Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Virtually Homeless

I have a confession to make that I’m having a difficult time even admitting to myself. Although the title of this forum is ‘Fabulous Females’ I feel about the farthest away from that denotation that one can get.
Last week I had quite the shake-up at work. I was told I was being "promoted" (suspiciously with no pay-raise and crappier hours)... when in reality, it’s a demotion. I will not go into elaborate detail at the moment, but I’m still in a state of numbness and shock, embarrassment, bitterness. The change has little to do with me or my performance, and that grandly sucks. All in all, a pretty tough blow to handle right now. This is the only job I’ve known since graduation. A gig I changed around my entire life for... in faith that it would pay off in the long run. Every day for more than two years, I’ve put way too much of myself into this endeavor. Now, looking through the rear view mirror I wonder what the heck I have to show for it. I’m thousands of miles away from family and friends, don’t have much of a spiritual or social network of people my own age, have not been in a romantic relationship in five years, and am in a state of utter confusion at the moment.
I’m positive this is God’s way of telling me to pick myself up, brush myself off, and press on. Much easier said than done. The past week has been a blur of disbelief and funkiness. Why me? I’ve worked my arse off to get where I am. I have no idea what the heck I’m doing here.
What I want is a map and a compass to tell me what the next step is. Unfortunately, I don’t think those are going to magically appear. It seems like every few years there’s some sort of shake-up in my life. My parents divorcing, moving from high school to college, moving across the country to a place I’ve barely even heard of, is that’s what’s on the horizon? As much as I crave adventure, I haven’t had much stability – ever. And strangely, I feel I really need that right now. It’s something I’ve never had. What I wouldn’t give to have it. Even if it was just for a moment.
Most everyone has a place they consider home. Whether it be a childhood residence, hometown, or a network of people they know they can cling to. It’s a haven, a constant, a safety net. Well, I have never had the privilege of knowing that, of feeling like I was truly ‘home.’ This worries me for a number of reasons. Maybe I’m too guarded of a person and can’t fully commit to people and relationships? Perhaps I’m just ‘different’ and very few people will ever understand me? Either way, whether I like it or not, changes are on the way and I need to be a big girl about it. I can’t change my situation, but I do wish there was another factor that helped to bend my decision one way or another. Right now, I’m working on making options available for myself come December 31st, which is when I am free to work on my own terms again. Your prayers would be welcome and I thank all of you for constantly listening and providing support. This blog has been a lifeline to me over the past year. =)

4 Comments:

  • At 8:11 AM, October 20, 2006, Blogger none said…

    I'm praying for you Jennifer. I don't think you're too "different" to have normal relationships, btw. I may only "know" you through the internet, but you have consistently shown yourself to be a funny, caring, and insightful person, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks so. God will see you through. In the meantime, try to see the positive, but don't feel bad if you're going through a sad time. I decided recently that it's okay to be sad and hurt if things are crappy; beating yourself up over a normal reaction is really not necessary. Just be grateful that God never changes, even when life throws you curveballs. And I'm sure I speak for us all when I say that you should keep posting here with your concerns so we can rally around you. I don't feel fabulous most of the time either. :)

     
  • At 11:56 AM, October 20, 2006, Blogger la persona said…

    Funny (well, not really) that you should post on this topic right now, I was about to do the same. Home . . .what an elusive concept. A few months ago I randomly met another New Yorker -- a pretty blonde, 20-something atheist -- in Cuernavaca. At the time I thought she was rather full of herself, but she gave me her e-mail and asked me to write. I never did. Then a few days ago, I was suddenly seized with this almost supernatural urge to find her. So I dropped her a two-line e-mail asking what happened. To my surprise, she responded at length about how desperately lonely she was and how she felt completely lost looking for an ¨idealized version of the home I never had.¨ She said that somehow she got the sense that just maybe we might be the same. In all honesty, she might be right.

    After graduating, I spent two long years back in the place I grew up, trying to find the home I never had. Sometimes I wonder, though, for as much as I want to find it, I am running from it too. Much as I crave security and the notion of just settling down, as everyone else seems to be doing, I freeze when an opportunity presents itself: What if it doesn´t work out? What if they leave me hanging, too? Wouldn´t it just be easier to be independent and disconnected, and not have to worry about all of that. So maybe I´m the one who´s been sabatoging, albeit unconsciously, my dreams of a home, for once and for all.

    Sad, but true. Being paid a lot of attention as a gringa doesn´t help. It´s all so superficial. When will there be someone who or someplace where I can truly come home?

    And unlike thesciencegirl, I have had the pleasure of knowing you a little in person and can testify that you possess an extraordinary strength and humor that will get you through this. You are in my thoughts and prayers as well. Someday, I need to believe, it will all work out in the end.

    God bless!

     
  • At 1:44 AM, October 24, 2006, Blogger Dawn said…

    Hey Jennifer, I can sympathize with the "home" thing you're talking about--for me, home is a piano in a dark room.

     
  • At 10:16 AM, October 31, 2006, Blogger Abbie G said…

    There's a really great quote from Garden State about family being a group of people in search of the same mythical place [home].

    I don't think God calls us to lives of stability, safety, surity. I think He asks us to trust Him and sometimes, as hard as that is, it's all we can do.

    I will pray for wisdom and guidance, and that you can soon find the community you need.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home