Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Subtly changing the subject...

Filler. It really is, isn't it? You're doing all these things. Maybe even all the right things. But it still feels like you're just living life on hold, sometimes. Your call will be answered in approximately...(insert unknown number here)...years. For me, at least, the important thing is that it doesn't feel like this all the time. But there are unique moments when it is felt acutely. Just one random night waiting in line for the bus and wondering if it will be raining when you get home. Or driving past the park and seeing the kids at little league. Or late at night.

I feel the same way sbp recently put it (to paraphrase): life is grand. Great job, awesome friends, love where I'm living, my church, working with the youth at my church. I have friends and community like no one could even dream to ask for - leaving NYC will be one of the toughest experiences of my life, some day.

I'm a Netflix addict, I eat out or order out like 99% of the time (which sometimes sucks, but for the most part is great). I'm not much of a phone person but I have the coolest cell phone out there (a gig of music! go me)...I've got way too many clothes, wear make-up every day. Wait a minute. Strike that last one. I read when I can and surf a lot of internet when I can as well. I've got like 8 email accounts at this point that I check regularly. For crying out loud. I'm not sure how many computers I have but I think its technically 3. I'm becoming more and more aware as the days pass of just how incredibly blessed I really am. Thankfully, I'm becoming more and more able to start blessing others.

I don't have a dog. I do covet that (having one) at times. I was once driving by a house with a small lake with one of the elders from my church - he looked at the lake and said "I don't covet that lake, but I want one just like it for myself." That's how I feel about certain dogs - but that's about as far as my complaints go. I don't pay my bills on time or write nearly as much as I should. I'm pretty good about my devotions / memorization / prayer times (getting better on the prayer part). I work a lot, try to work out in the mornings, and jump at the opportunity to waste a few hours on video games on a Saturday morning.

I'm learning a lot about myself, other people, faith, life...I feel there's so much to learn and I feel like I'm taking in as much as possible. Its like standing in the middle of a raging river - you can't drink the whole thing but you can open your mouth and get a taste.

So...yeah. I've got a lot of great stuff going on as well. I'm becoming a full-fledged adult that can very nearly take care of himself on a regular basis. Not to pat myself on the back too hard, but I look at other people my age (usually the ones at work, not church) - and I think "I really have it together." But the problem with that statement is the very first word - its not "We." And that's all you really want at the end of the day.

Funny how all the other stuff starts to fade when you put it in this light. Who cares if you have Netflix, or work out a ton, or have the greatest job in the world. Not having anyone to share it with makes a lot of these things feel hollow - every once in a while. Dare I say it - even your relationship with God, at points. I think its because we were created to be relational - its in our innermost being. You see a beautiful sight, taste a beautiful glass of wine, hear a beautiful piece of music - and you have singular human experience that *isn't* selfish - you actually want to share what you've just felt. You know that sharing it and seeing someone else enjoy it as you did will only increase your pleasure.

What I want...I don't know what I want. I'm going on 28 and I still don't know what I want to do for a living, where I want to live, all that jazz...all I know is that I want to be doing whatever it is, with somebody. Whether I'm coming home from my ski patroller job in Wyoming or my partner role at a firm in the big city, I don't care. Its the fact that I have someone to come home to that matters. Right now it doesn't matter when I leave the office. Nobody's sitting in my hotel room waiting to see how my day went. I can work all night and no one would know or care. It sucks.

A family...kids...all that follows down the road, as well. Its a little much to ponder on - when you don't already have the necessary pre-cursors lined up...but. Keeping a little me quiet during church, or teaching him how to kick the soccer ball, or wiping spit-up off her PJs...

I actually want a family. Of my own. Of our own.

Its important to be working on being the right person rather than finding the right person, while we're waiting. And that's certainly something easier typed than accomplished.

All of this, what I'm doing right now, is great. But all the accomplishments (not the relationships), while exciting and great and worth being proud of, and (some of) which I will certainly continue throughout my life, with or without marriage and family, are just filler. I'm not desperate, I'm not in despair. I won't give up my identity when I finally have what I'm waiting for. But I am biding my time. I know what I want, and I don't have it yet. So I'm doing the best I can, looking to God for continuous direction...and waiting.

(Now that I've actually finished putting this together, I realize that a lot of the motivation behind it is an appeal for equality. I am aware that this is a female forum, but let's just take all the "I can't meet a nice Christian girl in a bar"s and "I am so mad at cool Christian guys"s and all that and throw it in the hat. Both sides of the sexes have our challenges. Ok?)

9 Comments:

  • At 7:30 AM, April 24, 2006, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    I have two things to say about this post:

    1. It's incredibly sweet. I am encouraged more than I can say by the evidence that this lamentation of loneliness transcendes the female gender. Sometimes I'm wont to look around me and say, "Am I crazy? Does this singleness bother guys at ALL?" I'm glad to know, not that guys are suffering, but that I'm not alone in hating my aloneness.

    2. I have to ask this question, not of David specifically, but of other guys who are mourning this lack of companionship and the possibility of family: Are you asking girls out?

    See, I used to be more proactive in asking, or gearing up to asking, out the guys I liked. As it never worked well, and I want a man who is a leader and takes the intiative in a dating relationship and in life in general, I have adopted a no-asking-out policy. I know many other girls who hold the same policy for themselves.

    Now, this puts a lot of pressure on men, I know. But isn't that something manly that guys are supposed to want to do, or at least accept and go with out of necessity? Isn't it part of the spirit of adventure akin to hiking or mountain climbing or something, where you take a risk, get an adrenaline rush, maybe lose your step and skid to the bottom of the slope, but then you retie your laces, hike yourself up by your bootstraps, and find a different way up or try again? Or, if the risk pays off, you've reached the summit and can proudly survey the terrain you've just conquered?

    But if you're not taking any risks, there won't be a payoff, or even a chance of a payoff. Quaere verum has asked out girls he's met in church. A guy I know recently bit the bullet and asked out the girl he's liked for awhile (she said yes). I can't speak for you, David, because I don't know. But some guys are taking the risks, an others (for example, ALL of the men that MP and I know in South Bend) aren't.

    I would like, as non-scarily as possible, to point out that, with the risk of initiative in most guys' court, the guys who have the best reason to lament their single status are the guys who take the risk in their hands and run with it. Or at least ask out the occasional girl and give it a shot. Then they can reasonably say that it's hard to meet people and that singleness sucks. Because they're actively trying not to be single.

    I have continually been approachable, friendly, engaging and chatty to, and in the same physical space as the guys I know, and am renewing my efforts to be seen more frequently in territories occupied by people of both sexes, common ground where something could happen one of these days. I smile at men I haven't met yet. I'm polite and helpful and cheerful and friendly. I'm actively giving men the chance to ask me out.

    I know that I can't fathom the difficulty for a guy of approaching and asking out an attractive, interesting girl. My dad has tried to explain it to me, and I just don't get it. It's not that I'm unafraid of rejection myself -- rejection truly sucks. But, as I'm in a new area and having to be proactive in making friends, I'm swallowing that fear every day and grabbing up the courage to try to include new people in my life.

    And again, it's really good to know that guys want family too. Perhaps not always with the same burning urgency as women tend to want it, but encouraging to see that the wanting is there.

     
  • At 8:29 PM, April 24, 2006, Blogger none said…

    hmmm. So I've been letting this post marinate in my mind while I try to figure out how to respond. It evoked a similar response as the one I had to sbp's recent post about biding time. The post I never responded to. Because I'm not sure how much I agree wih you guys. Or how much I relate anyway. Yes, I'm often tired of being single. Yes, I'd like to be in a relationship and eventually, in a few (or several) years time, get married. But I really don't feel like my life in its current status is just filler. In fact, maybe I already have the ever-elusive contentment that I've been trying to figure out lately. Perhaps the complete blank slate that is my dating history keeps me from having a realistic opinion on this, but I don't know if my love life will ever be the most important thing to me (or the second anyway, after God). On my life's list of priorities, marriage is probably much lower than the average woman's (and maybe that's b/c I'm only 23). And kids are a whole other issue that I'm not ready to tackle yet (I love being an aunt, and perhaps that's enough for me). In any case, I do have a desire, and sometimes a strong yearning, to share my life with someone. But I really believe that the passions that I fill my life with now are essential to me being content enough to love someone else, and being worthy of someone else's love. See, I do know how I want to spend my life; I would not be ME if I weren't thesciencegirl, future physician scientist and microbe hunter. :) I've had the game plan for awhile, and only recently have I started factoring the "we" concept into it. I believe that I could, through God's grace, be happy single, but I don't believe that I would be happy without fulfilling what I feel is my calling in life, the passion that drives me to study and work as I do. When I look forward to my future, the first image in my mind is not a husband and family; it's a vision of me eradicating disease. I hope God allows me to do that. I also hope I have a companion along the way, I really do, but I likewise hope that I never feel that I'm merely biding my time. Of course any career, no matter how inspiring, leaves one empty without love in your life; I hope that I have romantic as well as Godly, familial, and friendship love. And though I feel like a whole person just by myself, I do still have that very human desire to share... share my whole, content self with the man who God hopefully has out there for me. Like you, I AM waiting (and hopefully not in vain), but if I can use a silly analogy... as opposed to waiting by the phone at home, I'm out living life, with my cell phone on in case I do get a call. And when I do, I'm not going to drop what I'm doing or cancel my plans, but I'll say "I'm so glad you called; I've been waiting forever. I'm having a great time; you should come join me."

     
  • At 8:31 PM, April 24, 2006, Blogger none said…

    And upon rereading my comment, I see that the one word I used the most sums it up pretty well: hope. It's not promised, I don't need it, but I want love, and I hope for it. We'll see how it pans out in time.

     
  • At 11:24 PM, April 24, 2006, Blogger David said…

    Hope...now there's a dangerous thing. Proverbs said "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life."

    I will say one thing to these comments for the time being - I am working on the general assumption that I have a couple or few years on most of the rest of the crew here. So...yeah, I've been doing that whole working thing for - almost 6 years now. And I think I've been very happy and content for most of if not all of that time (generally speaking).

    And I certainly think I'm content with a very good life right now - I tried to point that out in the original post, even. Is there the possibility that there isn't anyone out there for me? Sure. I'm so pessimistic as to think its probably a 50/50 right now. Will life be terrible if I never know her? No.

    Will I still yearn? Probably, yes. Even Paul, content in all circumstances, had the thorn in his side. To some extent, I would expect God to more fully become my sustinance and delight as my days passed, to give me the desires of my heart (explained, here).

    To another extent, I don't see myself completely free of those accute moments of aloneness in 20 years, should I still be in that state. Its like I said: relational is in our nature.

     
  • At 12:05 PM, April 28, 2006, Blogger la persona said…

    What I want...I don't know what I want. I'm going on 28 and I still don't know what I want ...

    David, I just read your post, and I'm sorry...it's hard to be sympathetic. I mean, GROW UP! You are 28 years old. You are a man. You want to be a husband and maybe a father. But how can you expect to lead a family when you can't even lead yourself? I'm sure it's a lot easier finding a soul mate when you're playing video games on Saturday morning. If the equality you're seeking is the equality of irresponsiblity, your plea falls on deaf ears. No, you don't get to whine about not having someone waiting for you to come home when you're not doing anything about. Like I said, sorry. Maybe life isn't fair. But what are you going to do about it? Nothing? Like I said, come ON!

     
  • At 12:05 PM, April 28, 2006, Blogger la persona said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:05 PM, April 28, 2006, Blogger la persona said…

    What I want...I don't know what I want. I'm going on 28 and I still don't know what I want ...

    David, I just read your post, and I'm sorry...it's hard to be sympathetic. I mean, GROW UP! You are 28 years old. You are a man. You want to be a husband and maybe a father. But how can you expect to lead a family when you can't even lead yourself? I'm sure it's a lot easier finding a soul mate when you're playing video games on Saturday morning. If the equality you're seeking is the equality of irresponsiblity, your plea falls on deaf ears. No, you don't get to whine about not having someone waiting for you to come home when you're not doing anything about. Like I said, sorry. Maybe life isn't fair. But what are you going to do about it? Nothing? Like I said, come ON!

     
  • At 12:05 PM, April 28, 2006, Blogger la persona said…

    (Oh, and by the way, I am sorry for the bluntness of my comments. Sometimes my opinions get the better of me. When I start posting, I'm sure you'll have more than ample opportunities to return the favor, if you like.)

     
  • At 7:45 AM, January 12, 2008, Blogger David said…

    I forgot one other thing in my original post: I love my sister.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home