Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Friday, December 02, 2005

The Contentment Issue

I have a lot of catching up to do here, but I have some Fabulous Female things in mind, so ready or not, here I blog.

I've been talking lots lately with the marvelous MP, and one of the things we discussed -- tonight, actually -- was contentment. And our problems with being told, in wispy tones, "You should just learn to be content with your situation."

I don't think so -- not on the terms in which contentment is preached. First, I believe that discussions of "contentment" have become in the church a means of teaching people (especially young women) to cultivate greater and greater amounts of passivity in their lives and characters. And passivity is hardly a virtue (Proverbs 31's Wife of Noble Character didn't have a passive cell in her energetic, capable body or a passive neuron in her energetic, razor-edged mind). Wilted flowers aren't pretty. Also, as MP noted, the contemporary doctrine of passive contentment allows a vast amount of young men to get away with heightened levels of immaturity and fantasization, dithering around waiting to meet "that girl that I'll become really good friends with, that one day out of the blue I'll ask to marry me and it will be all normal and unchallenging and no work," meanwhile playing video games, taking laundry home to Mom, and aspiring to nothing in particular. Passivity on a woman's part encourages even greater passivity on a man's. This does nothing to fill the huge leadership gaps among today's young Christian men.

This is not to say that we should all rush around like rabid wolves ready to sink our jaws into our perceived future mate and grimly hang on until we wrest that blasted ring from his reluctant pocket. Or to say that women should take over the world and leave men out of the picture. But let's be clear on the definition of contentment. Or rather, let's examine contentment side by side with its cousin, satisfaction. Because contentment and dissatisfaction can (and do) coexist.

Take my current life situation as an example. I am twenty-four, totally and serially single, a few hundred miles away from a family whom I cherish even from a distance. I live alone in a lovely and affordable apartment in a charming and slightly run-down neighborhood. I have a job with climbable ladders on which God has blessed me with ascension (short version: I will soon be on the comfortable side of poor). I have recently acquired a wonderful used car which delights me every time I put my key in its lock (no sexual pun intended). I will soon cohabit with a slightly deranged and heart-stoppingly gorgeous cat. I have discovered a large, grounded, multigenerational church burgeoning with friendly twenty-somethings. My life is good. I am content.

I am not, however, satisfied. I am sick of coming home to an apartment empty of life save my fifteen or so beautiful, but silent and immobile, houseplants. I am sick of spooning my stuffed Eeyore at night. I starve for a human love I can know with body -- skin, muscle, bone, and blood -- as well as with mind and heart. One of the worst things about living solo and far from family is that no one -- no one -- touches me. It's reached the point where I avoid physical contact with people because I hunger for it so badly that I fear to lose control and cling crushingly and freakily to some poor well-meaning casual toucher and thereby lose a friend. I want companionship -- not so much hours and hours of stimulating conversation and romantic candlelight dinners and walks on the beach, but life alongside someone with whom I am nearly completely, and often wordlessly, comfortable. I do not have it yet.

So. I am content. I am dissatisfied. It's not an either/or equation. (I don't put much stock in either/or equations.) Contentment deals with the big picture. Contentment is a mindset. Satisfaction deals with immediacy. Satisfaction is a reaction. I can and do discipline myself to be content. But I must also have the honesty to admit when I'm not satisfied.

It's a rutted road. I badly want to say to God, "You have blessed me with more than I ever imagined you would -- and it's enough." But I can't end the sentence that way. Instead I have to say, "You have blessed me with more than I ever imagined you would -- and I still want a human male life companion." It's a careful balance of attitude and admission.

So when someone says, "You just need to be content," my answer is that I am. The difference between contentment and satisfaction is the difference between joy and happiness. You can have one without the other. And hanged if I'm going to spend my life wispily saying, "Well...I'm single and sometimes I'm miserable and I want to back out of life altogether...but that's okay..." No. I'm going to do all that's in my power to do (which often isn't much. But it's something): Cultivate my character. Guard, protect, and defend my chastity. Expand my tastes and understandings of the world and life at large. Continue to become a gorgeous, put-together, well-balanced, poised, virtuous, funny, friendly, and gracious woman who can make a killer dinner. Enjoy myself. Meet people (lots and lots of people). Pray for the fulfillment of my heart's desires. Encourage my friends.

And not keep holding out for guys who don't matter. There are some serious losers out there. I'm not settling for one of them, because I am not and do not intend to become a serious loser myself. Maybe I'll have to hunt for those princes, maybe I'll have to bide my time and wait for them to cross my path, but I will meet them, and they will meet me. It's a matter of time, even if the wait is hair-tearingly frustrating.

My dad has always quoted to me, "Peace isn't passive." Contentment isn't shrugging in defeat and backing into the wallpaper and thinking that's all you're meant to have. Contentment isn't sighs, eye rolling, and false martyrdom. It involves openly admitting the things you still lack that make you heartsick, and holding to the goodness of the big-picture (sovereign!) God. And finding people in your situation so that you can keep each other strong. Sometimes this whole thing SUCKS. And still I'm blessed, and keeping the faith.

Hang in there, girls.

15 Comments:

  • At 7:17 PM, December 02, 2005, Blogger Marianne said…

    This is a pretty flippin' sweet post Miss SBP!
    We had to wait a bit to hear from you, but you don't disappoint!
    I'd love to hear what our other participants/readers think, since I've already stated my contentment/dissatisfaction quandary.

     
  • At 7:42 PM, December 02, 2005, Blogger Jennifer said…

    I LOOOOOOOOOOVE Sarah Peters!!!! Where've you been?

     
  • At 12:09 PM, December 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You can not be consistently dissatisfied and content. If one part of the equation is dissatisfaction then you have a problem with contentment. And, no, not the wimpy somebody-else's church's definition of contentment, the biblical definition: I have learned the secret of being conten in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or i want (whether married or single, busy or bored, touched or untouched), I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.

    I suggest you ladies learn about the power of prayer. You'll never be bored or dissatisfied again.

     
  • At 3:07 PM, December 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh ok. So let's take the above commentor's line of thought and apply it to salvation: I cannot be consistently dissatisfied with my sinful nature and yet be content in Christ.

     
  • At 7:16 PM, December 06, 2005, Blogger Marianne said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 9:07 PM, December 06, 2005, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    I love you, MP.

    And thank you, Anonymous 1, for proving my point, as Anonymous 2 points out.

    Do you, Anonymous 1, honestly say that you're happy every moment of your life? I don't know you, but I rather doubt it. And if you're not at constant high levels of happiness and satisfaction, then that's where true joy and contentment enter the picture. Because that's what I'm talking about. Real contentment is gritty, earthy, bloody, gorey, clotted and hard, enduring and being renewed IN SPITE of circumstances (rich or poor, fed or hungry, married or single, smug or searching).

    And prayer isn't just about wish fulfillment, but about sustainment. What exactly are you suggesting we pray for? I'm pretty sick of hearing "Pray!" (thus justifying your mysterious indignation and relieving your apparent sense of obligation to give your honest and seeking-to-grow sistren advice devoid of depth) without hearing for what, or why.

    I know the power of prayer, thank you, and have held to it in a life of which you know nearly nothing. In this instance, I partly pray for joy and continued grit and resolve in purity while I grow and wait, and I partly just beg God to give me my husband. Because in prayer we are to accept what is ("Thy will be done") and ask for what we want ("with thanksgiving, present your requests to God" -- and you bet that I can be terribly sad or discontent at a situation and still through faith give thanks for it) at the same time. Oh yes. At the same time.

    I think MP struck a point when she mentioned that our God is above and beyond binary oppositions. I think that is the issue that offends you, Anonymous 1. I don't know why that would be, but your comment suggested that you had not fully read or digested the post, rather than suggested that you care about our betterment with any form of love, or understand what we at this blog are attempting to accomplish -- true growth in personhood and purity, mutual encouragement in the difficulty of making our way "alone," and an open forum for honest, gritty, witty, fun, intelligent discussions of our current situations and stories, which, while frustrating, provide plenty of fodder for entertainment. (And if you can't laugh about something, what's the point?)

    Sorry, this isn't a place where black and white alone hold sway. We also like the shades of gray here at Fabulous Females, shades of gray which exist, and which deserve weighing in light of the absolutes. A lot of times the answers will be "both/ands" rather than "either/ors."

    Them's the facts, ma'am.

     
  • At 10:58 PM, December 06, 2005, Blogger Marianne said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 7:18 AM, December 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "And prayer isn't just about wish fulfillment..."

    "Do you, Anonymous 1, honestly say that you're happy every moment of your life? I don't know you, but I rather doubt it."

    I never said either. I certainly didn't mean to imply either. You tried to say that consistent dissatisfaction and discontentment are not the same thing. I had the nerve to disagree with you. While you're busy stringing me up and whipping me with your (many) words (a good reason to stay anonymous) why don't you stop trying to read so much into it.

    We agree that life isn't perfect all the time. I guess I would have used the word "frustrated" instead of "dissatisfied." Is there any chance MISCOMMUNICATION could be the issue here?

    We agree that God desires a relationship with us—most times that happens through prayer. what do I suggest you pray (about)? everything, of course. Prayer is the all-day conversation we should have with the Father. It is the outpouring of a love relationship with Him. It is worship. It’s acknowledging that He exists. It’s faith. It's casting ALL your cares upon Him knowing that He cares for you. It's part of the spiritual relationship with Him that you one day hope to symbolically have physically/emotionally with a husband. Your frustration (dissatisfaction, loneliness, boredom) rises from that longing. Your hope is in that. While that might not be terribly wrong, it is the wrong focus. I merely tried to point out the need to keep the focus on your loving heavenly Father and stop talking (so very much) about what you don't have. Obviously I struck a nerve.

    You're all highly intelligent. Perhaps that is why you spend so much time and effort picking apart every word. Perhaps that explains all the defensive anger in your responses. Nothing was meant to offend.

    Tell me, what is so horribly wrong about challenging you to develop your relationship with the Father?

    PS: No verses on finding satisfaction or fulfillment in the Lord???? You’re joking right?

     
  • At 6:50 PM, December 07, 2005, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Sigh.

    Okay. What struck a nerve in your first comment was, first of all, the condescending tone of your delivery. And then the content, which strongly seemed to invalidate what was said and agreed upon in the post, which it was apparently not intended to do. Your second comment (particularly "I would have used the word 'frustrated' instead of dissatisfied'") indicates that we were never in disagreement all along. If I understand you correctly, the only thing you objected to in the post was word choice (and I fail to see any difference between frustration and dissatisfaction that is meaningful to the discussion. Both words mean that you don't have what you want. Contentment means that you have peace about it). So it looks like there's actually no argument.

    And if all you wanted to say was, "Yeah it's tough, life isn't always easy, and we're at some point all in the same boat; but hang in there and focus on your relationship with the Father and that will sustain you and be infinitely rewarding," why didn't you say something more to that effect, instead of "I suggest you ladies learn about the power of prayer"? There was nothing sympathetic, mentoring, or challenging in the wording (speaking of wording) of your remark. I felt instead patronized, as though you hadn't really listened to what the post had said to begin with and didn't particularly care about the humanity (us) in the situation, as long as we got our "theology" right (and since we're most of us fairly to ravingly conservative Christians, I'm sure that your theology and ours on paper would agree). So your tone was abrasive, callous, and superior, and your message deaf to our expressed hurt and expressed joy.

    Since we all agree that life isn't perfect all the time, I hope you understand that the Fabulous Females agree (as per the post) that we're sad but persevering -- falling precisely within the biblical mandate for living. As Marianne noted, David's psalms are full of verses saying, in essence, "God, this SUCKS! This isn't fair! I don't deserve this! Do something!!!" that coincide with beautiful passages of faith and trust. He pretty much exemplified what I'm talking about -- honesty, sorrow, dissatisfaction, frustration, and anguish coexistant with thanksgiving, joy, trust, hope, and contentment. What a man.

    So maybe you meant to challenge us. You should work on your presentation though. Because encouragement is always welcome. So is recognition that what we're doing (like what anyone else in any circumstance is doing) isn't easy. A little listening and a gentle word go a long way with the dissatisfied/frustrated/hurting. Because if you look at the stories we've shared on the blog so far, you'll see that we're making the best of it, and continuing to grow. As one of the extremely vulnerable populations among the contemporary church, we the singles appreciate real and loving support, and tact.

     
  • At 5:58 AM, December 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I’ll work on my presentation skills.

    Someone mentioned binary opposition at some point. Can I just point out two scriptures that illustrate that? First, James 1:2 says to “consider it pure joy when you face trials of many kinds… because in the end youll be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” Second, Paul tells the Corinthians that though he is “crushed, persecuted, and abandoned” that he considers those as “light and momentary afflictions because they are achieving for him an eternal glory that far outweighs the persecution. Following Christ is the opposite of everything your natural man wants. It is binary opposition at its finest. Take a day or two and meditate on those scriptures. James and Paul weren’t being flippant. They knew trials. Line up those scriptures with what you all have said about dissatisfaction. Are you considering that times of dissatisfaction or other trials could be viewed as a source of joy because they are supposed to lead you to maturity and completion (if you allow them to)? That’s where I was coming from.

    Do me a favor. Look at a typical day. How many hours do spend watching tv/movies? How many hours do you have the radio on? How many hours do you read books or magazines? What kind of books/mags? What are you filling your mind with? Scrutinize your life. Does your time in prayer and the Word match up with what you say is important? Can you say that your growing spiritually? I’m not asking you to do this because I think youll fail to match up to some false standard I have. I don’t even want to know the answers. Its all fyi. Sometimes dissatisfaction comes because we’re trying to fill our need for God with other things. Its worth checking.

    One last thing: the comment about “I prayed, then I a priest asked me out.” What was that supposed to mean? Praying didn’t work? Was there a connection?

     
  • At 6:58 AM, December 09, 2005, Blogger Marianne said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 9:06 AM, December 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow. You have such talent with the written word and yet you use it to clobber people. why so much anger? I attempted to be kinder, gentler, and thoughtful in my last comment...thanks to SBP's admonitions. What are you so afraid of Marianne? why do you need to lash out so harshly?

    I'm college educated. I have a rewarding and challenging life. You're trying so desperately to marginalize me. You want so badly to believe that I'm a shallow, no nothing....why? Why are YOU being so judgemental? I think perhaps Marianne is afraid that I'm on to something and terrified to admit it.

    So quit the conversation if you want. ignore me. Yes, you are better than me. I get the distinct impression that your intelligence is your stumbling block.

    When you say it in French the attitude really comes out.

     
  • At 10:03 AM, December 09, 2005, Blogger Marianne said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11:30 AM, December 09, 2005, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Oh my.

    I thought Anonymous's comment following mine was much more kindly put (for which I thank you). The admonitions, always good to apply, are ones that we're actively applying...and all of the things you brought to our attention we're already meditating on, and agreeing with you one hundred percent, insofar as seeking joy (not happiness) beyond our present circumstances.

    Again, I think it's mostly definitions we're stumbling over. I thought Anonymous was pointing out exactly what we were talking about, with God overturning binary oppositions (thus allowing us to find joy in pain and trials, which overturns the pain-bad/comfort-good opposition).

    And I liken the relationship between joy and happiness to the relationship between contentment and satisfaction/nonfrustration. The verse in James essentially tells us, not to say, "I lost my job, yayyy, oh goody!" but to say, "I lost my job, crap, but because I know that this trial will (hopefully) show me God's provision and (definitely) strengthen my faith, I don't have to despair. I can find joy in trusting God through the trial because I know he 'works out all things to the good of those who love him.'" Christ in Gethsemane wasn't clapping his hands and jumping up and down about his impending horrible death (wasn't happy), but one of Paul's letters (Philippians? I can't remember offhand) tells us that Christ "for the joy set before him endured the cross" -- so joy is looking ahead beyond sucky or painful circumstances to the ultimate end: The manifest goodness and triumph of God. Every verse that mentions joy mentions it side-by-side with reminders of eternal life and glory, ultimate completion in being made in the image of Christ, or being present with the Father. Joy (and contentment) are otherworldly. This is what makes them more important than happiness (and satisfaction), although it's good to admit when we're not happy or satisfied, thus making us more able to recognize the difference between the eternal and the temporal, and strive more for what we cannot yet see.

    Anyway, in the end I think we mostly agree.

    And a gentle FYI, Anonymous: You have no way of knowing this, but our lives are terribly stressful at this point and end-of-year/end-of-semester crazinesses are killing us, so hopefully with the holiday we'll all get some rest soon.

    And, if I may say, Marianne has been a paragon of faith and steadfastness in her life. She's having tremendous influence (though possibly unrecognized by the people she's influencing)on the morally adrift and faith-depleted people around her. I'm encouraged and spurred on by her example. Great minds that belong to people of great faith are greatly needed in the academic community, and the road isn't at all easy, and she's amazing.

    And I'm doing my best in my largely agnostic workplace...sometimes the stress is incredible, and we get weary, and we persevere by faith, but it would be nice (especially around the holidays) to have someone's hand to hold (especially since Christmas is all about, essentially connection: God-to-human and human-to-human). So it stings a little more now to be alone, even more so than around Valentine's Day. Making me in particular more susceptible to discontentment (not just dissatisfaction) and crankier and sadder.

    So pray for us! And I hope you're seeking to grow in your struggle areas as well!

     
  • At 8:29 AM, December 10, 2005, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Yayyyy, Boss Meg is here! How long have you been blog-stalking me, you sneaky Boss you??

    Oh and don't buy that crap Meg said about not being a writer or up to academic standards. She's the reason I haven't gone crazy in the work force (or if I've gone crazy, it's a great kind of crazy). And she pretty much writes all the policy forms that we have, and very well, if I may say. And debates of politics and religion with Meg are just plain FUN.

    Hm. As for non-Christians at the Center...Mike. Possibly Katherine Dick (unless she's a Buddhist Christian?). Possibly Andrew. Okay, so maybe just a handful, but I dunno, Meg, I feel like religion is something that's never discussed, making it feel agnostic. Or...maybe what I meant was non-Protestant, because Protestant is its own animal and I feel very outnumbered in the Notre Dame area (though not as outnumbered as you must feel!).

    Sweet. Comment again. It's refreshing to get out of the point-by-point(less) doctrinal debates that bog us down from time to time (as much fun as they can be, I get bored). And it will probably draw our attentions to overlooked and worthy areas.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home