Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

in praise of amigas



Not to break from the last entry, but can I just say,

OH MY GOD, I’M GOING TO HARVARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[insert high-pitched, girlish scream here]

Okay, breathe, la persona, breathe. The point is not the place; for many people, admission to H.U. is no big deal, and for far too many, it’s too big of a deal. For me, however, it’s not so much about the school as it is about the impossible. My whole life I wanted to go to Harvard, but who am I kidding? I always knew I’d never get there. College alone was really rough for me. Believe it or not, I actually flunked the mandatory freshman PE class, and at one point, dropped out altogether. By the time I finally graduated, I was all but burned out. Not only was I not going to Harvard, I would not be going to graduate school. Well, I should say, if it were not for a little help from my friends.

“You need to go to graduate school!” my roommate urged me. “God gave you a gift, and you need to use it.” But I just shrugged her and the others off.

After two years of this, however, I finally conceded. I would apply to Big State University, the one that may not have had the greatest rankings but where almost everyone in my hometown ended up going. So there.

Then I received a call from my good friend, M.H., whom some of you may known.

“You need to go to graduate school,” she said. It was not a question.

“Okay, okay,” I conceded and divulged my plan to try my luck at BSU, which to me was already a bit of a long shot.

“No,” she insisted, “You need to go to Harvard. You’re talented and fabulous and I won’t let you sell yourself short. You’re too good to settle for less than the best, and I’m not letting you get off the phone until you say you’ll at least consider it.”

She’s crazy, I thought. But my cell minutes were running short and I needed to go, so I reluctantly gave her my word.

Forced by conscience to make good on my promise, I arranged and interview with the admissions office – and promptly fell in love with the place. It didn’t take long before all of the other obstacles that stood between me and my childhood dream fell into place: GRE scores, recommendation letters, transcripts, personal statements.

By August – a full 4 months before the deadline – everything was set to go. Meanwhile, I entertained my second “major” relationship, sold or gave away most of my belongings, and moved to another country. I didn’t think much of the process because I was too busy with other things, and besides, I had spent too much of my life worrying away what few chances I had.

Well, come this evening (and my hands are still shaking from shock as I type this), and I´m in! Who would have thunk? I am so amazed and blessed.

Really, then, this post is not so much about Harvard than it is about those special people in your life – the kindred spirits, if you will – who will not let you forget who special you are – no matter how ill-founded or ludicrous their faith may be. This post is a tribute to them to – girlfriends. amigas. The ones who stood by you and were there to remind you that you didn’t need a man to follow your dreams. Friends like my roommate, who, when I bombed the GRE math section on my first try, and I didn’t plan to retake it due to financial pressures, offered – no, insisted – to pay the full $130 fee. We finally worked out an arrangement that she would give me $10 for ever 10 points I improved my score. Later she made arrangements for which she jokingly referred to as the “PHTSS” – The Post Harvard Traumatic Stress Syndrome, for those souls who have staked their life meaning on admission to this fine institution, only to find out that once they graduate that it doesn’t mean so much.

And so, really it doesn’t. These friends of mine mean so much more to me than any gilded degree.

I only hope that I can be that kind of friend for someone else too someday. So let´s here it for the amigas in our lives that gave us that inimitable sense of adventure even when the guys were in short supply.

P.S. In keeping with the last entry, above is a beloved screenshot from Gilmore Girls, when Rory and Loralei visit Harvard and I believe both were between men (and certainly pre-Logan). Who says you always need a man to have a little fun? :-) Oh my God, I´m going to Harvard!!........

7 Comments:

  • At 10:15 PM, March 15, 2007, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Congratulations! Here's to making what seems impossible... possible!!! That's really, truly inspiring!

     
  • At 1:51 AM, March 16, 2007, Blogger Dawn said…

    Congratulations!!! What are you going to be studying? Doctorate or master's program? I'm excited for you!

     
  • At 4:48 AM, March 16, 2007, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Way to go, Joey!!! I'm SO GLAD for you and for your strong support system of faithful friends...those are good to have around. :)

    Yeah, give us the scoop! What are you studying?

     
  • At 6:35 AM, March 16, 2007, Blogger none said…

    I remember reading on your blog some time ago that you were applying, and I was wondering recently what the status was. And I'm so happy to hear that you were accepted. Congratulations!!! I hope you did at least 1 happy dance. :D

     
  • At 9:34 AM, March 16, 2007, Blogger la persona said…

    Hey gals, muchísimas gracias for your congrats! I wrote this so fast, I feel like I`m kind of live the shocked Emmy winner who remembers to thank everyone but her spouse. There are so many incredible women who have encouraged me through this whole rather intimidating process... including my older sister, who hand-picked my interview attire, or the friend who called me last night and screamed for 5 minutes on behalf of me. Yes, I assure you, there was a happy dance. (And not to forget about L, though a guy, who ran around taking pictures of me all over campus that happy weekend back in June and edited my personal statement in December). So many thanks due, I just cannot believe this could happen to ME.

    In any case, I was accepted into a master´s program in special studies, specifically youth community development. If you can`t find that in the course catalog, it`s because I couldn`t find any programs that suited my interests exactly, so I petitioned to create one that did. After that, who knows?

    Let´s just say if the girl who never thought she´d make it in (or out) of college made it to her dream school (a few years late, but does it matter), what can`t the rest of the fab females do? The moral of the story: Don`t give up on your dreams, or on on anyone else´s ... sometimes, they really do come true :-)

     
  • At 9:08 PM, March 16, 2007, Blogger David said…

    Wow super congrats.

    I hope you meet a bum who steals your thesis and helps you learn important life lessons that Harvard never could have taught you. That would be sweet.

     
  • At 1:10 AM, March 19, 2007, Blogger la persona said…

    Yeah, I`ve had many aspirations for my life, among which are 3 significant ones:
    1) Live abroad.
    2) Go to Harvard.
    3) Don`t let it get to my head.

    Based on my brief experience, it seems the school lends itself to some kind of ego complex in which by virtue of attending one automatically becomes somehow smarter and/or better than those who have not. In some of the classes I sat in, the general conversation seemed to be, ¨We´re in Harvard, We´re the Best, therefore We know better than anyone.¨ Suffice it to say that day ended with my tongue badly bitten, though can see how that sort of atmosphere could be rather intoxicating.

    Fortunately, the man who would be my advisor - by the initials R.W. - seems to be as down to earth as I am. When I missed my appointment with him, it was he who apologized profusely, set up another time, spoke pleasantly with me at length, and apologized again when he had to leave early to meet his kids (he writes a lot of stuff about children and fatherhood). He also gave me the best compliment I think I`ve ever received: ¨You know, you remind me a lot of myself when I was your age.¨

    If I can come out as humble and unaffected as this man by the time I´m through, I think it would mean far more than the mere fact of my acceptance.

    In other news, I guess this means I have to put off the prospect of a relationship a little longer, and more than that, become even more clear about what I´m looking for that my dreams (I love that word) are truly taking form. It´s all at once dawned on me that these things are more than just pretend; these days they´re for real ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home