Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Monday, December 18, 2006

Family or Career? Love or Life?

I'm currently visiting my cousin in Virginia. She lives in the suburbs with her husband and son. She owns a beautiful home, drives a luxury sedan, and seems happy. I remember when she got married at the tender age of twenty-one. I thought that she was making a big mistake, and that she needed to graduate and experience life before making such a huge commitment. Nonetheless, fast forward seven years later she’s happily married and I try to visit her at least once a year.

Since arriving on Saturday afternoon (it's now Monday at 3 am), we have visited Walmart twice and Target once, went grocery shopping, went Christmas shopping, and watched a lot of movies (courtesy of blockbuster). The one reoccurring theme is quality time. They (my cousin and her husband) do everything together. They grocery shop together, picked me up from the airport together, run their errands together, cook together, take care of their son together, etc. They refer to each other exclusively as honey (or mommy and daddy when addressing their son). Her husband opens her doors for her and carries all the heavy things. They even have a little game they unwittingly play, which I've secretly dubbed Prince Charming and the Damsel in Distress. She pretends to be hopelessly helpless and he in return always comes to her rescue. This entails retrieving hard to reach objects and fallen objects amongst other tasks. He’s the Nick to her Jessica. Nonetheless, she seems happy.

I mean there have been hard times. Since they got married so young they've had to mature over the years. They had their share of ruthless arguments, but have honed their communication skills and stayed committed to their family. They've had their share of financial woes, but nothing a little financial ethics didn't solve (i.e. working hard, spending less, and saving more). He travels a lot for work, but when he is home he is completely involved with his family, and even when he’s physically absent he is still emotionally present. Still, their lives do seem a little boring: no chic social gatherings, intellectually charged conversations with their peers, and hot sexy flings; however, they do seem content, something I can’t say I’ve felt in a long time. So I ask myself, did my cousin make a mistake by marrying young and deferring her education and life experiences or did I make a mistake by forgoing marriage and kids for my graduate education and the life experiences of a young, single woman?

I’ve had a good life and done things my cousin wasn't able to do because of her responsibilities. I’ve done the excitingly superficial things, i.e. traveled extensively (domestically and internationally), lived in several major metropolitan cities, mingled with celebrities, went skiing in the Poconos, jetted away to island getaways with friends, etc. I’ve also received an amazing education that has positively impacted many aspects of my life. Overall, I have no complaints. However, on lonely nights with no prince charming in sight I wonder would I have forgone it all for true love at twenty-one.

After all, my cousin life isn’t bad at all. She’s not as highly educated nor does she share my life experiences, but she does own a gorgeous home and car, is financially secure (i.e. she pays for my annual visits to see her), she goes on a weeklong vacations once a year with her husband, only works part-time (if at all), and is unconditionally loved and cared for by her husband. Me on the other hand, I have a lot of college loans and with graduation still a semester away I can’t even start to consider a home or new car loan. And although I’d love to do Cancun for Spring Break, with the bar and related study courses I just don’t have the money to spare. And when I do graduate chances are I'll be working 40 plus hours a week and all the men in my age group without commitment phobias will already be spoken for.

I don’t regret my choices in life, I’m just considering, was it necessarily the better choices?

1 Comments:

  • At 8:08 AM, December 20, 2006, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    My sister is having a pseudo-similar dilemma. She's attached, engaged, and settled down to domestic life, and was telling me a few weeks ago how she's not sure she wants it yet.

    "I won't be able to DO anything!" she said. "I won't be able to go on vacation whenever I want, or visit people whenever I want."

    But let's be realistic. For most young twenty-somethings, these are the poverty-stricken, debt-ridden years of career building -- i.e. working crap jobs for crap pay in the hopes of getting better jobs for better pay later on.

    Our generation drowns itself in debt on unnecessary things it can't afford. I haven't been able to afford a vacation yet. My idea of "vacation" is getting to drive to see my family.

    That's adulthood. That's the young years. That's life.

    Now, my sister and her fiance are able to do a few more things than I can, with their combined income. They're vacationing right now. They get to do that about once a year.

    Because it's a statistical fact that couples make more money (even as individuals) than singles. Married people don't suffer from depression or alcoholism as much as singles, and have much lower rates of suicide.

    And when people get older, they get boring. Our bodies lose their energy to run around all the time. So I'd rather be boring with someone than alone.

    And "hot sexy flings" have never been all that appealing. Give me steady, committed love over that any day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home