Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Erosion

Fully recognizing that the Buddy System sucks, and having my eyes opened by my boss in regard to the Millstone two months ago, I untangled myself from a massively awful Buddy relationship and walked away from a guy I truly loved, who will never love me. (And it was disappointingly easy to get rid of him. I didn't respond to one email and two phone calls, and have never heard from or seen him since. Which only threw into sharp relief against the wall the writing, "He doesn't care about you and never did.")

The process of getting over him has been long and slow. I still don't feel able to love a man. I'm not interested in dating. And yet I have lost, in Leigh Ann's words, "That One Person" -- That One Person to spend free time with, to hang out with, to laugh with. That One Person who was my life's default companion. And everything, while much better for me without having to listen to all of his relationship problems and support him in his endless emotional crises, has been emptier. There's no one to harmonize with on the guitar. No one to sit on the porch with. No one to ride around in the car and listen to music with. No one to charge my empty hours with pleasant reminiscence and anticipation, and my full hours with chemistry and company. No one to converse with about the things we conversed on.

Enter Kevin.

Kevin lives downstairs. He is the ex of one of my good friends. When I first moved into the house, they were living together in the apartment below mine. Shortly afterward she asked him to move out, and thus began my friendship with her, and a long summer of her breaking up with him. I learned a lot about him in the process. A lot of unpleasant things, a history of emotional abuse and selfishness and anger, passed down to him from his father. So when my friend moved to another apartment, so that she could live in a place to which he had no keys and no access, and he moved back in because they had had a joint lease, I already hated him and was fully prepared to maintain a hostile course of interaction.

He helped a lot. We had one conversation when he first moved back in wherein he was extremely manipulative, trying to get me to talk about her, and then angry and rude when I wouldn't be manipulated. He asked nastily if he should even say hi to me when he saw me in the future; I replied that if he didn't feel moved, it wouldn't bother me. And that was the only conversation we had for a year.

Until this summer, the Summer of Job Loss, Friend Loss and Despair, when I spend inordinate amounts of my unemployed time on the porch. My door opens onto the same porch as his. As he lectures at a nearby university and has summers off, I saw a lot of him. We began to chat, cautiously, and then comfortably. He never brought up my friend in conversation -- not ever. And so we got to know each other.

He's been fascinated by me for a long time. My friend warned me to anticipate that he would. "You're nothing like me," she said, "You aren't as susceptible to his crap. That's going to drive him crazy."

So I became aware, toward the end of the summer, that he was, at least a little bit, "into me." There was a certain expression on his face, a certain intensity in his eye contact, a certain cant to his body angle when he sat down in one of the patio chairs to talk to me. He asked me once to go to dinner, and once to go to the beach. I had valid enough excuses to refuse him politely both times. I enjoyed his conversation, and felt like a traitor for it, but was interested in nothing more than the occasional porch talk (particularly as I'd get nice little compliments here and there about how beautiful I am, and how clear my skin is).

But then he found out that I sing. And he is extremely talented on the guitar.

Kids, music gets me every time. I've never been a groupie, I never followed the campus bands much (even though they were really good), but music is one of the central joys of my existence. And then Kevin introduced me to Gillian Welch. We started practicing songs we both knew, and he'd pass me a new song every once in awhile. He said my voice gave him goosebumps. He was extremely admiring.

Two Sundays ago we performed together at a really laid-back, no-audience neighborhood house showing, on a porch, on a nippy day. A guy I knew from RCIA came along and recognized me, and he's always been way too interested in me, and so he talked to me for awhile, and when he left, Kevin remarked jealously that the guy really liked me. I shrugged. After that, whenever Kevin introduced me to people I didn't know, he left out "this is my neighbor," and said simply, with a light, possessive touch on my shoulder, "And this is Sarah."

And, curse of curses, I didn't correct him. I've been so damn LONELY. And Kevin, despite his small stature, is a pretty good-looking guy.

So last Thursday when he called me in the evening to say he hadn't seen me for awhile, and did I want to come down for a cup of tea, I said yes and hung out with him for awhile.

Then I spent all weekend away from the house to get a grip on myself. COME ON, IDIOT, I said, He's an ABUSER. You KNOW this. What's your problem?!

The thing is, Kevin doesn't make (since we're not dating) any demands on me. He's just there. And his company is enjoyable. But I'm pretty sure, at some level, it's an act. I saw how he acted around my friend, and how he would act so normally and kindly around other people at the same time that he was hurting her. I saw, several memorable times, how he treated her, and I hated him with all the fiery hatred of hell for what he put her through. But this Kevin? A completely different Kevin.

And yet, despite our optimistic (stupid?) societal outlook, I don't believe that people ever really change. Especially not that drastically, and not in that short of a time span.

Plus, my friend often told me how great he was in the beginning.

So I've been talking about it with everyone who cares about me. I've been clamping down on my understanding of reality. And I've been avoiding him. I mean, what can I do? To ignore him or refuse to talk to him is rude, and he's done absolutely nothing wrong to me. But I have to guard my heart -- that ancient cliche -- because I witnessed the damage he can inflict, and with all the hellish things I went through this year, I don't need to add one more source of stress, insanity, depression and heartache to the list. And if I'm not careful, things could progress in a dangerous direction.

My best-beloved John helped me tremendously this week. I was telling him about the situation, and how Kevin is wearing me down, and John said, "No! Don't give in! That's just what the predators are waiting for."

So I'm doing my best, and not doing too badly. But argh. He's already worn me down considerably, and now I have to try to rebuild some of the levees. And I don't have the energy.

8 Comments:

  • At 10:41 AM, November 15, 2006, Blogger James said…

    It's entirely possible in that year that you didn't speak to Kevin that he might have changed. Some people do.

    My gut reaction would be that if he's acted this way since this past summer, he must have progressed quite a bit in the time since he dated your friend. Why don't you bring it up? Tell him you have noticed a big change in the way that he was about a year and a half ago and now. See what he says. Was there a life changing experience? Does he deny that he's any different? Play it more from the angle of "I've seen personal growth in you since I met you" not "You were a jerk when you dated my friend and now you're not to me".

    I'd be intrigued to hear what he says.

     
  • At 11:25 AM, November 15, 2006, Blogger none said…

    Wow, that's tough. I'll kbe praying for you. I think the wise choice is to guard your heart (as difficult as that truly is).

     
  • At 12:47 PM, November 15, 2006, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Sarah, use me as a BAD example!!! You've got the strength, dignity, and intellect to realize that this guy is not good news. I'll also be praying for you to be able to keep your eyes on the true prize... our relationship with our real Father.

     
  • At 2:29 PM, November 15, 2006, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Yeah, see, the problem is, I've noticed him with other people, just once in awhile, acting slightly the way he did with my friend. Only girls, of course. Every once in awhile, he gets that edge in his voice, which I overhear. That angry, irrational edge.

    Granted, I haven't heard it in awhile. And never with me. But the thing is, it would be stupid of him to allow himself to get that edge with me, if I'm his current target/object of affection, since he knows I won't put up with it, and I'll just walk away. If he has a goal in mind, seeing me walk away as a result of his nastiness is not going to be one of his strategies. Not without having some kind of commitment from me to keep me around.

    Other problem: He's not a Christian. Oddly, he's starting reading the Bible, as an academic exercise, but he's certainly not, and would never proclaim himself, a Christian.

    Further problem: Is complicated by the fact that I am a young, healthy woman with a healthy sex drive. Simply put, there are times when I want him. But I have moral boundaries, and he doesn't. So I can't trust him on that account, and if I can't trust myself (which I sometimes can't -- I spent the other weekend locked in my apartment so I wouldn't see him), nothing good can happen.

    Last (?) problem: He's not quite my equal. It doesn't bother me at all, because it makes his company that much more relaxing, and he's certainly not stupid, but still it's somewhat true.

    And we never discuss extremely personal topics. The closest we've ever come was him giving me (good) advice on getting rid of the Millstone.

     
  • At 3:11 PM, November 15, 2006, Blogger Marianne said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 3:16 PM, November 15, 2006, Blogger Marianne said…

    No. No Kevin. Just no. He is not a Christian in any sense of what we understand that to be. In fact, I believe he is hostile to the faith (as are many people who "read" the Bible for intellectual inquiry). He does not hold the same convictions and will not have your best interests in mind.
    Get out of the apartment. Do not lollygag on the porch. Don't do this. If you have to, come over here. Or invite me over there. Find someone else to sing with. Sol plays the guitar, and he's a nice guy. Sing hymns with David. Come over here and jam with Mark and Marian on Thursdays. For you to sing with him would be like for me to go salsa dancing with Hot R. Bad Idea.
    Find someone who will actively seek to strengthen you, not tear you down. Seek a man who actually loves women, not one who needs them to increase his perception of his own self-worth. Remember, you're at the story to buy a pony, not a pig.
    I pray that you will find a good man. Not a shadow of a man.

     
  • At 9:37 PM, November 16, 2006, Blogger Yax said…

    I've never posted a comment on this blog before. But I've got to tell you... as a male... this guy is probably a... well... he's not good. I won't say what he is because guys tend to denigrate each other through mysogynistic terms. In any case, No. Not at all. If you have any doubt about him being a jerk, and from a your post, I assume that you do, you need to kick him to the curb. Not necessarily because of the way he might treat you. Like James said, he might have changed. But unless he comlpeletely proves himself to you otherwise, I don't see your intial reaction to him as off-base. You are a smart woman. If you see a chance of this guy treating you as less than you are worth, kick his ass to the curb and don't look back.

     
  • At 12:40 PM, November 17, 2006, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Matt. You are the greatest. Male support (women's activist that I am) is both heartening and critical. You have no idea.

    I am firmly resolved, all the more so because of the fast and furious support of my incredible friends.

    No Kevin. Not now, not ever.

    I have successfully avoided him since Sunday. I intend to continue this trend.

    Thanks, guys and gals.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home