December 09, 2005, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Boss Meg, welcome to Fabulous Females! I've read quite a bit about you on Sarah's blog, and almost couldn't believe that here you are, in cyberspace, talking to us!! Your words about your own experience with your husband were very refreshing. I'm trying to figure out the whole "guy" thing, and so far... I think they're all crazy! Being a Christian, I'm sincerely trying to let God work in my life even when there seems to be no light up ahead. It's hard. Really hard. As a little girl, we don't dream about being old and alone. We envision prince charming or a white knight coming to "rescue us." And no, I am not looking to be rescued. But I plan on posting something to this effect as soon as I can get it all down. Glad you're here!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home