Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Monday, January 22, 2007

Unexplored Options

Well, I’ve done it. I’ve become my own Lewis and Clark of resolve and exploration following the Sacajawea of eHarmony across a vast and hitherto undiscovered terrain of searching singles.

It was a pretty sudden switchover. I’ve been against online dating on principle for a very long time. I thought it wasn’t putting enough faith in God to bring someone along that I could meet for the first time face-to-face. I thought it was reckless and foolish (what? Meet a stranger for dinner? It’s worse than blind dating! What if he’s a predator?). I thought it was for losers who couldn’t hope to meet anyone unless they hid their faces behind a computer screen.

Until I turned into one of those losers. I was having a conversation with MP the other night and we were writing down strategies for meeting new people. Looking at the list, I realized I would have to make over my entire leisure time structure in order to do it. Because all of the things I most love to do don’t take me out of the house. What are my favorite hobbies? Reading, writing, cooking, knitting, watching TV on DVD, hanging out with my cat, and eating dinner with friends. I don’t tend to meet new people in my apartment; if I did, I would probably shoot them. I just don’t get out much, and that’s the kind of person I am – I like the comforts of home.

I do enjoy the occasional trip to a city, the occasional outing to a botanical garden or a beach, but when I do it’s never to meet people; I go to visit friends, or take friends along for company. I’m reticent and shy with strangers. I strongly prefer the known to the unknown.

Which severely limits my options. About the only workable strategy I have for meeting new people in South Bend is to go to the Notre Dame law library for bogus research projects for my boss in hopes of stumbling across an up-and-coming young lawyer. Other than that, I’m sunk. This isn’t an age when it’s easy to meet people. I’ve given up on finding someone in church. The people I meet at work are criminals or future divorces, and my boss and his wife don’t socialize much, and don’t know anyone my age. I am one of four staff members in the office, so there’s no hopes of meeting some interesting male coworker. I haven’t met any serious-relationship material through my friends in the grad school. My family is far away, so it’s hard for them to recommend anyone. And with there being a strong undercurrent of No Community in neighborhoods and cities – no barn dances or barbecues or socials – you don’t run into people much outside of church, work, friends and family.

Which leaves the online community. In an era without community matchmaking, where your friends and neighbors aren’t actively seeking to marry you off, these online dating systems provide the next-best thing – a supervised method for getting to know people who are looking for a serious relationship. You don’t really have to sweat a person’s intentions – they’re right there on the screen. You can survey their personality and interests, their goals and life pursuits in a rational manner, to see if this is someone you can picture being with. And it’s fairly safe.

So I went to eHarmony, which has the best recommendations, and filled out their survey to get my Personality Profile. It was dead-on, by the way. And what I liked about it were three things:

1. The only options were "I’m a man seeking a woman" or "I’m a woman seeking a man." I just really liked that – it means the site is marriage-minded (sorry, some of you).
2. It was founded by a Christian.
3. The survey didn’t focus as much on interests and hobbies as on personality and pursuits – who I am, what I want out of life, and what I want out of a partner. Because really, it doesn’t matter if (and is unlikely that) the man I marry likes exactly the same literature, music, and movies that I do. What matters is whether what we want out of life, and our characters, are compatible. Can we live together? That’s the real question, and this website matches people based on those lines.

I hung back from actually subscribing – that’s the dive into perilous water. Until this morning when I was notified that one of my matches had requested communication. As I only have two matches so far (I KNEW I was a tough one to match – I even clicked on four different states), I thought, well, here goes...and took the plunge.

So I’m now a member for a year, and have one more bill to pay, but the more time passes, the stronger I feel God’s call to family. Two years ago, when I was looking to leave the retail business, but had no idea where to go next, MP asked me, "What do you really want? Don’t think about it, just answer. What’s your ideal job?" And I said, "Not to have one." And now it’s become not just a wistful yearning for the future, but a purpose. Every other ambition and goal pales to that call. I’m supposed to be a wife and a mother. I’ve been praying about it for months. If I’m going to walk in obedience, I need to stop hanging around waiting for God to make it happen. It’s time for me to "strain toward what is ahead," not just hope for it. I have my part to do, too.

So, maybe you think I’m insane, or the years of singleness have turned my rational brain to pudding. But I’m tired of this. I’m tired of being alone. I want more.

This appears to be a reasonable option. At the very least, it’s a way to meet people who are similar to me, and it should yield some great stories.

(Okay, someone come out of the woodwork to support me.)

10 Comments:

  • At 8:09 AM, January 22, 2007, Blogger Marianne said…

    OH MY GOSH!
    You did it?
    You really did it?
    Sarah, you never do anything by halves. I have never seen anyone in my life make decisions and then pursue them doggedly to their logical conclusion like you.
    Insane. You did it. I am so amazed!
    Speechless. I am speechless. I should call you. Darn the darnable homework. Can I call you as I walk to my 11:45 class?

     
  • At 8:09 AM, January 22, 2007, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Sarah, you're not insane. If you are, then I'm in the same category.
    A month ago, I joined Match.com. My friend and I did it together for the heck of it, and for the six month guarantee. Figured, what do I have to lose?
    Long story short, my friend is now DATING a guy she met on the site. Turns out, he also goes to her church!
    As for me, I've been corresponding with two men. Both are a few years older than I, but they seem to be looking for something more than a casual fling. I'm meeting one of them tonight. We'll see how that goes.
    I figured, you can't knock it until you try it.

     
  • At 9:29 AM, January 22, 2007, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Thanks, gals!!

    Because I've only averaged about one date/one guy every six months since coming to South Bend.

    And see, I have accepted the invitation to a date of every single man who's ever asked -- I believe in giving a guy a chance. The only guy I turned down was Big Daddy (don't ask), who just felt like bad news. But nice, decent guys, with whom I get along, I go out with, if they ask.

    But they usually don't ask. I've known some of them for years. And while I'll obviously still date people I can meet face-to-face, I'm not going to wait around forever. Write all of the guys I know off? No. But keep options open, and blaze new trails? Absolutely.

     
  • At 9:36 AM, January 22, 2007, Blogger la persona said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 9:36 AM, January 22, 2007, Blogger la persona said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 9:37 AM, January 22, 2007, Blogger la persona said…

    I know at least 6 couples firsthand (most in my church) who met online and are now happily married. In my case, things didn`t work out quite so storybook:

    1) Match.com: I signed up right after I broke up with my ex 3 years ago. First match? HIM! (He sent me a ¨wink¨ for the heck of it. I had to laugh. =) Second? Someone in my church I would have really rather not known that I was surfing for a mate. And third, fourth, fifth, and so on? All of those varied creeps Jennifer has so perfectly recounted in her previous post. In my case, they included an 18-year-old Muslim named Mohammed in my hometown who liked discoteques and ladies a bit too much for my liking; a Chinese engineering student/stalker starving for social contact; a Venezulano self-named ¨Gordito¨ who accidently was accepted to Ohio U instead of OSU because he thought they were the same; a freakish Japanese atheist with a ponytail who likes long cuddles on the couch; etc. etc. In short, not much luck there. And as of late you have to pay for the service too.

    2) eHarmony: Under the influence of MH, I signed up for this under 3 different names, believe it or not. The reason being, each time I tried the results were always the same: ¨We´re sorry, but in rare cases, eHarmony is not able to match certain personality types. But, just for kicks, here´s a free personality assessment that will tell you just how much of a loser you really are.¨

    Is it me, or is it the Internet? Why, out of the millions or billions of people looking for love out there online, could these sites not find even ONE marginally passable possibility? Suddenly, I began to the weight of Dawn`s earlier statistics: If there´s no hope in my immediate surrounding, nor on the biggest network man has ever devised, what shall become of me?

    Of course I speak in jest. Like I said, while the Internet may not have worked for me, I know enough people for whom it has to make it worth a try, imho. But that still leaves me yet another 20-something with a single viable prospect...

    Pero ... buena suerte, Sarah! Let us know how it goes.

     
  • At 11:12 AM, January 22, 2007, Blogger none said…

    I've tried out online dating sites before... though only the free ones. I had an internet blind date back in high school that was lame (well, the guy was lame). I met a guy during college whose blog I'd read, and we ended up being friends, doing dorky things together like going to physics lectures at MIT, and even though we've since lost touch, it was kind of nice to meet a fun person who I otherwise wouldn't have met. One other guy (who I met during college from okcupid) actually ambushed me, when I made the mistake of telling him about a volunteer event that I'd be at, and he showed up. In addition to the fact that I wouldn't normally want to meet someone while wearing old paint-splattered clothes, I also didn't want to interact with a potential stalker. I generally find that, even with online dating sites, I am not able to find people with whom I share mutual interest. I don't know what it is, but despite browsing profiles often in the past year, I have not even come close to meeting anyone from the net since moving to Chicago.

    One site to check out is christiancafe.com You get a free trial period, and even if you never sign up for full membership, they give you 3-5 free days about once every month or so. There are a lot of members, and they're all Christian of some sort, so that takes care of at least one big issue.

    My sister met her husband online, and they've been married 3.5 years and are now expecting their 2nd child. So, hey, there's one success story.

     
  • At 9:21 AM, January 23, 2007, Blogger la persona said…

    whoops, disculpen the multiple postings. The new version of blogger has been acting up on me again...

     
  • At 3:21 AM, January 27, 2007, Blogger Dawn said…

    In an effort to get over someone, I've recently started dating. And I never date: my romantic relationships have always grown out of friendships. But I thought it would help me to move on, so in a period of two weeks I went out with three different guys. That was a couple of weeks ago. (The first date wasn't good, the second was ok, and the last one got a second because he was interesting. Though that's another story.) And on Sunday I'm supposed to go out with another guy.

    To be honest, I'm not sure if I could handle a serious relationship right now with anyone besides the guy I'm trying to get over (long story). Though I'd like one. Even more so, I'd like him....

    But at any rate, I don't think I'm a fan of dating--I'm very extroverted, so meeting new people is cool and all, but the whole dating-someone-I-don't-know thing requires more energy than I'd expect, and I've never had to be so careful about physical boundaries and implications before. It's the thing to do in a big city, especially post-college, and it seems reasonably healthy, but I can't say that I actually like it.

     
  • At 11:33 AM, January 28, 2007, Blogger Timothy Mahar said…

    A lot of people sign-up with eHarmony expecting instant results. I have read that some people complain about not meeting anyone in the 7 day trial period! In my opinion, that is just plain silly. I think signing up for a full year shows that you are planning to give eHarmony time to work. I think that is wise.

    There is a lot of information on eHarmony posted on the website RomanceForEveryone.com. It has eHarmony dating tips for men and women. I think you will find some helpful hints to help you on to make the most of your membership.

    The topics include:

    Tips on making your profile appealing to your eHarmony matches.

    Tips on setting your eHarmony search criteria to influence who you are matched with.

    Tips on how to approach your new eHarmony matches.

    Tips on developing a match's interest as you go through the eHarmony communication process.

    Tips on developing a match's interest while in eHarmony open communication.

    Strategies for your first phone call with your eHarmony match.

    Strategies for making your first meeting with your eHarmony match a success.

    Check it out!

    eHarmony Tips For Women

    Good Luck!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home