Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Saturday, March 08, 2008

(FWIW, I didn't want to post this on the front page, I wanted to post it as a comment in the men vs. boys post, below, but I haven't been able to get the comment form to work in the last day and a half - stupid Zambian internet connection. Anyway - some of my thoughts below aren't stated as kindly as I would like them to come across, but I've stared at what I've written too many times now. I ask you to forgive me for not coming across softer, maybe after some time off I'll be a little better of a brother to you again, who knows.)

You know, I've been here for a couple years, at least, but I think I've pretty much had it. I'm not saying I won't be back someday, but I'm taking a long-term vacation from FF for my own sanity's sake.

I've weathered a lot of criticism from more than a couple of you on this site, and I think I've tried to stay pretty gracious about it, for the most part. I've tried to contribute a view from the less fairer sex, and time and time again I've had it thrown back in my face, sometimes subtly, sometimes not so. So here's some parting thoughts.

Generalizations. This is an incredibly important thing to understand: negatively generalizing any group of people inherently devalues certain members of the group that don't posess the traits common to the majority of said group. The same works in reverse, but don't kid yourself - this blog does a hell of a lot more of the former. I know - I've read it from the start. Here's some generalizations on women:

- Women talk too much. Gossip is far more common in women then men.
- Women let their emotions control themselves too much.
- Women use or withhold sex to get what they want.
- Women are more insecure and needy than men.
- Women blame men for all of their problems.

How does that make you feel?

Quit lumping me, and thousands of other decent, imperfect, Christian guys into the general category of all men, who play too many video games, drink too much beer, and are only interested in women for sex. Its literally dehumanizing to men who play video games and drink beer in moderation (or not at all), men who value women for their God-given qualities, physical, emotional, psychological, et. al., and are trying to protect their purity. Don't judge all men on your tiny, probably less-than-perfect dating history. And don't think for a second that you'll quit generalizing once you meet your special someone - its not a habit you can turn on and off like a light switch, and it will damage your relationship, should you ever meet him.

Stop assuming you can fix men. You can't. There's something wrong with every last one of us, even your precious Tyler Perry, as much as I hate to break it to you. The rather satisfying thing about that fact is that there's something wrong with every one of you too (and *that* statement about either sex is *not* a generalization). Stop thinking you're going to find the man who doesn't play video games, who doesn't want to spend an entire Sunday afternoon watching football, or who doesn't have some other means of enjoyment that you don't find the least bit interesting. Don't expect him to plop down next to you and pull out the needles every time you feel like knitting with a cup of tea. Try appreciating what you have in common, and what you don't, for a change. 80/20, anyone?

I can't tell you ladies how often I've been made to feelknow, thanks to careless words, that I'm not one of the few and far between. That's what we're all looking for in a life mate, as well we should, but the endless harping on the fact that you're pretty sure 99.9% of guys aren't up to par with what you'd prefer all men to be like, well it would take quite the narcissit to assume he's in the 0.1%. I certainly know I'm not anyone's Mr. Right, that much is clear. If I've made it this far without settling down with someone, there must be something horribly wrong with me. Guess what! There is. Its called sin, and its very contagious. You might want to wash your hands.

Stop blaming your singleness on men. Sure, its at least half our fault, but the point is that the constant and complete acquittal of yourselves in the overall process is self-righteous and a huge turn-off. Define hypocritical: reading about how passive the male sex is on the same blog I read about women bemoaning their Friday nights at home in their sweats. If cultural roles are changing, and men are getting more passive, the answer isn't to bitch about it, the answer is to positively be counter-cultural, and to encourage godly men to do the same, rather than assume none of us can or will. Wake up. And another thing - none of you will ever know how hard it is for a guy to walk up and start talking to a strange girl, whether its at church or in a bar. I wish more than anything that I could make you all feel that accute apprehension for just one second. Quit thinking we have it so easy.

Its important to know your self worth, and what a wonderful and awesome creature of God you are. Its also important to have enough humility to realize that you might not be all that fabulous, all the time, after all. I've said it time and again, life isn't about finding the right peron, life is about becoming the right person.

I'm still working on becoming that person. I'm a responsible adult, who has been paying the loans and bills on time every single month of the 8 years since college. I've held a professional position the sum total of that time as well. I've done well enough that I've been able to go on half of my salary for the better part of a year in order to do charity work in 3rd world Africa, and still keep plugging the 401k and the savings accounts. I'm clean-cut, well-dressed, in excellent physical condition, have a healthy diet, and am well-mannered. I've been heavily involved with my church and family in my spare time, and I have sought continue my education informally as much as possible - I've learned the basics of 3 new languages in the last 2 years and am working on a 4th, and I'm abreast of the latest politics, theology, science, and industry knowledge and news. My hobbies include photography, drawing, reading, writing, sculpting, and playing guitar / piano. I tithe at my church, I pay my taxes, I give to charity and volunteer in the local homeless shelter regularly. I enjoy driving after a goal, leading teams, and making tough decisions, and I have an often overly-aggressive competitive nature. And I can stop and laugh about everything above and more, and I try to make a point to do that every day, in one way or another. And I'm still working on becoming that person.

This is the type of man that your current mentality has driven off, today. If you want the kind that you're whining about all of us being, here's a hint: keep up the whining. You'll find guys who are content to sit and agree with you in bemoaning the state of their sex, instead of getting out there and living a life that shines in the darkness.

Pause long enough to consider the possibility that some of the stuff I've outlined above might be tantamount to doing yourselves a disservice. I know its driven this immature, passive, less-than masculine man away.

Consider it an inexpensive lesson, I guess.

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • At 2:54 AM, March 08, 2008, Blogger Ben said…

    Man, hell hath no fury like a gamer scorned.

     
  • At 8:00 AM, March 08, 2008, Blogger Beth said…

    David, I totally understand your frustration with the men v. boys post. I think it frustrated me on behalf of my husband, who picks up an XBox controller on a nearly-daily basis, and is still a loving, ambitious, hardworking, and mature man.

    Delaying maturity is a problem, where it exists, but video games have hardly anything to do with it. thesciencegirl's observation about video games being the pastime of choice for med students is also true of law students -- even male classmates of mine who are married and have kids, and aren't delaying their maturity in any sense, still enjoy video games to unwind. And there's nothing wrong with that.

    We all need some way to unwind, whether we do it with an XBox controller, a remote control, a computer, a magazine, or whatever. Maturity has nothing to do with it. Sure, some immature people over-indulge in video games, but that doesn't mean that the games are to the problem.

    If you use video games as a litmus test for maturity, you'll surely overlook a lot of great men. If you ladies don't like video games, I suggest getting over it. Seriously. I might not have wished for my husband to play video games, but he does, and it does no harm to me or to our marriage -- we still work hard, chat with each other, make plans together, and all of that stuff. (Maybe he wishes that I'd spend less time reading blogs, but here we are!) It's simply not worth worrying about. There are WAY more important matters for our attention than each other's choice of pastime when we need to unwind.

    And the same is true of a lot of criticisms directed at males on this blog -- worrying about them won't get you anywhere. I don't think there's anything wrong with airing your concerns in a forum like this, but keep your mentality in perspective: once you're in a relationship, or even have the prospect of one, you have to make a conscious choice to overlook a lot of less-significant problems and focus on what really matters.

     
  • At 3:38 PM, March 08, 2008, Blogger none said…

    David. I'm not even sure where to start in responding to this.

    I guess the first thing I would say is this: don't take the snippets of my thoughts that I express on this blog and extrapolate them because they don't really represent me. Like you, and the women on this blog who I've met and can attest to, 99.9% of my time is spent out there living my life. Very little of it is spent whining, about men or anything else for that matter. But it's nice to have an outlet to vent my frustrations, and the blog has provided that for me. And sometimes in my postings here I have focused more on venting or ranting than on looking at an issue with an even-handed view, but I think that's okay. And that has nothing to do with you, and everything to do with me being a person who is frustrated about something and wanting to talk about it with my peers. It's sort of a healthy outlet for me since I rarely discuss these things in my "real" life.

    I can only speak for myself, but much of what you said I already know. Of course I'm not perfect. Of course I can't expect perfection from men. I don't. I'm just as flawed as the next person. And I'm not walking around life projecting bitterness toward men and driving them away. I'm really not a bitter person at all. I have my moments; I tend to blog during those moments, so maybe that makes me seem like some angry shrew, but trust me, I am not.

    As for your list of accomplishments. Bravo. To that I say, would you like a cookie? Or perhaps a gold star? You sound like a catch (seriously). I hope you meet a girl as fabulous as you are. But you are not the only contributor to this blog with "impressive" credentials and a lot going for you. You are not the only person trying to become the right person. I don't spend Friday nights at home in my sweats. I pay all my own bills. I help my family out when I can. I moved 750 miles away from my family and friends and created a new life for myself in Chicago. I attend church weekly and am trying to get involved in ministry there. I help to lead up a bible study at my school. I'm simultaneously getting my MD and my PhD. I'll be doing my PhD research on Malaria. My goal in life is to improve prevention and treatment of infectious diseases that disproportionately afflict the world's poor. I care more about social justice and scientific discovery than I do about a pay check. I've organized a Refugee health focus at my med school so that my peers can learn about patient populations outside of the bubble of our wealthy patient base. In the little spare time that I have away from med school (it's not much, unfortunately), I take salsa lessons, volunteer my time, and enjoy the culture that Chicago has to offer. I tithe. I give $$ to charity. I'm well-read. I take care of myself physically, and have worked really hard to lose 65lbs. over the past 2yrs. My friends come to me when they need a shoulder to cry on or someone to make them laugh. I make excellent brownies. And I look at this list of accomplishments, and I try to think about how much God has blessed me and how much more work I have to do on my stubborness and selfishness and pride. And I think about how most of the people I know (women on this blog included)have done and seen and accomplished amazing things, how I'm no more special than them. And I think about much I would like to find a man on a similar path to share my life with. And I'm sad that I haven't met him yet. And I know that it's not because all men are terrible or because of video games or because I'm so perfect. I'm very far from it. But when I say that I look around and wonder where my equal is, it's because, laundry list of achievements aside, I cannot seem to meet a young man who is committed to Christ and also looking for a woman like me, who is busy doing a lot of things besides sitting on her couch in her sweats on Friday night. That's not an indictment on you or anyone else. It's just the truth. It's my reality. And sometimes, it bugs me and I rant about it on an internet blog.

    Often, I disagree with points that you make here (as well as points made by the other female contributors). But honestly, whenever I air my frustrations about men, it is about specific men in my own life who, as individuals, have let me down. I blog about it to purge the negativity and get over it, not because I think it will change anything. It's never been about judging you or men in general at all. In fact, I try not to make sweeping generalizations. But I would urge you not to take what we say so personally. On my part at least, it is not meant that way.

     
  • At 3:51 PM, March 08, 2008, Blogger none said…

    And not to beat dead horse, but I would also like to point out that there have been numerous discussions on this blog about looking for potential rather than current spiritual maturity, lowering unrealistic expectations, why church drives men away, what we appreciate about men, etc. In fact, Jen's recent 80/20 post, which you seem to deride, was all about the idea that you can't expect perfection from potential spouses. Even the men vs. boys post was framed as a question, not a judgement. Jen said, "Here are two articles claiming guys are delaying their maturity in favor for video games. Agree or disagree??" Since when is an invitation to discuss a theory a reason to take great personal insult?

    Don't forget those things when you read the occasional rant about male immaturity. Give us some credit.

     
  • At 7:42 PM, March 08, 2008, Blogger la persona said…

    Two full, meaningful lists of achievements and passionate prose, and you two still haven´t met?! I would love to see this conversation continue behind the blog facade.

    In any case, honestly, I don´t know how you lasted this long with us, David. Being a token male in a blogful of wonderful women discussing the many ways men have let us down or haven´t come around certainly must not be easy. That´s not to say I´ve agreed with your perspectives, but it was kind of you to offer them up for discussion in a pink-laden environment.

    Unfortunately, I must beg to differ with you here again, as well. On some notes, on the same token as sciencegirl, whose list, much like yours, is probably something everyone should make. I´d like to think I do have aspects of myself that I can be proud of, from learning to forgive to juggling two low-paying albeit intensely meaningful jobs, full-time graduate work, volunteer tutoring in a bilingual elementary school, and an active church and community life. Many of us are also married or have begun committed relationships in the course of this blog.

    But I think you´re wrong to say that we blame the men for our singleness. I, for one, have spent most of my posts exploring where **I** went wrong in relationships, and have tried to portray the guys in question in a fairly positive light. And since you referenced my post in particular a number of times, let me just say that I know full well that even a beloved film director has his faults -- his last movie was the direct result of a breakup. My point is to point in the direction of hope -- look, we do complain about the apparent shortage of eligible men out there, but look, they DO exist!!

    Look, I know you and I are not the sort of people that would ever get past a first date, and that´s fine - to each his own. Believe it or not, there are some guys that do put up with me, foibles and all, and I´m doing my best to learn how to respect and respond to that. I think a lot of this blog is dedicated to the sheer calculus of one of life´s biggest questions -- with whom we should devote the rest of it with. Is that not worth serious consideration? Even if we don´t get the answer right the first time, it´s worth keeping in front of us as a guide to prevent avoidable (and potentially costly) errors in judgment.

    Finally, there is a huge developmental factor that you are neglecting here. Personally, I don´t think most guys are ready to think about a committed relationship until they´re 30 -- for all the reasons you´ve mentioned. Do you think you can cart around a spouse and kids while you´re still globe-trotting around the world? I don´t, which is one of the many reasons I´m still single too. It´s a tradeoff, hopefully a worthy one, but these extended individual pursuits do take a lot of Christian men out of the dwindling marital pool for other twenty-something women who are ready to start a family. Remember, we have a biological clock and relational tendencies that make us want to do this sooner. But Sarah can argue about this far better than I.

    In any case, my sincere apologies for any remark that may have come across as derogatory against a different, yet no less valuable, gender. I know I can be quite cruel at times, and it´s wrong. Your open communication and on-going patience has gone along way in negating empty stereotypes and keeping our well-intended rants in line.

    Best to you there in Zambia.
    -j

     
  • At 7:42 PM, March 08, 2008, Blogger la persona said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 5:52 PM, March 09, 2008, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    The point of generalizations in a discussion-based forum such as this is to examine them, find where you conform to them, and privately decide how to change that in yourself, as necessary.

    When it comes to most women of my generation, I'm no more a fan of them than I am of the men. (Again, in general terms.) They ARE insecure and needy, they do talk too much, they do rely far too much on their emotions, etc. I'm no exception to some of these myself, and I'm actively, consciously working to make progress in those arenas, rather than denying that I have anything to do with them.

    It's like SG said - this blog is a place to clear the air. It's not problem-solving in its orientation; as women, we're talking things out (this is one of the things women do - while men tend to want to get right down to work and solve the problem in order to feel better - according to Men are from Mars, feel free to disagree, I do too sometimes - women mostly want to "vent" in order to feel better, and they wind up feeling better for the venting, whether or not the problem is solved). And as most of us have strong opinions, those will out. It hardly means that we in our everyday lives are a.) that negative, or b.) oblivious to our own shortcomings. There's a balance.

    I think you're a good guy, David. One of the things you might want to consider as you seek to interact with more of the female sex isn't what you say, but how you say it. There have been times in the past when you delivered your defense of yourself as distinguished from the rest of the male race with a distinct tone of condescension. I far prefer the outright fury of this latest post.

    Contrary to some of the statements posited here, I have met some extremely decent men who have nothing to do with video games - such a creature does exist, so I see no reason to resign myself to his impossibility until I meet a guy whom I find compatible. If that man does play video games, we'll assess and go from there. Obviously in the real world, as opposed to a discussion regarding social trends, there are plenty of personal exceptions.

    Beth, there's not a bad thing that can be said about your husband, most especially because he possesses a depth of self-awareness I have rarely come across in a human being. This quality serves to keep him balanced in a lot of ways that many other young men our age - who graduated college still single and seem to think that the adult life is an extension of the frat house - aren't.

    I also find it interesting that the men of my father's generation tend to agree with what the FabFemales have said about the overarching trend of masculine arrested development. My father, my boss, and Babba are a few examples.

    Unfortunately, as you said, David, we as women can't do a thing to change the guys of our generation. My boss once told me a story (I've quoted it on the blog before) of a bunch of young male elephants who were demolishing a village in India, and couldn't be controlled until a bunch of older bull elephants were brought in to whip them (literally) into shape. This agrees with the 1 Timothy mentorship roles - older men to younger men, older women to younger women. So changing the men of our generation sure isn't up to us. The difficulty lies, as we've noted before, in the distances separating young people from their parental nests - while it's good that the kids have flown the coop and aren't just mooching off Mom and Dad, it's hard to be so far away from their mentorship and influence, and not always healthy; there's much less accountability.

    Plus, for whatever reason, parents seem to go softly with their sons these days (yeah, fine, another generalization, but one that I've found to be true in dozens of cases, with all sorts of guys, most of whom I haven't dated myself). That kind of sucks too; these kinds of child-men need a good kick in the pants, but when the young women say anything, they sound like they're just bitching. It has to come from mentors, preferably within the church.

    So, since we can't change a whole lot on our own, we're left with discussion, or ranting, or venting, or what have you. It's helped a lot of us over the past two years, merely by helping us to connect with one another and stay sane.

    Vaya con Dios.

     
  • At 6:20 PM, March 09, 2008, Blogger Nic said…

    David - reading this made me quite sad. Even before you listed your achievements here I could have told you that you are EXACTLY the type of guy I want to meet.

    And 'finding' you on this blog has renewed my hope that if there's at least one good guy out there, with traits so similar to mine, then surely there must be more, maybe one just around the corner from me.

    I think you've been a great voice of balance here. So I'd encourage you to stay, and yes maybe we do need to be reminded not to generalise, and at the same time, I must agree with the other female voices. That this is a place where we 'vent our frustrations', those we can't/don't let show in everyday life. It's the nature of blog forums.

    And we are here because of our frustrating experiences which our married friends don't seem to understand.

     
  • At 2:22 AM, March 14, 2008, Blogger Dawn said…

    Dave, I agree with you on most points, though I will say that I have been frustrated at being single with a long list of accomplishments myself, wondering why guys seem/ed more interested in the girls who were happy to get married right after college and do the kids thing. And I think the blog has been a way for most of the people here just to vent about those sorts of issues.

    But I'd also be happy to play video games once in a while, talk about science fiction, and generally out-geek my boyfriend, who's a computer science professor. I usually understand guys better than I do girls.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home