Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Let Go Let Flow

Everyone has a mental list of the characteristics that their ideal mate will possess. I am no different. My list consists of such characteristics as educated, successful, sophisticated, fun, a great lover, loyal, committed, generous, honest, genuine, etc. However, sometimes I feel like its hopeless and I will never meet someone who meets the demands of my lengthy list and I am destined to die lonely and old with lots of animals.

I was watching 'Something New' this weekend and there was a scene in which 'the ladies' were chatting about their nonexistent love lives. One of the ladies had recently read a book in which the author suggested that in order to find true love one has to let go of their preconceived notions of their ideal mate and be open to love in whatever form it may present itself. The title of the fictitious book was 'Let Go Let Flow'.

So I thought, although I am not ready to entirely drop all my standards it may be beneficial to drop some of the more superficial demands on my list, i.e. highly educated. I don't think that I should defer my pursuit of love because my potential lover doesn't have a PHD. That would be ridiculous. As long as he is educated, a hard worker, and goal oriented together we can make anything happen. Oops, there go those pesky standards again.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:32 AM, December 01, 2006, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    I dunno. I think standards are great for younger women, and especially for adolescents, because it keeps your focus on the kind of man you WANT and ought to have, and protects you from a lot of the hormone-rendered idiots that overpopulate the schools. It also keeps your own hormones in check.

    And when you find yourself drawn to a simply unacceptable man, standards are, again, what keeps you in check and mindful of reality.

    But when it comes to "that one person" you really love and you're going to marry, I don't think any of the standards are really going to come into play. I don't think, when that magical moment happens, that it's really going to matter what color his hair is, or how educated he is or isn't, or what kind of car he drives, or what kind of music he likes. The superficial standards with which we line our Blue Castles (and there's nothing wrong with a little daydreaming!) will dissolve in light of real love.

    That being said, human beings are sort of wired to seek an equal, and the stats indicate people marry other people with similar educational levels.

    That also being said, one thing we can do as Christian women seeking Christian mates is to give the Christian guys who might actually approach us a little more of a chance than we might normally do.

     
  • At 1:20 AM, December 02, 2006, Blogger Jennifer said…

    This is very odd, but I recently met a guy whose name is actually "Flo"... Weird, huh?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home