Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Saturday, December 10, 2005

The Pseudo-Boyfriend

If you're like me, you've been in this situation. You're single. You know a guy who's single. You're not dating, but you hang out an awful lot, even doing "couple-ish" stuff like movies and dinner. Other people think you ARE dating. The parents meet him and tell you they think he's "a nice guy" as if to say you should be together. In fact, you may have feelings for this man - or vice versa. But heck, you really aren't sure because things are rather ambiguous between the two of you.
Yes, I am talking about the PSEUDO-BOYFRIEND. The only real boyfriend I've had was about four years ago. Lately, I've been thinking about all those gray relationships I've had with different guys over the years. I can't believe how confusing they all were! Sure we were just friends, but I can't lie about the fact that I would have dated most of them if the topic had ever come up. At first I would convince myself that everything was cool. Then I realized how much time I've spent one on one with guys I considered friends, and how some of those situations crossed the line. We were essentially using each other to fill that void of not having somebody in our lives. Our outings were really dates in everything but name. One way to test if you've got a pseudo-boyfriend is this... Think about what you do with this person. Would you be hanging out with them and doing the same things if you had a REAL boyfriend? If the answer is no, chances are, you've become a pseudo-girlfriend.
Unfortunately, when you're single, sometimes it's difficult not to get your hopes up when you meet somebody... anybody.
This is a November 3, 2004 excerpt from a wonderfully written column by Camerin Courtney, available at ChristianityToday.com.
"But then, I guess that answer's pretty obvious, too. We live in a romance-soaked, paired-off world. We were wired for relationships, to love and be loved. There's nothing like the rush of a new romance. And when you haven't had any signs of interest, let alone a date, for some time, even scraps or cheap imitations of kindling love interest can seem like something worth nursing and coaxing into anything remotely resembling a flame.
It makes me sad that we women especially seem susceptible to the temptation to settle for crumbs of interest or crummy treatment in relationships. After all, a She's Just Not That Into You seems laughable. That's not to say that guys are the only ones doling out bad treatment in relationships or that they aren't capable of good treatment and the ability to commit. I'm sure this has a lot to do with women's need for security, our God-given nesting instincts, self-esteem issues, and a myriad other things that everyone from sociologists to Doctor Phil have tried to explain and remedy over the years."
The conclusion I've come to about the pseudo-relationship situation is that it's unhealthy. It gives women and men artificial ideals and half-truths about real romantic relationships. God wants the real thing for us, not a convenient arrangement where both parties have lukewarm concern and care for each other. I am not saying that male/female relationships are doomed or inappropriate. They can be wonderful and healthy. But we shouldn't be using a male friend as a stand-in boyfriend. We shouldn't be involved with a men who "just aren't that into us." And by using friends of the opposite sex to enjoy the benefits of a relationship without having to initiate or make any commitments is wrong.
Thinking back, I've not only had one boyfriend, but about five psuedo-boyfriends. (I think most guys see me very platonically) The only real difference was the lack of physical contact. When I see past flashbacks, sometimes it does hurt. Why does a guy invite you out for coffee and then lament about his lack of a girlfriend? That's happened to me quite a few times, and it's almost insulting. Like I'm worth "hanging" with but not worthy of a real date. I think the word "date" has come to invoke inherent fear in some men. Chill out guys! It's a date! You don't have to marry the girl, and it doesn't meet you're dating, or in a relationship. A date is just about getting to know someone, which is the same as hanging out in everything but name.
I'm rather tired of being a pseudo-girlfriend. Being the movie date, taking them shopping, folding their laundry, meeting their PARENTS, helping them study, cooking for them, running errands and doing favors. It's like being in a relationship minus all the frosting. No stability, no kissing, no sex, no flowers, no hope for anything else. Thanks for nothing! Don't get me wrong. I love my guy friends, and I love BEING a friend. But no one deserves to be taken advantage of. I've been practicing long enough, and I'm ready for the real thing.

12 Comments:

  • At 7:40 PM, December 12, 2005, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    I just love the pseudo-boyfriend (and by that I mean I hate him). My senior year in college I decided to stop wasting time on useless, pointless, fruitless "friendships" with men. (This is why I don't have any intimate guy friends. I don't really believe in such an animal anyway. If you're great friends with a guy, one of the two is probably going to fall in love with the other, and either you'll get married or pseudo-break up.)

    This is not to say that I don't talk to guys (although I don't talk to them often...among other things I have a tendency to be mistrustful and shy) but I prefer to talk to men in a social, group atmosphere. First, the potential for a hilarious popcorn-effect buildup of humor and wit increases astronomically when more people are involved. Second, I get to see what he's like around other people. Third, I'm spared the fate of the pseudo-girlfriend.

    I became acquaintances with a guy in college who laughed with me after class and ate lunch with just me three times a week and who was seriously attractive. One night after a spring break he took me out to coffee and there, just as I was working up the nerve to ask him out, he started telling me about the girl he liked. I was, first, incredibly relieved that he divulged this information before I made an ass of myself; and second, slightly disgusted. Mentally I brushed off my hands, and the next day stopped eating lunch with him and rejoined my mealtime crowd of raunchy, funny friends who all yelled, "Where have you BEEN???" and we proceeded to build a conversation that drove away all nearby diners. Shortly afterward this guy and I had very little to do with each other.

    Some people criticized me for getting rid of him, but I truly didn't see the point in keeping him around. Perhaps it's a utilitarian view of ordinary relationships, but I had nothing to offer him (besides support in pursuing his crush, and frankly, screw that), and he clearly had nothing to offer me besides a demand for that support. And once that "let me moan to you about my unreciprocated love" subject is broached, it's never finished; you'll be helping him out with his girl problems until the day you leave town, and forgetting about all the reasons you became friends in the first place. So why bother?

    And I hate being taken advantage of, particularly since I used to let it happen a lot, so that it seldom happens now. I'm helpful, and nice; but I'm nobody's fool, for the most part, and I make a very bad enabler.

    This has kept me free of pseudo-girlfriend status for awhile. Also starkly free of guy friends. So I'm reevaluating the habitual total ostracization policy (because clearly there's something wrong with that too), but if a guy just wants to use me for unclear void-filling purposes, he can turn his sappy sucker radar elsewhere. I don't do that to anyone else, and I expect similar honest treatment. It's only respectful.

     
  • At 6:17 AM, December 13, 2005, Blogger aunt carol said…

    "I'm rather tired of being a pseudo-girlfriend. Being the movie date, taking them shopping, folding their laundry, meeting their PARENTS, helping them study, cooking for them, running errands and doing favors."

    Please, PLEASE tell me I am misunderstanding this. Please tell me you are NOT doing a man's laundry without a marriage certificate!
    Would you do Marianne's laundry? Sara's shopping? (not counting if they were sick or had a broken limb, etc) Any guy that would LET you do his laundry is so not worthy of a woman like you.

    My son told me that some of the girls at school were doing their dishes (he lives in an apt on campus with 3 other guys). I was furious! He said he told them not to, but "Mom, they said they WANTED to wash our dishes." That's when I asked for their names so I could give them a piece of my mind. Unfortunately, he wouldn't squeal.

    Being in the company of a beautiful, intelligent witty woman like you and the other contributors on this post is a priviledge. Always remember, washing underwear is for the sanctity of the marriage relationship ONLY!

     
  • At 4:01 PM, December 13, 2005, Blogger Babba-Gi said…

    Ah, Marriage the ultimate Pseudo-Relationship. Of course I used her; "She Was There"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 9:09 AM, December 14, 2005, Blogger Aunt Annie said…

    Carol:
    I know! Premarital laundry is the Christian alternative to premarital sex. Talk about getting in their pants. Yuck!

    What will they think of next?
    AA

     
  • At 9:10 AM, December 14, 2005, Blogger Aunt Annie said…

    PS: Tommy, shame on you!

     
  • At 9:16 AM, December 14, 2005, Blogger jondale said…

    Yeah but then on the flip side you have the guys who are in the same boat, had similar events happen, are coming to the same conclusions and approach relationships with girls in the same way, with shields raised and swords drawn.

    We are skiddish of each other for the same reasons and honesty seems to only prompt chastisement, ridicule, scorn and stand-offishness from all sides.

    Honestly, I think a key element is just two people saying, "The heck with you all." It's finding or meeting that other person that is the hard part...at least until you find or meet that other person and think to yourself, "Why did I get so worked up about this before?"

     
  • At 9:36 AM, December 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This blog is pretty much the xtian version of Sex & The City...though I like to call it Virgins in the Suburbs. Neither one has anything redeeming about it. Just a bunch of females whining.

    Let them out of the kitchen and this is what happens.

    *sigh*

     
  • At 1:30 PM, December 14, 2005, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Well, Tommy, now you're just being an ass (which I strongly suspect is according to your intentions, and a clever way of not dealing with addressed issues).

    Nevertheless, while you are invited to expound upon your viewpoints and share your experiences rationally, comprehensively, and articulately, kindly refrain from fruitless needling (e.g. "Neither one has anything redeeming about it. Just a bunch of females whining"), which hardly serves to further open communication or foster solidarity between the sexes.

    You are henceforth invited to keep your cynical jibes to yourself, if that is all you have to contribute. Otherwise, please share.

    For instance: Jon, I'd like to hear more about guys "coming to the same conclusions and approaching relationships with girls in the same way." What's it like for the XY people on the flip side?

     
  • At 7:29 PM, December 22, 2005, Blogger jondale said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 7:34 PM, December 22, 2005, Blogger jondale said…

    The fact of the matter is, as the old saying goes, "It takes two to tango." There are guys along with girls who have tried before and either didn't have a good teacher or were taught too well and were taken advantage of on the dance floor. That can only happen so many times before a guy writes off the whole thing unless (and that's a big unless) "the right girl" to ask for the next dance comes along.

    It's waiting for the right person to ask for the next dance that this whole "thing," such as this blog and the questions it is asking/addressing, comes out of.

    It's my experience that the "right guys" take their time in looking for the right girl. They're not looking to joke around and want to live for more than just finding another girl to dance with. In that time girls take a back seat in their lives, which seems to be what you all are noticing. In this sort of self imposed separation guys grow up, find out really who they are, what they are looking for in life, what they want to do, Who they want to serve...that kind of thing. Big questions and topics are wrestled with during this time and so girls aren't really noticed unless one of you really happens to turn our heads (again, a big unless).

    Eventually we come out of that time, ready to take some steps in life. The key for you all is to be patient because, one, we know you're there. Have no fear of that. We definitely know you're there. Second is a question for you all. Do you really want to date a guy who wants more out of life, doesn't want to settle, but is not sure of what exactly that means and where it will lead him? My experience tells me no.

     
  • At 11:13 AM, December 23, 2005, Blogger Marianne said…

    Good post, Jondale!
    You come across as mature and thinking. This makes sense. Like SBP said to me a few weeks ago, "You're at the store to buy a pony, but all they have right now are pigs. Do you really want a pig?"
    So, while we're waiting for the pony express to come in, here's to good friendships!

     
  • At 11:17 AM, December 25, 2005, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Thanks, Jon. That makes things look considerably more hopeful.

    Merry Christmas!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home