Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

the artifice of beauty

"God has given you one face, and you make for yourselves another." ~William Shakespeare, Hamlet

Now, the quote is not at all in the spirit of what is to follow, but I couldn't resist Hamlet's judgment on the use of makeup, vicious as it may be.

The thing is, I'm sometimes so tired of wearing makeup. I was thinking today how much simpler a morning routine must look to a guy (with the exception of facial shaving. I don't envy you gentlemen that -- although confessedly a razor is a handy way of getting rid of that dreaded upper lip hair, I don't have to plane a blade all over my cheeks and chin, which I do appreciate). You shower, gel your hair, dry it if necessary, get dressed, apply cologne, and go.

Here is mine in a very, very small nutshell. Lightly moisturize face. Apply green correcting fluid to all blemishes to cancel out redness and hide them. Apply ivory concealor to undereye shadows and creases in nose to cancel out the purpleness and keep me looking young. Apply the four different shades of eyeshadow -- base, main colors, dark shade for deepening outer corners of eyes and lower lash line. Apply eyeliner to upper lash line and blend. Apply double-coated mascara (white for volume, black-brown for definition and length). Apply blusher along cheekbones, forehead, nose, chin, and jaw for overall healthy, glowing appearance. Throw hair into some kind of order and run out the door. Oh crap. Forgot to change out of pajamas.

This usually takes fifteen to twenty-five minutes, depending on the number of zits (depending on the stage in the menstrual cycle) or the severity of tiredness which leads to deeper purple shadows.

There are many days when I delight in my sparkling appearance, created by subtle touches to what's already there. There are other days when I want to flout the social laws of beauty and run to work au naturale.

But generally I can only leave my face in its naked, bezitted glory on Saturdays when I don't plan on donning real clothes or leaving the house at all. I may sneak to the grocery store in my baggiest clothes and avoid everyone's eyes hoping no one is looking at me, but mostly when I'm out in public I have to "put my face on." It drastically affects my confidence and the manner in which I look at people, walk around, even smile.

Makeup is nothing new. Ancient Egyptians and Greeks used it; women in Shakespeare's time used it; women in the forties used it. And why? Why does beauty require a hiddenness of all minor imperfections?

I suppose that's obvious. But interestingly, I find that people seem more comfortable approaching me when I'm not wearing makeup. Not when I'm avoidy and furtive, but when I just don't frigging feel like putting it on and saunter outside defiant of all cultural mores and breeze around smiling, people like to talk to me. Maybe it makes me look friendlier, more natural, less put-together and therefore not intimidating. Maybe the confidence I get from having an artfully done-up face also makes me a little more aloof -- like there's a mask on. A mask a hundreth or a thousandth of a millimeter thick.

Dunno. But particularly when going to a club or restaurant, or heading to work, if I'm not wearing makeup I feel slovenly, freakish, and downright ugly. And that tends to put me down on myself.

So I continue to apply the liquids, powders and kohl. Besides, even if it's inconvenient, it really is very well done (I learned so much about makeup application from my mom, my Mary Kay consultant, MP, Madeleine L'Engle's Camilla, and participating in makeup crew in GCC theater), and if my insides aren't always put together, my outsides can be. Furthermore, I believe there is a great deal of dignity in maintaining one's appearance, and wearing makeup and classy clothes is part of the joy of being a well-put-together woman.

What do you think? Girls, does makeup suck sometimes? But doesn't it give you a rush of wellbeing and self-confidence when it's done right? Does it lend to a self-materialism where we try to hide our metaphysical blemishes? Does it enforce the good aspects of beauty and responsibility and self-care? Why do girls have such internal and external pressure to give such focused attention to their skin and appearance and guys don't?

And guys, how does shaving and masculine skin care compare? Do you think the world judges you, and that you should therefore judge yourselves, for having a beard, or blemishes? Do you ever wish you could conceal little imperfections? Do you conceal little imperfections?

Go on. True confessions.

7 Comments:

  • At 2:31 PM, September 07, 2006, Blogger none said…

    I rarely wear makeup despite my zits that have lingered well past adolescence, the shininess of my nose and forehead, and the undereye circles that seem to come with the territory in med school (I sound hot, right?). I just don't bother, not b/c I don't take care of my appearance (although sometimes, I really don't), but because I like being natural and looking like myself without introducing any more self consciousness than what I already have. Occasionally, I'll wear a little for fun, especially if I'm going to a party or some other festive occasion, but generally, nope. Last night, I put on foundation, a sheer red lipstick, and mascara, and then I looked in the mirror and didn't like how plastic I looked sans blemishes (weird, I know), and I wiped it all off (except the mascara and some chap stick). I never really learned how to apply makeup properly and I never felt that I needed to wear it every day. None of my sisters really do either, though 2 of them do wear lipstick and or lipgloss on a regular basis. I feel kind of out of sorts, resentful even, when I hear women talk about the necessity of wearing makeup every day as a part of femininity, like I somehow missed the memo that that was part of womanhood. Today, I'm wearing dark, kind of goth nail polish, and aa nice shirt instead of a t-shirt, so it's a good day when I've put in enough effort not to feel slovenly; I think if I added makeup to my routine, I'd NEVER make my 8am classes.

     
  • At 6:34 AM, September 08, 2006, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Hahahaha. I confess that whenever the boss is out of the office when it opens (and I open it), I usually bring my makeup with me and put it on at work.

    Also, I've been wondering how well this applies to women with more melatonin in their skin. One of my coworkers at Ann Taylor, Juanita, never needed makeup at all. Maybe it's just us pasty northern Europeans that need to overcompensate for purple circles?

    Whatever the case, I tend to look tired and dead when I'm not wearing it. I've also had years of makeup training (and love teaching people how to do it -- chiefing the makeup crew at GCC theater and training up new crew members in the strategic application of everything from pancake foundation to old-age wrinkles to "man blush" was one of the highlights of my college career) and I've gotten so accustomed to seeing my face with some paint on it that I have trouble identifying myself without it, unless it's to look in the mirror and wince.

    I never particularly notice when my friends don't wear it, however. Just another example of ruthless self-scrutiny.

     
  • At 8:07 AM, September 08, 2006, Blogger Marianne said…

    I wear makeup a lot, I guess. My grandmother sends me department store makeup every Christmas, so it's just always been coming my way. Add into the mix a long history of time on and off the stage--both wearing the pancake and applying the pancake to others, and I'm a pretty diehard fan of the stuff. My Paris roommate and I used to mix custom-eyeshadows.
    I don't wear much, though. Especially now that my skin has calmed down, I can afford to just use a little concealer, some blush, and some mascara.
    Is it artifice? I don't know. I'm basically one of those feminine-nazis The Science Girl moaned about. Even yesterday in class I was examining a girl and mentally making her over (hey, a two-hour lecture is obscenely long). I was annoyed at how resolutely un-lovely she was making herself. And of course, the girl next to me was wearing flannel pajama pants and a faded t-shirt, with a good four inches of her white, doughy stomach showing. I almost pointed out to her how trashy she looked in a graduate student seminar.

    Esther basically spent a year at a spa in preparation for the big reality-show "Who Wants to Be a Queen?" and that was entirely in God's plan. Today especially, we live in such a sloppy and ugly world--where the feminine has been degraded to either slut-wear or imitation men's style--that I think it's good to rebel by putting some effort into my appearance.
    Makeup, to me, is a way of showing the world that I value its regard. I respect the fact that other people HAVE to look at me. To be sloppy or scruffy or unkempt isn't a sin, but it does take away a little of the beauty of life. We've become so rationalistic, utilitarian, one-dimensional. Our colorless and mechanistic lives are only reflected in our colorless and haggard faces. The physical is a representation of the spirtual, and as such it should be beautiful.

     
  • At 8:29 AM, September 08, 2006, Blogger none said…

    I guess I just find natural faces to be beautiful, not colorless or haggard. As for wearing pajamas to class, in grad school or otherwise, I simply hate that. In fact, I can count on 1 finger the number of times I wore sweatpants to class in college; I may wear jeans alot, but I draw the line at going scruffier than that.

    And sbp, white girls don't have the market on undereye circles. Trust me. ;)

     
  • At 2:35 PM, September 08, 2006, Blogger Marianne said…

    I realized somewhere between the stadium and the dome that what I had written earlier today might sound "mean," and I would never want to come off that way. I love it when people feel that they look their best, and for many young women, that is with no makeup on. In our twenties--it's the time to go for it. I didn't wear any makeup all summer long--just a tan and splash of freckles saw me through Europe.
    I guess I don't like the look of resignation on many womens' faces. Their bare, drawn, blotchy, tired faces betray deeper sources of exhaustion in their lives. When I don't sleep 9 hours a night, it shows in my face--I think our faces are trying to tell us to slow down, enjoy life, drink more water, eat more fruits and veggies, and, most of all, sleep!

     
  • At 2:14 PM, September 09, 2006, Blogger Abbie G said…

    I kinda hate make-up. I agree that it can add to your appearance and by doing so, add to your confidence, but I hate how many women I see every day who REFUSE to leave home without their "faces" on. I frequently tell my girlfriends and even my mom that I think they look better without the stuff and I rarely use more than two dabs of concealer (permanent dark circles under the eyes) and minimal eyeliner (which I pretty much adore 95% of the time). I've also come to appreciate lipstick more in the last 18 months. However! I sometimes just plain forget to put on make-up in the morning and the other day, I planned to, looked at myself in the mirror, and didn't. I didn't need it. Granted, I have been blessed in that I have very good skin, and I know that if I'd been hit hard by acne as a teenager, I'd wear more make-up now, but as a general rule, I think it's a double-standard that women are supposed to cover up their natural beauty and natural flaws while men are forced to leave themselves out there, all the time. I wish there were one day on campus when no one wore make-up. How differently would we view each other after such a day? How much more of OURSELVES would come out with that kind of physical honesty? I agree with Man that if you consider yourself of value, you will automatically want to take care of yourself and present the best of yourself all the time. But where is the line between looking your best and covering your real self up? I guess that's an individual decision, but it's too often governed by an American society that demands re-touching.

     
  • At 11:15 AM, September 13, 2006, Blogger Marianne said…

    I am proud to say that today at 12:10 p.m. I rolled groggily over and saw the clock and remembered that I had a slew of appointments with students to begin I-didn't-know-when. I dashed into the bathroom, washed my face, brushed my teeth, struggled into a pair of crumpled corduroys, hopped around looking for a bra that wouldn't show through my light yellow shirt (of course all my clothes are at the laundry!), grabbed a cookie from the freezer (thanks, Mom!) and ran out the door like a madwoman.
    No makeup. Hair a fright (the humidity is killing). This is me on my "day off," a spaz, a mess, Marianne blurry-eyed and fuzzy-brained. But, when people know you, they only see you, and not the lack of carefully applied eyeliner. And that's almost as nice a feeling as the feeling I get when I'm all dolled up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home