Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

My Attitude Needs Adjusting

It’s exciting and fascinating to read about all the Fab Female expoits we’ve been having this summer. Marianne’s month in Italy not being "the hot chick"... the Science Girl moving to Chicago and preparing to begin medical school. Sarah starting a new job, and getting set up with a nice guy! David heading to New Orleans on a mission trip with his youth group. Margy finishing up nursing school and flying back to Sacramento. CT gearing up for 2L in New York. It’s difficult to believe that summer is almost at its end. Look what we’ve experienced, and how we got there. It’s amazing. For me, it’s been a wild ride... from the FEMA level natural disaster of flooding here in the El Paso desert... to trying to implement the Summer Challenge, and completely losing track of my ‘progress.’
Then there’s the inner struggle. Compared to six months ago, my faith feels lackluster. The other day I watched the movie Saved and felt hostile towards the Christian church. Especially when it comes to my current lifestyle. Yesterday, I went to a Habitat for Humanity construction project and saw dozens of soldiers volunteering on their day off. It was part of this Army program called Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers. It’s purpose - to uplift, encourage, and keep single soldiers active in the community. Not a meat market type organization, but a good, healthy thing to be involved in. Funny, there’s nothing like that at my own church. I found myself envious of those men and women.
At times, I am made very aware of how different the Christian lifestyle is compared to the world’s. If I was the regular average American Jane, I’d not likely have to scrutinize everything about the opposite sex. What’s their religious background? Are they a virgin? Do they really have a personal relationship with Christ? Should I go on a date with a non-Christian? If so, what should my physical boundaries be? If I was a Jane, I’d be busting out my birth control or Plan-B and wouldn’t have to wonder what other people thought of the strange, 24 year old virgin. Chances are, I wouldn’t be one. Now, I’m not saying I want the life of an average Jane. I’m all for a wonderful man who loves Jesus and me, and I’d happily marry him and hang up my spurs of bachelorette-hood. The problem is, I don’t meet any. And it seems like none of you are meeting any either. Statistically, there are more Christian women who are involved in a church then our male counterparts. Trust me, I’m definitely noticing that fact. I’ve never dated a genuine, Christian guy. Most of the readers on this blog haven’t either. Doesn’t that say something?
So this, ladies, is my beef with God. It’s why my heart feels cold and what I cry about when I’m alone. I’m finding it’s tremendously hard to live out the lifestyle God calls us to when my church has as many twenty-something singles as I have fingers on one hand. I don’t understand. I like good, Christian guys. Really. But they don’t return the sentiment. Ever. Awhile back I was explaining how post-grad marriages are the norm at Grove City College to a couple after youth group. The husband asked me, "So what happened to you?" I didn’t have an answer.
In the past year or so we’ve had this blog, I’m almost positive that not ONE of us has been asked out on a real date by a Christian guy. Since last week, I’ve been asked out (again) by the gay coworker, a Jewish reporter at another station, and have this sort of flirtation with another guy who, while has conservative views, doesn’t have a foundation of a relationship with God. What scares me, is that these guys are starting to look okay. (Except for the gay guy) I am very attracted to Bachelor #3 and find him strangely appealing. Why is God tossing me so many freaking red herrings. Deep down, I know that can’t consider any of these prospects seriously... but I want to. Now, the question is... how to handle it all. Live like a nun for life? Whatever I do, I believe that my own relationship with God will be damaged. If I ended up getting married to an unbeliever, that’s bad. But being single and distanced from God.. Also bad.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:46 AM, August 28, 2006, Blogger none said…

    Jennifer, there are so many times that express exactly what I've been thinking. I've found a another girl in my class who is a Christian, and we always chat about things like this, with our most recent discussion being about these "red herrings." I'm so sick of meeting amazing, fun, interesting, funny, sweet, kind men who are lacking "only" faith in God, and knowing that most other women would feel okay in pursuing them, but that I don't. And there are only so many times I can whisper "God, please guard my heart" and walk away before I start to feel resentful. Not at God, but just at the situation... sometimes it is just so hard to live as I know I ought.

    I've met one great Christian guy this year, who I am friends with, but he has never come out and said he is intersted (even though he alludes to that fact all the time). How am I supposed to date only Christian guys if I only meet one per year at best!? I'm hoping to meet more Christian peers once I find a church (whenever that is), but in the meantime, I did sign up for the Christian group on my campus and will be going to the welcome dinner tonight. I'm really hoping to find some much-needed fellowship there, if nothing else. If the dinner is at all noteworthy, I'll report back about it here.

    I'd love to hear eveyrone's thoughts on this post and sbp's. I'm sure we all have similar experiences to share.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home