Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Friday, March 09, 2007

The condensed (but still long) version of a much longer story.

I don't even know where to start. This will probably take a few posts to get out in any real way, but the short story is this: I'm a Christian. I believe in commitment and sex only in marriage. But in the last year and half, I had sex, fell in love, and had an abortion. In that order, and all involving the same man. It's pretty damning when you put it all into one sentence. But in the moment, even now, it never seemed quite so terrible.

He's not a Christian. Rather, he's a good friend that I've known for years and one of the most giving will-go-out-of-his-way-for-you people I know. From the beginning we took our relationship seriously, and it didn't take us long to decide that things wouldn't work and so we tried to stay away from each other. But in spite of our resolutions, it never worked.

We get along incredibly well and the day to day has always been really good, so on a practical level it overcame rationality. And we're both more driven intellectually than emotionally, which is what made this surprising. All of our friends, people who know us well, think we're a great couple and can't understand why we've had such reservations about being together and are always trying to not be dating. The person with the dealbreaker reservations has shifted throughout our relationship. Sometimes I didn't want to commit. Sometimes he didn't. Initially it was because he wanted kids and I didn't. Don't. And he's not a Christian, even though we often have interesting discussions on spiritual topics.

After half a year we ended up having sex. It wasn't intentional on either side. It's strange that somehow the line got so blurry, blurry enough that the day he thought we crossed the line is different than the day I thought we did. There's about a month's difference in our estimations. I agonized over that for a while, but it's hard to stay away from something when you've already gone there (though I wouldn't repeat this situation with another man. Honestly, there's a part of me that kind of wonders if Christians hold sex to too high of a standard. But that's another set of musings for another day).

Long story short, in spite of our best intentions we've had a hard time staying away from each other, even when we realized that we should because this couldn't go anywhere. It's partially physical, partially emotional, partially just because we get along as friends so well. We weren't very careful about birth control, and in August I realized I was pregnant. At that point we discussed all sorts of options and decided to get an abortion (I was only at six weeks gestation, if I'd done it any later I wouldn't have been able to rationalize the choice). It sounds almost glib as I write it, but neither of us could really eat or sleep for a week and I was terrified. So was he.

Oddly enough, that situation brought us closer in a lot of ways, though I think it revealed a heartless side of my personality. I've always been pro-life (what good Christian isn't) but there I was, making a choice because not only was the timing terrible, but I don't want kids. Ever. And the biggest problem: I couldn't admit to the world around me that I was sleeping with someone I wasn't married to. But I feel a little heartless because in spite of everything I don't regret doing it. I do feel like a hypocrite though, because none of my friends, even my roommates (and there are three of them), realize that I'm not a virgin anymore. Much less the rest.

You'd think that after that whole situation, faced with the reality that push come to shove we couldn't just get married on the spot even though we really care about each other, we'd be able to break up for real. But again it didn't work. I love him, and I realized that a few months before the whole pregnancy situation. Even now I'd marry him if he truly wanted to do it. In the end what changed appreciably was that we became really careful about birth control anytime we ended up having sex (which again, wasn't usually entirely intentional).

But here's the thing: he doesn't love me. The abortion made him realize that even though he's been saying for his entire life that he wants a family and kids, when he had a chance for all of that at once he freaked out instead. Maybe he doesn't want that after all. Maybe it was just the situation at hand. Which leaves him not knowing what he wants. The end of that is that as far as I can tell, whatever he wants it isn't me.

It's confusing though. He does things like bring me soup when I'm sick, unexpectedly give me money for my car insurance when I was stressing about not having enough money to pay the bill. He takes care of me, and it's only one of the many reasons that he is a great guy. (To be frank: one of my friends, not knowing even the entire story, said that he's "simultaneously a great guy and an ass"). In essence, his actions tell me that he loves me with the (significant) exception of the whole thing in August. But he doesn't think he does. And if he's confused on the point, he must not.

It's taken too long to get to this point, but right now we're not talking to each other so he has space to figure himself out on this and other issues. We're not dating. I'm not holding my breath. I want to say that we've finally broken up for real. In fact, ideally someone else would come along and sweep me off my feet so it'd be easier to move on. But even though this time apart is a good thing, he needs to do this and I know I can't have him anyway so I should really be consciously trying to move on (which I am, but it's not working very well), we haven't talked for two months and I miss him.

Even when one of us was out of town for weeks at a time or we'd tried to break up we still talked every couple of days and saw each other when we could. When we're both in town, we'd usually hang out every couple days even if it was just as friends and/or with other people. Right now in two months between the two of us we've sent four emails.

It hurts. I don't cry much, but I've been crying most nights for the last two months. It's not even the crying that's so horrible, but it's a physical pain that starts somewhere in my chest and travels out to my fingers. I see things that only he would find either interesting or amusing and have no one to share them with.

I know it will pass. I once faced the end of a relationship that nearly destroyed me, we'd invested so much into it. This at least we always said could never last. But right now I'm grieving for the loss of something that in many ways has been wonderful, if simultaneously unhealthy sometimes and frustrating other times.

This thing between us has gone on for almost two years, and its ending feels real this time (though when didn't it feel real). But we haven't spent this much time apart or not communicating since we started. I can't help wanting him, even though I try not to.

6 Comments:

  • At 7:46 AM, March 09, 2007, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Lesa, I don't know what to say. I'm glad you told us, because I imagine keeping all of this secret has been tearing at you.

    Are you involved in a church at all? Are you nearby any family? Have you talked to anyone at all, in or outside the church, about this?

    You're going through a lot right now, and it's important -- imperative -- not to be alone. You'll need support in the form of people in close physical proximity to you -- people you know, with faces, hands, people who can hug you and who can listen.

    Do you have anyone like that? A part of the body, separated from the rest of the body, can't last long. However frightening it might be to tell someone, however humiliating to admit certain kinds of failure, in others' eyes or your own, you will need, deeply, the kind of caring that people who love you can give you -- even if it makes them sorrowful.

    And even if you don't feel like any of it mattered all that much -- the sex, the abortion, the relationship itself -- that you're crying a lot, just from missing him, means that he was important to you, and that kind of hurting, that kind of trauma, requires support.

    The message of Christ, even to the redeemed (especially to the redeemed) is in great part about healing. Because redemption is healing. You belong to Jesus, and I've found He's good at not letting go of the people who are His.

    Is there anyone you know whom you can talk to, if you haven't already?

     
  • At 10:32 AM, March 09, 2007, Blogger aunt carol said…

    Dear Lesa:
    Crying most nights for two months is SERIOUS, and I suspect it has much more to do with your abortion than with the end of your relationship with your boyfriend. Find a crisis pregnancy center near you and call their hotline and tell them what you've told us. I volunteered at a center for five years, and I want you to know you are not alone. Please, please seek some help. They will not judge you, because many of them have been in your exact situation.
    Keep us posted on how you are doing. I will be praying for you.

     
  • At 1:45 PM, March 09, 2007, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Lesa, my heart truly goes out to you. You're hurting in many ways, and I can't imagine the pain you feel. I'm always here to listen, and although I can't speak for everyone on FF, I'm confident that we all want to offer support and an ear to you.
    First of all, I will definitely be praying for you. That Jesus speeds up your healing process ASAP. That He'll provide for your every need, emotionally and spiritually.
    In the way of advice, an accountability partner/mentor would be a good thing to have right now. Someone you can be honest with to share what you're going through, someone who won't judge you.
    Seeing the (Christian) psychologist at my college really helped me through a break up when I was a sophomore. After C (who wasn't a Christian) broke things off with me, I couldn't eat, sleep, study, or even smile. It happened on a Friday and I spent about 48 hours in my dorm room alone sobbing. That was hands down the most heart-wrenching experience I've ever had. I'd made the tragic mistake of putting way too much stock into this relationship with a guy that didn't care about me and didn't know Jesus. My weight dropped down from 90 to 80 pounds in the month afterward.
    Seeing Dr. Throckmorton, getting a prescription for Zoloft, and really reaching out and needing God desperately really turned things around.
    You also need to not see this man. Not because he's a horrible person or because he's dangerous, but because it will be extremely tempting to be with him. That's where having that accountability partner comes into play. You and the guy may get along wonderfully and have amazing physical chemistry, but the bottom line is that you don't share the single most important factor in your life. If he doesn't understand that, he will NEVER understand who you are. Lesa, you need and deserve that.
    Sarah is right about you belonging to Jesus. He loves you exactly the same as he did before this experience. Don't fall into Satan's trap of thinking you're less of a person or less of a Christian. If we had to live perfect lives, heaven would be completely empty. Nothing you, or I, or anyone else does will save us. We are utterly incompetent. It's God's grace and unconditional love that's what's so special about our relationship with Him. He shows us mercy because we are His children.

    If you would like a private ear, feel free to email me at j.l.steffen@gmail.com or IM at fifthtigerofasia.

    Jennifer

     
  • At 1:42 AM, March 10, 2007, Blogger Lesa said…

    I've talked to people, Christians and not, about this, but I've never told anyone the entire story. All of this matters, obviously in a very deep way. But no, I don't have anyone I can talk to. Not that I feel close to and is in the same city. But I don't intend to tell anyone around me the whole story. Getting it out on this blog has actually helped a lot. (So thanks!)

    I don't want to give the impression that I'm sobbing all the time. I've been crying a lot more than normal, but when I say that I've been crying most nights it hasn't been all out sobbing every night. Sometimes it's just a few tears. I'm broken up about this (obviously) but no one has any idea that things are so rough in my life right now. It's only when I'm by myself that the emotions really surface.

    Carol: This will doubtless sound strange to you, but it's not the abortion itself that bothers me but the fact that doing it has messed with my integrity. Because I have this squeaky clean image that I actually don't live up to. In this area, anyway. I never thought I'd get one. Never thought I'd have sex before I was married. But I did. It's the fact that I'm lying by omission that bothers me, but that applies to both the sex and the abortion. But as much as I don't like this, I'm going to live with it. I don't think getting it into the open in my off-line life will make things any better.

    Thanks so much for all the prayers. It really means a lot.

     
  • At 1:53 AM, March 10, 2007, Blogger Lesa said…

    I should probably mention that I did talk to a crisis pregnancy center back in August. They were good to me. But I've avoided them in the aftermath. What would I say to them now?

    What surprised me was that Planned Parenthood was actually really good to me too. It didn't jive with everything I'd heard about them.

     
  • At 4:48 PM, March 13, 2007, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    I too had a decent experience with Planned Parenthood when I had to go in there in my impoverished days for my annual GYN visit. They were very considerate, and unlike my GYN from home, they believed me when I informed them I was not, nor had ever been, sexually active. (Of course, who has any reason to lie to Planned Parenthood?)

    But the huge benefit to crisis pregnancy and women's care centers is that they're there for the aftermath, too. They're not going to write you off because you went through with an abortion; in fact, they're there to offer a listening ear regardless of a woman's actions or choices. That's what they're for -- for the woman. No matter what her situation. And considering the considerable physical and emotional effects an abortion has on a woman, however mentally prepared for it she was, that kind of listening ear can help toward healing.

    I doubt Planned Parenthood offers post-abortion counseling.

    Again, I've never been in your situation. I don't know exactly what I'd do in your shoes. But I echo Aunt Carol in saying that I do think that there's something more to your current depression than losing the man you loved.

    Would it hurt to cover all your bases?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home