Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Pants.

All right I give. I have been a member of this blog basically since it first began, months ago, and while I think I have commented very occasionally, I have not yet tossed my hat in the ring with a real honest-to-goodness post. Here goes.

I go to Messiah College, but I am familiar with the ways of Grove City, as my brother (and his wife, mind you) went there, and my cousins go there and my best friend Rachel goes there. I don’t know what the Grove is like in regard to this, but it is a commonly agreed upon fact that here at MC, boys are wusses. They don’t ask girls out. I am sure that they fear girls’ expectations and that they fear the DTR and don’t expect to propose, so they don’t ask girls out. But this is faulty logic. Because not every girl wants to get married after one date. In fact, most of us don’t want that at all. I have already had a very complicated and difficult and long relationship that left me with a very broken heart, and I thought (once upon a time) that he was the one. And now I’ve had to give him up entirely, for the sake of my own sanity. So right now, I don’t want to be proposed to. I just want some guy who I like to take me to a movie.

You would think that on a campus of 2800 people – 60% of us girls – there would be a number of guys to pique my interest. And you would think that I would pique, well, someone’s interest. I mean, come on! I’m fun, I’m funny, I’m smart, I’m talented, I’m ridiculously loyal, etc etc etc. Oh yes, and they tell me I’m striking and beautiful (some days I even believe them). So why have I not been asked out on a single date since I got here in August of 2003? Now, I will admit that there are two guys on this campus who would ask me out if I would let them, but honestly, one of them is more feminine than I am and that’s a huge problem, as you might suppose, and the other one simply isn’t right. He isn’t the kind of man I would want to marry and I don’t think we’re compatible at all – yes, that’s thinking ahead, but I have to, because if I didn’t think ahead, I would just say yes and be totally selfish about it - have fun with him because I can - and we’d both end up hurt in the end. So that’s no good, either.

In the meantime, there is a guy – one lone, single guy – who I really like. I’ve actually had a bit of crush on him since last year, but then I was abroad last semester and really hadn’t even thought about him, and now I have a class with him again. Now, this guy and I were flirting pretty crazily the first 2 weeks of the semester. But it occurred to me, after putting out some very small feelers to see how he’d respond and getting nothing in return, that I had no real reason to think that he liked me as anything more than a fun classmate – which is what I am to most people – and that’s okay, but I’m trying not to flirt as much. Because I can’t afford to get my own hopes up. The thing is, I don’t think my future husband is on this campus, and that’s scary for me, because as an actress, I have no life outside the theatre- and that’s going to be even more drastically true when I’m out of college – so when will I ever have time for a relationship?

I know, I know, trust in God’s timing. The reasons I started writing this post are the following:

-My mother recently asked me on the phone if I’d been asked out on any dates lately, like it was the most natural thing in the world. I said, “Mom, I haven’t been asked out since high school.” And sadly realized that I wasn’t even exaggerating.

-A friend heard that story and said, “Really? I don’t understand that at all.” implying that of COURSE I should get asked out all the time. But I don’t.

-When I was lamenting my situation – never being asked out, only liking one or two guys on the whole campus – to my roommate, she said, “Well, maybe if you weren’t married to the theatre department-“, and I said “Don’t blame ME!!!” and after discussing it further, we agreed that even if I wasn’t married to my major, I probably still wouldn’t get asked out, because she is a very similar person to myself in a lot of ways and she doesn’t get asked out either, despite being ridiculously amazing. And she even HAS a social life.

-When I started discussing this with two friends, one of whom is a guy who I’ve known since the first week of my freshman year (tho he is now gay, which he supposedly wasn’t then), said, “Maybe if you wore the pants a little less. I mean, you are who you are and that’s great and you’re very….. (he said something like forceful, but I don’t remember what word he used)... and that’s why we love you, so don’t change that, just maybe… a little less.” And then we had a very jokey conversation about how I should send this guy I liked a pair of pants (or a pic of a pair of pants) with a note attached that said, “If we were in a relationship, I’d totally let you wear these.” Har, har. The thing is, as much as I’m taking this friend’s advice with a grain of salt, I think maybe he’s right? I began to wonder how intimidating I actually am, and I suddenly felt like Tracy from The Philadelphia Story, like a bronze statue that people admire but that no one can passionately love because no one can get past the ideal of the statue. (Where IS Cary Grant when you need him? Or even Jimmy Stewart. I'd be okay with Jimmy Stewart, too...)

This post is sounding very egocentric, isn’t it? It is not meant to in any way, but ask Marianne, I do have a pretty… “big” personality, and while I am not as loud or crazy as some people – and while I am certainly not an aggressive/competitive type – and while I am about the least abrasive actor you’ll meet – I imagine I’m still pretty intimidating.

My only comfort at the moment is that I am truly trying not to wear the pants as far as boys are concerned and I’m not pursuing any guys right now, even as friends, because it’s gotten me in trouble in the past, and because if they want me, they’ll have to come and get me, and any man worth my time is going to love me for my… “initiative”. Yes, that’s right, for my pants, which I will gladly hand over to the right man at the right time. … Pun intended.

So, folks, is the “I think I intimidate people” excuse a valid one? Or am I delusional? Does “pants-wearing” send guys running scared? Or do I just need to get off this silly Christian campus into a world of more possibilities?

Remember, I’m not asking for a ring. I’m asking for a nice guy to take me to the movies sometime.



*NOTE: In England, the term "pants" means underwear in one context and "sucky" in another. For example, when my friend Alex wanted to say something was totally sucky, she'd say, "It was absolutely pants, because-" I find this funny, because wearing the pants is turning out to be, well, pants. Comments on this and all the rest of the above more than welcome.

11 Comments:

  • At 9:50 AM, February 22, 2006, Blogger Marianne said…

    Oh, it can't start for you junior year of college! No! Tell your darling mother to lay off! This kind of depressing awareness of how desperate our circumstances really are should not set in until one or two years post-graduation.

    Here's a silly wordplay idea: how about if we girls abandon the pants altogether and embrace the skirt.
    We need to wear the skirt, in all of our relationships. Wearing a skirt is a much more complicated and artistic endeavor--you have to have grace, poise, strength, and good manners. Maybe we should stop trying to pull men's pants off, and instead we should say, "You know what? I don't want them anyway. I have a much nicer ensemble here."

    I have decided that "the date" is dead. We must give up and move on. I can never put on my fancy dresses and jewelry and head out for a swank dinner with a dashing gentleman. It ain't gonna happen, to be Appalachian about it.
    Apparently, ion the 21st C, people find spouses by osmosis.

     
  • At 10:07 AM, February 22, 2006, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Abbie, you sound fabulous. Unabashedly fabulous. In fact, so are all the women who read this blog. It’s so glad to finally hear from you in the form of a post! My answer to your questions is this... in my 23 years of research on this planet, I’ve come to the conclusion that there just aren’t that many decent guys. We are an emerging rare breed of women. The cool, hip, smart, independent Christian chicks who want to be loved, too. The few cool guys that exist are alas all taken. I wish I could say otherwise, I really do. What I want to tell you is: “Men are fantastic and you’ll find one instantly!” The truth is that, the guys that exist... really aren’t good enough for us. If they can’t even ask us out, how do they ever expect to be a leader in a partnership called marriage? You sound like you have a fairly strong personality, and you need someone equally strong - if not... even MORE solid.
    Like you, I have not had a date in a very long time. And it’s been four years since I’ve had a “boyfriend.” It is utterly depressing and I feel like a pathetic loser... But I’m not! And you’re not hopeless because you haven’t dated in a long time. I do not know what the solution to our current nun-like lifestyles... But it doesn’t seem like the Christian singles pool is one I want to be in. It’s a dark, scary, murky body of water that lacks clarity and honesty. And we’re all in it together, unfortunately. Be who you are, and love God - He will make sure you’re taken care of. You may meet someone beyond your wildest expectations today... You may never meet anyone again. Please don’t settle for those sad excuses for Christian guys you’ve been talking about. They’ll only help to make you miserable. Being a few years out of school, I’m at the age where everyone seems to be married. God is currently revealing to me the truly good things about not being a wife right now. I’m trying and trying to appreciate them.
    You've got more timem than I in that arena.. and far more opportunities. I miss the guys I went to school with. Compared to the ones I'm meeting now, they were prince charmings in the flesh. Appreciate them now while you've got a chance. And make sure to keep your "pants" on. =)

     
  • At 10:54 AM, February 22, 2006, Blogger aunt carol said…

    Dearest Abbie:
    Never, EVER, try to change who you are because you think that's what the opposite sex is waiting for you to do. It won't work. You can't keep it up, and the real Abbie will emerge with a mighty roar and belting a show-stopping tune. And the right guy for you will say, "Finally! Where have you been?"

     
  • At 2:24 PM, February 22, 2006, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    And then you can hit him in the face for taking so long himself. :)

    Abbie, it sucks sometimes, it really really does. But don't ever make yourself "less." I can't tell you how aggravated I get when guys of any sexual orientation advise women to tone themselves down just to get the attention of some insecure idiot who clearly can't see the gem right in front of his eyes unless you turn the lights out.

    No; even though I get told on a very regular basis that I'm intimidating (tall, intelligent, funny, confident, motivated, articulate, direct, and attractive -- I guess those things terrify men; why, I can't quite fathom, although plenty of guys have tried to explain it to me), no one says, "Well, Sarah, you should just...tone it down a little." I mean, what can I do? Act shy and chop my legs off at the knee?

    Take heart! I think Jenn and Marianne are both right -- the good men just aren't around. But have faith that it will happen someday. And trust that you're wonderful.

     
  • At 8:16 PM, February 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This situation is perfect case study of Richard Weaver's "Ideas have Consequences". While the lack of dating mojo in young Christians today flows from many factors, I can't help but think of that blasted book by Josh Harris that had evangelical America suckling at his ideological teat for all too long. "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" essentially taught good Christian guys to NEVER ask a girl out on a one-on-one date because it could result in broken hearts, sexual impurities, et cetera ad nauseum. Couple that with the church's teaching on humility, modern culture's need to get guys in touch with their feminine side, and voila: a "nice" Christian guy who is too wishy-washy to pursue a relationship, hoping that couplehood will happen by osmosis (great term, Marianne). I'm sad to say that I used to be one of those guys, but over time I have managed eradicate those pesky Harris-isms from my outlook on relationships.

    On the other hand, you have to cut guys a break. The good men are around, they just are not dating every girl in sight. Men simply do not have the intensely non-structural relational needs that women do (think Kristevan symbolic/semiotic distinction). There can be many reasons why a guy doesn't approach a girl to ask her out, the most likely being that he isn't interested in her at that particular point in time. Guys may also be turned off by recent sub-par experiences. For example, I just recently asked a girl out. She seemed enthusiastic when I first asked her for her phone number, more enthusiastic when she agreed to a date. Inexplicably, she never showed up for our date, and never gave me an explanation for her behavior.

    I especially agree with always being yourself. There are guys out there who appreciate women who hold their own in a conversation about heteroglossia or the impact of metaverse on contemporary social dynamics. I still believe that every "wandering bark" finds its star.

     
  • At 6:07 AM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Marianne said…

    I hate a mystery! Quaere Verum, who are you? How is it that you are throwing out terms like "Kristevan" and "heteroglossia" and I can't pinpoint your identity? Cause I am positive that I know you.
    Did you go to Grove City?

    Oh, good comment, too. I have rejected not only Josh Harris's evil little tome but also it's secular equivalent, He's Just Not That Into You. Maybe I would find its bromide, "Don't worry, he's just not that into you, so move on," paliative except that I know dozens of guys (cousins, brother, friends) who display the sort of emotional reactivity and insight that you have just now. "The last girl I asked out was psycho, therefore, even if I might like you, I'm going to be a bit more cautious."
    If you want, I'll smack that girl in the head. (Or as my mom says, "Do you want me to beat her up?")
    She seems to have no manners.

    Okay, I'll stop now. I'm acting a bit "pants" (can you use "pants" for people, Abs?)

     
  • At 8:03 AM, February 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm frustrated by enigmas as well, and I certainly wouldn't want to cause you any further mental anguish, Marianne. A shroud of anonymity is useful on the blogosphere, but I'll throw off my cloak: I'm C.T., and yes, you do know me. Jennifer invited me to comment on this blog, since she and I have had some pretty in depth conversations about relationships.

    Perhaps the dynamics that govern relationships are similar to those that govern the physical universe. Newton's third law of motion seems an apropos corollary for the "emotional reactivity" that plagues us all. Like SBP's swearing off all deep cross-gender friendships after the pseudo-boyfriend experience, guys have that same gut reaction when rejected by women (human relationships are such a tragic study in the interplay between the rational and irrational). My advice: in the immortal words of Jay-Z "go 'n brush your shoulders off". The way I see it, a rejection can turn guys off to dating entirely, but I'd rather go out with someone else I'm interested in this next week.

    Where's the fun in fear?

     
  • At 1:59 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    C.T.! Fabulous to have you! (I echo MP in saying that any comments containing "Kristevan" and "heteroglossia" are most welcome.)

    And a hearty "Amen" to sloughing off fear -- otherwise life will continue in its static routine, which is (as we have discussed often on this blog and outside it) dissatisfying.

    We are creatures made for change and growth -- so here's to a fulfillment of that redemption mandate!

     
  • At 3:39 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Babba-Gi said…

    Yikes! Marianne and Abby are responsible for creating more gay men then "Trading Spaces".

     
  • At 3:32 AM, February 24, 2006, Blogger Marianne said…

    What do you mean, Babba! So we get our vaguely straight men to dress a little better, that's not a crime, right?

     
  • At 9:52 PM, February 25, 2006, Blogger Abbie G said…

    I take absolutely NO responsibility for the number of gay men in my life. Or lesbian women, either. I'm in theatre for goodness sake, Babba. The percentages are just higher.

    And just to reassure you all, I have no plans of toning myself down. I don't even think I'd know how. Besides, any man who wants me is going to have to handle my family, and my family is made of people like me - but crazier. (All the Peracchios can attest to this.) So my "someone", wherever he is, is probably being prepared by God for the future whirlwind.

    Thanks for all the comments, tho, everyone. I appreciate them. Marianne, we need to have a big party where all these fab ladies meet up - like a reunion (but it would just be a union, since most of us have never met... think about it ;>)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home