Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Heart - Now On Sleeve

You all are so honest and open... that I really think I owe you the same courtesy. Over the past eight years or so, I’ve done two things. 1) Done a complete about circle in some ways and 2) Done a 180 in others. As far as my spiritual walk with the Lord goes, I went from being sold out for Christ in high school... to a really lukewarm college student... and now am in a similar place as in high school again. It’s somewhat nostalgic, almost like I never left high school. Being in this place that I am now, it feels like a simpler time... one where I get back some of the innocence I used to have.
Anyway, I tend to put on this exterior (without intending to) that I’m anti-guys. Friends used to wonder if I was even remotely love struck, because I never talked about guys. Now, I’m so buddy-buddy with males that I ponder the thought that, perhaps, I put out some sort of "asexual" vibes to everyone.
As a teenager, I was career driven to an extreme. I sent letters to colleges I was interested in, back when I was 12. In ninth grade, I took practice LSAT’s at the public library. (By the way, I did pretty well for a 14 year old.) While crushing on this nice, funny, but awkward boy in my church youth group I told everyone I didn’t want to get married until I was at least 35. My parents and I do not discuss my personal life. They occasionally ask, but I just don’t tell them anything.
In college I quickly became nauseated by the constant "creekings" whenever a guy on campus got engaged. The "Congratulations" posters plastering upperclasswomen’s dorm hallways all started to blur together and look the same. And here’s the funny part. I liked guys... quite a few guys. Most of them were the distant crushes, boys who you didn’t even know their name and they didn’t know yours either. The next time I’d see them, they were getting thrown in the darn creek.
Then there were the young men that I really, truly could see a future with. They were all nice guys. Really nice, great, funny, intelligent, light-up-the-room type of guys who love the Lord. And they had something else in common - they ALL rejected me. Every single one of them. Somewhere along the lines, I stopped believing that I’d ever meet anyone like that who would love me just as-is. I’ve spent a long time - years - trying to figure out the mystery. Trying to crack the puzzle. Was there a certain formula that I had to be? Are those guys just not attracted to me?
So here I am a few years out of school. Still in the same spot I’ve been since high school. When I moved across the country to El Paso, I thought it was strictly a career move. I didn’t expect anything else. Almost two years later, this city’s had the opposite effect on me. Maybe it’s the culture, maybe it’s the people - but mostly it’s got to be God. My eyes have been opened to how important and wonderful having a family is. Work is work, and at the end of the day I come home alone. My job seems so menial compared to what it would be like to be a wife and mother. I can’t believe I’m saying this. Most of all, I can’t believe I find myself in this position. Me, the former housewife-hater. Heck, I can now say I’m even open to that lifestyle choice myself. Have I been abducted by aliens?
What’s so ironic about this... Is that the city where I had this self discovery, isn’t going to be the city where that becomes a reality. Like Abbie, I have not had a date in a really, really long time. This year, I have decided that I need to go on ONE date. Not one-hundred... just one. And not even a good one at that. Even a trip to the drive-thru counts, looking back on my track record.
It feels really mean for God to do this to me now. Right as I’m having an epiphany on love, he wipes the rug of opportunity out from under my feet. The whole ‘no personal life’ thing is getting old quickly. I’m not interested in white weddings and cake and presents, I’d just like some encouragement and optimism that it’s an option in the future. And it’s definitely not there. I’m basically a nun without the habit.
Worst of all, there is someone that I have a significant amount of feelings for. Again, (of course), they’re not returned. He’s only the two-thousandth love interest that doesn’t seem to be really seeing me. I want to just tell this guy, "Hey! I’m a great girl! And I’m here! And I like you!" He’s one of those fellas that gets shut down by every girl he asks out, because he’s clueless at picking them out. I enjoy his company and love the kind of person he is. Unfortunately, I would bet a lot of money that he’s not attracted to me. Otherwise, he probably would have done something about it by now. If things go according to Jennifer’s life as we know it, he will start dating someone that I introduced him to. They will get married, and then I’ll want to kick myself for the two-thousandth time. If you’re thinking to yourself that I need to have more hope, think no more. I’ve been there, done that. Did nothing. Got the t-shirt. You can also call me rather cynical about the whole arena of love, but you’d got to admit, I have every right to those views.
In the past few months, I’ve become like the little boy Sam, from the film "Love Actually." His mother recently died in the movie, but he’s also dealing with his puppy-love for a classmate who shares the same name as mom - Joanna. He can’t picture anything worse than the total agony of being in love, and not being able to do anything about it. Lately, I’ve seen a lot of Sam in myself.
I also see a little bit of Mark in myself. Mark is in love with his best friend’s new wife. He acts coldly toward her, because he can’t stand to be around her knowing that he’ll never be able to do anything about it. Actually, I think I am a lot like the Mark character. Okay, I am eternally Mark. No, I’ve never been in love with anyone’s husband. I’m just always drawn to men that I know will never give me their heart... or see me as the young woman who can give them mine. When will I stop being "Sam" and "Mark." I don’t want to be Sam OR Mark.
So I don’t know what you all have to say to me. I’m not asking for advice or even encouragement. Just wanted to put this all out there, because it’s the real deal for me. Frankly, it hurts for me to type out the words and think about them all. I’m not usually the spill your guts kind of person. But I’ve been in a rather dark place in some areas, and felt I can share this.

8 Comments:

  • At 1:51 PM, February 24, 2006, Blogger none said…

    Thanks for spilling your guts. Our guts are pretty similar actually. Let's look at my history, shall we?

    Proclaiming for all to hear that I have no desire to marry until 30ish? Check!

    Getting sick at the very thought of life as a housewife? Check!

    Keeping romantic notions to myself, not even letting on to friends, when I like someone? Check!

    Liking guys who are not interested in me? Check! (The last guy I truly like ended up asking out my little sister. *sigh*).

    Still not sure if I want kids, still could never give up my career... but there's been a .. softening, I guess... of my heart recently, and I'm beginning to see that this whole love, marriage, and a baby carriage (or atleast a dog) thing could be pretty great actually. This, of course, is why I haven't met a single interesting guy in months.

    And Jennifer, I am SO Mark. I really need to stop being Mark.

     
  • At 7:04 PM, February 24, 2006, Blogger Marianne said…

    Jennifer,
    I cannot begin to express how much this post resonates with me. I spent my evening at the Fiddler's, staring into my cider and begging of a friend, "so what in the world can I actually do?" My last shred of hopefulness, the small complimentary flirtation that had been going on, has blown up in my face. The guy I have liked for an entire year now seems completely indifferent to me. I meet an average of one new guy every month. One. A month. Spring break will mark one year since a guy asked for my phone #. I have Catholics mentioning odd things to me like birth control and the sanctity of the body (why? why?!) while I just want to tear my eyelashes out and yell, "what in the flip is going on in this world?!"

    I think God is purifying our hearts in this deep, deep valley. Think of it like the famine that struck Egypt in Joseph's time. Yes, we are suffering an emotional famine. But we have food. Food that you were storing up all of those years ago in youth group, when you had no idea what you would be facing in your mid-twenties in El Paso. That spiritual nourishment never goes bad. Hold on to the promises.

     
  • At 10:15 PM, February 25, 2006, Blogger Abbie G said…

    Oh Jennifer. I wish I could just meet you. And hug you. I wish I could say "It's okay! One day you'll be the Portugese woman and Colin Firth will jump into a lake after you" (what is it with Colin Firth and lakes?) "and all will be well, even if you have to become bilingual. One day you won't remember Sam or Mark." I hope you find that one day.

    I think part of why life as a 20-something female is so darned hard anymore is that while we are told by the church to wait on God's timing and trust in the Lord, it is indicated at the same time that we really ought to be married or at least heading in that direction. And then, whether we want to be in a relationship or not, whether we feel like we can even handle that or not, we feel that something must be wrong with us if we are not asked out frequently, if we are not pursued, if we don't have a date to the next wedding, if we are not "seeing someone". It should only take one - one guy who shows up one day and says "I want you, exactly as you are, only you, and I will give up everyone else to be with you" - but the wait for that one guy who wants you that much (and who you desire with equal fervor) is just plain awful. It is uncomfortable and lonely and makes us selfish and sad and insecure.

    So how do we reconcile the idea of waiting on God and the reality of life in our society? How do we sit still and stay content when the usual rules don't apply, when all we want is to be part of that elusive world of "people who date"? I don't know. To say "We must trust God" seems so... small. But I guess we must remember that it is huge. The idea that we can trust the God of the universe to work out the tiny details of our lives - eventually - is huge. And if we can try to believe that, even when we don't want to, then maybe we'll yearn and hurt just a tiny, tiny bit less.

    Maybe.

    But it's not easy. Just last week, I was crying into the fuzzy pink rug on the floor, saying "It isn't right! We're beings created to be with someone, and when that someone isn't there but you know they will be, someday, but they aren't right now, there's something missing and it isn't... right! It just isn't right..."

    So that's all I've got. I don't know if I actually said anything definitive, but it was nice to put something out there...

    Bon chance, mon amie. Try not to take it as a personal insult when God shuts the door. My roomie is in the same situation - that is, every time she sees even the possibility of a spark, it gets squished. Oh the horror, oh the humanity..... oh the estrogen (that one's for the menfolk. Okay, so just Babba ;>) but seriously, we don't want this turning into the Lifetime blog)

     
  • At 5:15 PM, February 27, 2006, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Wow, you ladies are just truly awesome. I forgot another comparison.. Sarah and Karl. I am also totally Sarah, except for the whole 'everyone I know knowing that I like the guy' thing that she had going on.
    This weekend was really a wonderful one, and then today I read The Science Girl's new post on her blog. We trust God with so many things, but too often don't trust him with our love lives. Many of us have given up hope, and feel frustrated. We forget that Jesus is the one offering HIS shoulder to cry on, and wanting to bear our burdens for us. If we focus on our relationship with Him (and not the OTHER him) there's no need to be feeling the way we do. So I'm ready to do that. Let it go.

     
  • At 6:08 PM, February 27, 2006, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    I've spent the past few weeks seriously stitching out (I've taken Stitch from Lilo and Stitch and turned him into his own verb, I love that movie so much) -- in a state of constant RAAAAARRRRRRAUGGGHHHHRRRRRRR *rip things* *break things* *scare people* because I just couldn't stand it anymore. (It was my more violent version of the fuzzy pink rug experience, I think, Abbie.) I mean, this whole freaking thing is so unfreakingfair.

    But in church yesterday (yes, in church, I, Sarah, of the church-sucks-why-do-I-go posts on her own blog) I had, for the first time in about a year, a beautiful experience. The pastor told us to relax.

    It was insane. The entire service was like God taking me by the shoulders (and I give MP credit for this association) and saying, like John Cusack in Say Anything to the screaming guy, "YOU -- MUST -- CHILL." And I sat back in my seat and...chilled.

    And I realized that I had to give it up, surrender it, because there isn't a damned thing I can do to change my own situation. (Which, to catch up up briefly on "the safe blog," includes a young man to whom I am astronomically, nuclearly attracted, and who is involved in a not-so-good-perhaps-soon-to-be-over-but-nothing-is-certain relationship, and who rather obviously finds me attractive, but no one is doing anything.) I can't change it. I can't make this amazingly attractive and intelligent and funny guy break up with his girlfriend (which his best friend told me -- and his best friend is one of the most amazing men of integrity I have met in my life -- that the guy should do). I can't convince him that he'd be much better off dating me. I can't even make him come and talk to me.

    So last week I was stitching out. Internally. Existing in a state of constant turmoil. And then Sunday happened, and today was a little better. I don't like him any less, and he didn't grab me in the hall and say, "You're the most fabulous woman I have ever met in my life, and I'm single now, and I want you, you, YOU and only you," and I didn't even see him all that much, but something was a little different. Something said, this hurts terribly, and it's something you have to put down fifteen thousand times a day...and it's okay.

    I don't know why we're all single. I don't know why it's making us so sad, right now. I don't know.

    And still there's God. At the bottom line, beneath everything, is the God Who Sees Us. (My favorite story from Genesis -- Hagar names God. God sees this abandoned concubine in the wilderness, crying because her son is about to die of thirst, and he speaks to her. He saves her. He saves her son. And she, a woman, a concubine in a herder's house, who has been thrown out on her ear and means nothing to anyone, gets to NAME GOD. I don't think women ever got to name God -- naming, even after the first few chapters of Genesis, signified importance. And a woman named God.) God sees, and knows, and cares -- and isn't that all we ever really want? To be seen? To be known? To be viewed with tenderness and love?

    It's so discouraging to come home to an apartment devoid of a pair of masculine human arms and a masculine human chest. (Or an entire masculine human body. That would be even better.)

    But God sees. And is there, right alongside us.

    There's this verse...Psalm 27:13: "I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living."

    It's going to happen for us. And in the meantime, our heartbreak matters. It doesn't go unseen.

     
  • At 9:52 PM, February 27, 2006, Blogger Abbie G said…

    Here's the quote I was talking about in my post, from The Philadelphia Story - which you must watch very soon, if you haven't seen it, ladies.

    George: You're like some marvelous, distant, well, queen, I guess. You're so cool and fine and always so much your own. There's a kind of beautiful purity about you, Tracy, like, like a statue.
    Tracy: George...
    George: Oh, it's grand, Tracy. It's what everybody feels about you. It's what I first worshipped you for from afar.
    Tracy: I don't want to be worshipped. I want to be loved.

    And she ends up with Dexter (Cary Grant, of course) because he know she's not a goddess but he loves her anyway. So keep up the hope that that guy will come along.

    And good luck, sbp. I feel your pain, I really do. Knowing that you're just going to have to give it to God every minute to survive, to get thru the day. It sucks. But He's got His reasons.

    I'm serious, Marianne, I want to meet all these wonderful people. Movie night in PA! haha.

     
  • At 10:53 AM, February 28, 2006, Blogger none said…

    I love "Lilo&Stitch" too sbp! I actually collect Stitch paraphernalia. Stitch was my Christmas tree topper this year as well. tee hee.

     
  • At 12:17 AM, March 13, 2006, Blogger Dawn said…

    You guys are awesome--I can't tell you how much I can relate to your posts. I'll be reading regularly from now on....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home