Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Friday, December 15, 2006

Where Is The Love?

Okay, this is a classic case of double posting. Just a warning...

We can choose a hometown to spend our lives in. We find out what our gifts are and decide what field to go into, spend four years at college (and grad school), want a long-term job with security, and pick a 401 K plan that, chances are, we’ll never look at ever again until age 65. We like and crave stability, people who love us, and law and order. Not the show, but societal peace and order. Even if a group of students are given the option to choose their own seats in a classroom instead of having them assigned, they will inevitably sit in the same ones day after day. So in all seriousness, why can’t we commit in relationships? Forget marriage or even engagement – heck, we can’t even make it to a third date in the year 2006. So-and-so just doesn’t seem to ‘get’ you. Greg isn’t ambitious enough. Steve’s teeth are too crooked. You’re too ‘into your career.’ You/they just aren’t ‘ready’ to date someone, and want to keep things super casual. It’s too weird to be with Dan, because it would mess up the friendship. I just don’t get it. People can’t stick with their significant others at the slightest tremor, yet we won’t change bank accounts even with a painful $30 a month service charge. It scares me how little knowledge and experience I have with commitment. It’s not that I don’t want that, but it appears so few others do. Back in the day, I didn’t think I wanted to get married or have children. Even after college, I equated marriage to a loss of freedom and dreams. How could I pursue my profession if I had to sacrifice for my husband’s career? Would I be doomed to watch Oprah while folding laundry? Even at homecoming last October, a bunch of girls and I sat around a table eating cookies and chatting about our futures. We all agreed we didn’t want to become boring housewives.But now? I believe marriage helps us become better people, grow in wisdom, and reach our goals better than we could on our own. And as for the trapped argument? I feel trapped and lonely as a single woman. I’d do anything to have someone here with me who I’m completely comfortable with, can open up to and trust, and who loves and supports me. I am not an island. As much as I try to be, it doesn’t work. Time and time again, I’ll fail. We singles waste so much time thinking about the opposite sex, if they noticed us, if they’ll call, what ‘phase’ the relationship is in. Wouldn’t it be nice to be rid of all that? An amazing book I’ve been reading is ‘Why Can’t I Fall In Love’ by Shmuley Boteach, my personal hero. Honestly, it’s changed my outlook in love and marriage. In the past few years, my fear of falling in love and risking heart break has waned. In fact, I’d say I’ve garnered a lot more confidence and hope. Boteach lays out how God created man and woman to come together as one. And when God said that, he didn’t mean for a one night hook-up. He meant... well, for life.

Falling in love actually frees you on many levels. It enlarges rather than diminishes you, because the most important freedom in life is the freedom to maximize your human potential, to take whatever gift you have on the inside and make something of it on the outside. When we are deprived of this freedom, we live in pain and disillusionment. When we have no one to draw us out, the pain we experience is terrible. Love enables us to bring out that interior gift. - Shmuley Boteach

Over the last week or two, I’ve been catching up with some old friends – all guys. Let me preface this by saying that I was the ultimate gal pal in college. As a freshman I knew about 90% of all the guys in my class and a good number of the girls. No, I was far from a flirt. In actuality, I’m one of the most platonic people on the planet. Although I’m no sports buff, I spend most of my time with friends of the male persuasion. Never dated any of them. Got to know them well, and cherish those days greatly. On Thanksgiving, I had a few glasses of wine over the phone with my friend M. He was working on Bourbon in another state. Back in the day we played poker, watched Joe Millionaire, and I was the official photographer/videographer on his birthday. He recently moved to Florida from Pennsylvania to accept a job and live on the beach. Unfortunately, he also moved away from his wonderful girlfriend. We discussed his relationship at great length and he expressed just how much he misses her and wants to be together in the same city. He felt that in retrospect, he shouldn’t have taken the job in Florida and is now looking for a new direction in Pennsylvania. Last night, I spoke to another friend who’s become quite a fixture in my life. C. is a really wonderful person. Kind, intelligent, funny, self-deprecating, loyal and trustworthy. He’s been through a difficult time with the lady in his life as well. He told me wholeheartedly that he’s in love with her, wants to spend the rest of his life with her starting right now, and just needs to know if she wants the same thing. He’s been wondering the same thing for about a year. Regardless of what happens between them, he genuinely wants her to be happy, even if it isn’t with him. These two men are in love. They’re not afraid of jumping in headfirst and experiencing all that life has for them in that area. M. and C. are bold, wise, and rare. A woman should consider herself extremely blessed to find herself in a romantic situation with anyone like the friends I just mentioned. Every week, I’ve been mentally recapping interesting new things I’ve learned. Through my friends, I’ve learned that there is hope. Not everyone is afraid of commitment. I want to be one of those people. So my question to you is why? Why are you afraid? What stops you from giving love a chance? Why can’t you fall in love?

6 Comments:

  • At 10:45 AM, December 15, 2006, Blogger Marianne said…

    I'm telling you, the future is in matchmaking, or as Debbie Maken call's it, having an "agent." The art of the fix-up must be revived. Since I can't seem to find anyone here in Indiana, my mom is searching high (in the sky, a pilot) and low for someone for me in Asheville. My aunt even engineered a blind date for me in Paris!
    That way, you know the person isn't a freak! It's a little easier to trust...then commit...then get on with life.

     
  • At 2:17 PM, December 16, 2006, Blogger Caroline said…

    Hello, over in England we are asking the same question - where are all the Christian single men?! Check out our blog at http://swat-peckham.blogspot.com We would love to hear from you!

     
  • At 4:37 PM, December 17, 2006, Blogger Babba-Gi said…

    Oh no! Fabulous Females is going global!

     
  • At 10:23 PM, December 17, 2006, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Sweeet! Is it wonderful or terrible that the problem isn't localized to one continent? (At least we're not alone!)

    Can't wait to have some future blog-to-blog correspondence!

    When it comes to falling in love, the problem is that there just are some guys you meet (and vice versa) with whom you KNOW it will never work out. You can generally tell this within a few times of meeting a person. Granted, people's opinions of each other can change, but on the whole? Doesn't usually happen.

    Part of the fear of falling in love comes from a really great track record of falling in love with the wrong sort of guy. And it gets to where you don't want to fall in love with anyone you meet, because how do you know he isn't that wrong sort of guy? What if the cycle starts all over again? Or, very basically, bad cycles aside, the kind of guy you generally meet as a single girl out doing singles things is the kind of guy you don't want to fall in love with. As in, primarily, not a Christian. Sure, you can be surprised, but how often do you want to take the chance?

    I agree with MP. A girl needs agents. It gets a lot of the worst factors of meeting someone -- the strangeness, the newness, the basic questions of "Is he a Christian?" "Is he employed?" "Is he generally decent?" -- out of the way, so you can devote some time, a little more relaxedly, to getting to know him.

    I've enlisted the parental units as well. As prayer warriors if nothing else...and that way if Mom happens to run into a suitable guy, she'll have me more prominently in mind. :)

     
  • At 7:38 AM, December 19, 2006, Blogger Lovely Lady said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 7:41 AM, December 19, 2006, Blogger Lovely Lady said…

    I like this post, it shows that marriage is a beautiful necessity, but my only concern is that when a lady is single for a long time she starts to romanticize marriage and she doesn't realize that although marriage may solve a lot of problems, it also brings with it a lot of new ones.

    Many 'happily' married people I know always say 'marriage is the hardest thing they've ever done' and the tool that best prepared them for marriage was life experience as a single person.

    So enjoy being single now because later you may find yourself longing for those days when you were single.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home