Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Monday, January 29, 2007

a little naked honesty

I -- once -- was better
I put off all my grief
I put off all my grief

~Sufjan Stevens


I woke up in a rage today. It's beginning to happen more frequently, where the absence of a body next to me in the bed makes my eyes hot and my stomach clench. I seethe in the shower. I hit the accelerator a little too hard on the way to work. I slam papers and staplers down on the desks. I yell at the computer for booting up too slowly. I kick the copier just because I hate it.

But then my boss talked to me this morning about "fishing," and asked me some questions about what kind of man I'm looking to find, and gave me some tips on where to go to find him. He concluded the conversation with, "We need to get you someone. We can't have you sad all the time."

And I thought, Sad? Angry, almost always; sarcastic, definitely; ferocious, yes -- at least about this topic. But I'm happy about plenty of other things. My cat, my cooking, my friends, my family, God.

He's a shrewd one, my boss. He doesn't miss much. Under every emotion I emit, there's a grief. Every day I mourn my aloneness. I can't shake it.

I'm not sure why the human psyche almost instantaneously converts sorrow to anger -- perhaps because anger tends to give a person strength, and I need to hold it together through each day, not fall apart; or perhaps because anger is easier to handle. I'd much rather be furious than sad. There's something -- well, anger burns, and that can be distracting and thrilling. Nothing compares to a brilliantly constructed, irate sentence that pointedly gets across something true in the meanest way possible. Anger causes pain. Anger is satisfying.

Grief is not. Grief saps the strength, dulls the ambition, kills the wit, swallows joy. And I think I feel guilty about grief because it doesn't get anything accomplished; it's not productive. I can do a lot in one day when I'm in a rage; I can barely get out of bed when I'm swamped in sorrow. Which is fine if you're mourning the death of a pet, or the loss of a job, or the protracted illness of a loved one, because you're supposed to grieve in those situations, and the grief eventually fades as you cope, heal, and keep moving forward.

But this? This aloneness? This lack of companionship, lack of physical intimacy, lack of love and touch and purpose and children? This shallow dependency on a job for life fulfillment, instead of a family? I carry it with me every day, everywhere. It doesn't end. There's no set expiration date on my single status. It could end tomorrow, or it could never end at all. It's not a grief that comes from loss; it's a grief that comes from absence, from never having had, and so it's not something you necessarily go through the Five Stages of Mourning or whatever to get past. I go through them all the time, and in no particular order. Some days I deny that I care, or I'm angry, or I try making deals with God, or I cry, or I'm content. But I don't get over it. The cycle spins out all over again, from day to day or even minute to minute. It has no locus in time, so time doesn't heal it.

I tend to ignore the fact that all anger stems from hurt or sorrow. Probably most other people do, too, and so we seem to be a rampaging army of Angry Young Women, and we look scary and estrogen-charged and unreasonable, when if you were to view us when we're alone, you'll probably find us sad, because the one thing we want most is continually denied us, and we don't know why, and we can't see a way out, and it hurts us.

I wake myself up crying sometimes. I was built to belong to a family, to have my own, to be someone's companion and helpmeet and lover. I was built to raise delightful, beautiful, confident children. But time continues to pass, and I'm alone.

So there it is. My rage and accusations pinpoint pieces of truth, but they also mask a sorrow so consuming I'm never free of it, even in my moments of blazing joy in Christ. And it's especially horrible because I don't understand why this yearning, which unfulfillment is the wellspring of the grief, hasn't been fulfilled.

I know it's better to be alone than to marry the wrong person, but why haven't I found the right person? Why hasn't he found me? Why does no one ask me out? Is there something wrong with me?

I'm not incomplete in myself. But I'm incomplete in my life. And I don't understand.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:29 PM, January 29, 2007, Blogger Marianne said…

    Oh my gosh! You are only 25! The train of opportunity has NOT passed. That way lies tears and despair.
    BUT, I will not gloss over your very real pain and anxiety, loneliness and fear. That sort of trivializing has led to the repressed emotions of millions of young women, who make self-deprecating jokes rather than face the real problem.
    So, you're being proactive; you subscribed to eharmony; it's a new year. Keep on being that proactive. You could play my game I look around at other women and think: she's completely awful/incompetent/a shrew/ and SHE managed to find a guy, so I must just be having extraordinary bad luck. That's MUCH safer than trying to ferret out some deep flaw in our beings.

     
  • At 2:09 PM, January 29, 2007, Blogger Dawn said…

    I guess we're left to repeating like a mantra, "God is in control. He knows what he's doing." Intellectually, I really believe that. In practice, I get discouraged. And frustrated. And sad.

     
  • At 8:08 AM, January 31, 2007, Blogger none said…

    Sarah, I keep looking at your post and trying to figure out how to respond. Because it's so honest, and it's also so familiar. I was feeling just the way you described for most of the past 6 months, only I just felt plain old sorrow instead of anger. It was like I was grieving at times, and boy did it suck. I got sick of feeling so sad all the time. That's why I had to ask God to take away my sadness even if He wouldn't change my circumstances. I don't know what to say to make you feel better because for a time there I didn't think I'd ever really feel better about this issue, but just keep turning to God in your grief and your anger. One of his many roles is that of a Comforter. Let Him comfort you, and just keep holding on. Because, really, what else can we do?

    It's funny.... even though we know this theoretically about ourselves, it becomes all that much clearer wen we meet others in our situation: there's nothing wrong or lacking in you that is keeping you single. Meeting you and Marianne put that in stark focus for me. I can look at you objectively in a way that I can't with myself and see that you are friendly, beautiful, wickedly funny, and fun to be around, and it makes me think "wow, it really isn't fair that Sarah is single." You're the kind of person I'd set up with a friend (if I had any worth recommending.. sorry). To realize that you have so much to offer and yet have no one worthwhile to offer it to...It's enough to make a girl bitter, which is the last thing we want to be.

     
  • At 9:34 AM, February 01, 2007, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Thanks, Jess. The same certainly applies to you.

    It's been a little easier the past couple of days...I know my mom has lain awake at least one night praying for me, and with the winter being so beautiful, it's been kind of a balm to the soul.

    Probably too it helped just to get all that stuff out there; it's burdensome to carry it around in secret, like a cancer.

    Plus (and I hope to be blogging about this on my Coffee Spoons blog soon) I've finally awakened to my purpose in life, and it's something I can start doing now, and it's terrifically exciting, and takes the edge off the despair. As long as I'm writing, other things, though still important, fade from crises to things that can be endured bearably.

    And who knows what's around the corner...

     
  • At 2:31 PM, February 02, 2007, Blogger David said…

    I've heard it said that "depression is merely anger without enthusiasm."

    So...I'm not sure if its good that you have the enthusiasm...or not.

    I'm going to throw out one more suggestion for The Sacred Romance. I've been asking some of the same questions you are right now, and its really been helping me.

     
  • At 3:36 PM, February 02, 2007, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Um, the person who came up with that adage was clearly never depressed. It's a factor, of course, the anger and the lack of energy, but there's no "merely" about it. It's not like people who suffer from depression just need to work up the momentum to get pissed off; they're biologically incapable of feeling happy, and the smallest, simplest tasks require monumental amounts of effort. Opening your mail becomes a feat worthy of celebration. It goes far, far beyond sadness; depression makes a person feel, not sad, but void. Heavily so. There is nothing, you are nothing, the nothingness is all there is, and you sink into it, and there never was nor will be a lightening.

    As one coming out of a year of pretty strong clinical depression, I can say that this underlying sadness isn't quite the same thing. It contributes, but is a reality unto itself. In other words, heartbreak worsens depression, but is itself not depression.

    Anyway, thanks for the book tip. I'll look into it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home