Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

what can a girl do?

So, this is what happened this afternoon:

I walk into Wal-Mart (please, nobody shoot me) unshowered, unmakeupped, bloated, breaking out, dressed in old jeans, a hoodie, and sneakers, with my unwashed, unbrushed hair pulled carelessly back into a half-done ponytail -- the American woman's equivalent of a burlap sack. Not only modest, but sloppy and downright unfeminine.

Some creepy guy ogles me, and when I notice, says, as if compelled, "Sweet ass," and "You're kind of sexy."

I was coldly polite and strode away in as much of an opposite direction as possible.

The only thing more I could have done was wear a ski mask. But maybe that wouldn't have helped either.

I give up, folks! I give up.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:22 PM, March 10, 2007, Blogger none said…

    This happens to me all the time, whether I'm dressed as you describe above or whether I look nicer (though always modest). Heaven forbid I wear a dress, and try to walk to church or dinner without being catcalled. And come on, it's not like I'm THAT hot. haha I went out in a mobile homeless outreach van yesterday, and all of the homeless guys I was trying to help kept hitting on me. I had purposefully worn loose jeans, sneakers, a hoodie, and a jacket, and my hair was in a ponytail. It really doesn't matter. I suggest posting on your local Hollaback blog; it's highly cathartic.

     
  • At 10:07 PM, March 10, 2007, Blogger Jennifer said…

    One suggestion: Wear a t-shirt Mac wore on Veronica Mars. It said simply, "Ask Me About My STD!"

     
  • At 11:30 PM, March 10, 2007, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    LOL.

    It's not that I mind people noticing, you understand; I'm comfortable with my looks and, having no one but my cat at home (who loves me all the time, except when he's grumpy, but none of that is about how I look), I kind of savor -- not the crass remarks -- but the genuine appreciation that comes along.

    I just think it's funny in the context of our recent conversations. What can you say? Maybe you can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can please some of the people all of the time. No matter what you're wearing.

     
  • At 7:30 PM, March 12, 2007, Blogger David said…

    Happens to me all the time too.

    Disgusting. Wish I could be of more help.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home