Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Friday, October 27, 2006

At Last, a Step out of the Rut; or, Why I Love My Boss

The job is going splendidly overall -- there's a vast array of Things I Have to Know, which makes for some bad days when I either never knew or forgot them, but on the whole, it's great. All the more so because of my boss.

In the days before his marriage and taking the bar, he was a priest, and that priestly concern for others' wellbeing still permeates his character. It was his insight which convinced and freed me, finally, to rid myself of the Millstone in late August. He speaks his mind, speaks the truth, never hedges, and has excellent insight into the natures of other people.

We've had discussions in the past about the state of marriage (or non-marriage) in our society today, and why it's the way it is, and we've generally concluded that one of the reasons why people of our generation are marrying less and less and cohabiting more and more is that most of us have seen our parents screw it up in one way or another and instead of determing to do it better, have rejected the idea altogether.

Further discussions along those lines this morning led me to express my own frustration with and cynicism toward marriage, since my own propensity is to fall for guys who are, in my boss's words, losers. Particularly losers who need a great deal of mothering. Some tendency in myself, fostered as I grew up by both the model of my parents' marriage and the expectations laid on me as a kid to take care of the emotional wellbeing of everyone around me, inclines me to want to take care of guys, when that's the last thing I should do, since the guys who need the most care are the worst ones for me, and being with them leads me to exhaustion and emotional exploitation.

So I was talking with my boss about solutions to the problem. He said that that "spark" which attracts me to guys will most naturally flare up toward the losers, but that there is hope, and that while I should not choose a guy out of purely rational motivation (which would probably lead to a cold marriage), I should rationally decide what kind of guy I want, and begin to socialize with guys of that caliber. The more I associate with them, the more chance of a spark flaring up somewhere -- and, while it might need a little more fanning on my part for it to burst into flame, it will still truly be there. Meanwhile, the sparks that flare up on their own I should probably distrust and douse with a lakeful of cold water.

He then said, as he's been after me for awhile to catch a young lawyer, "Do you want a lawyer?"

I said, "Well, there are pros and cons. The pros being that they're generally intelligent, well-read, articulate, self-motivated, hardworking, attentive to detail, and ambitious. The cons being long work weeks and a lot of time away from home..."

"And they're very aggressive," he said.

"Well, I've thought for awhile that part of marriage is being able to fight well," I said. "And I'm no passive daisy myself; and I don't want a man who will fold up and back down just because I'm mad."

"Which losers would," he said. "All right. I think I need to give you some research projects in the Notre Dame Law Library. I understand that if you're not a law student, you have to have a special reason to be there. So let's give you a few."

And with that, he pulled out a legal pad and scrawled a few topics onto it and handed the paper to me.

"I need this information like I need a hole in the head, you understand," he said, "so if it takes you a few months to complete the research, that's fine."

I clasped the proffered paper and grinned at him.

"Sometimes you can float around peacefully waiting for God to cast you the worm on the hook," he said, "but a lot of times you need to be the hunter and decide what you're looking for, and determine where to find it."

And this is one of the reasons why I love my boss. Now I need to go sharpen my arrowheads (a/k/a plan out my outfits, put on makeup, look friendly and studious and utterly fabulous, and wander into the law student lounge asking promising young lawyers where to find information on Judicial Estoppel in Michigan and Indiana).

7 Comments:

  • At 12:36 PM, October 27, 2006, Blogger none said…

    :D What a cool boss! I know med students who study in the law library to try and meet young/future lawyers. I haven't tried it yet myself. ;)

     
  • At 2:25 AM, October 28, 2006, Blogger Dawn said…

    Wow, you'll have to let us know how that works. It's not a bad idea, though for some reason or another I never thought about it. Your boss is definitely cool.

     
  • At 2:29 AM, October 28, 2006, Blogger Dawn said…

    I realized that even though I've been reading this blog for months, I never actually gave you guys my email so you could invite me to join the blog. Here it is: saturnleia@gmail.com. Thanks!

     
  • At 9:00 AM, October 29, 2006, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Good luck with the hunting, Sarah. That's actually not a bad idea. When I was home for Thanksgiving and spring breaks in college, I'd go to the local law library at the University @ Buffalo to write papers and do research. There really were a lot of nice looking, smart dudes hanging out there. Don't forget to bring a tranquilizer gun with you!

     
  • At 9:07 AM, October 29, 2006, Blogger Jennifer said…

    By the way, your boss should be a professional marriage broker instead of a lawyer.

     
  • At 12:25 PM, October 29, 2006, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    He DID used to be a counselor. :) Old habits die hard.

     
  • At 8:23 AM, October 30, 2006, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Hahaha, merci beaucoup! I'll have to get on this stat, or perhaps my boss will have to wait for his research results until the beginning of the next semester...

    P.S. Best of the best of luck with your own upcoming exams!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home