Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Movie Magic!

This morning I had a revelation and wanted to write about it. Let me preface it with this..
When I was younger I subscribed to Zillions magazine, which was basically Consumer Reports for kids. In one issue, the magazine looked into commercials for board games. Research found that in a majority of the commercials, a boy was depicted as being the "winner" of the game. Hardly any ads featured a girl winning. Even for the "girlier" games like Mall Madness, those commercials showed no clear "winner." Zillions apparently thought this was sexism in advertising. As a 10 year old girl, I was disheartened.
Much like this concept, I’ve noticed a similar approach to blockbuster films. Think about it. I can think of title after title where the plot goes something like this: Geeky science fair-type teenager is in love with gorgeous high school girl who’s dating the captain of the football team. Eventually, she falls for the nerd and jilts He-Man. OR a movie that goes something like this: Homely shy teenage girl is crushing hard on her guy friend (who is most likely in love with the gorgeous girl dating the captain of the football team). While guy is pursuing underage hotness, his friend gets a makeover. All of a sudden the dense dude "notices" his new and improved friend - they live happily ever after, or until one of them leaves for college in another state. Another take on this idea is a film (Drive Me Crazy, anyone?) where a well-adjusted beautiful girl learns to love a sloppy neighbor. Can’t Buy Me Love, Clueless, Secret Admirer, 10 Things I Hate About You, Revenge of the Nerds, Breakfast Club (multiple examples), etc etc etc...
My point is that, I can think of VERY FEW, if any movies where a hot guy ends up with a less-attractive girl. The film that sort of fits this theme is Babycakes starring Ricki Lake, where her character - an overweight woman - lands the hunk.. And yes, I’d like to forget about that movie too. Is this saying that girls are expected to be less superficial than their male counterparts? Hollywood is telling young women everywhere that they either need to go for the pocket-protector types/guys that don’t take a shower, or get a push-up bra and raid department store cosmetics counters in order to impress the more attractive dudes. Rarely, does it seem that teenage guys are encouraged to look beneath a female’s surface. They can get any girl because culture dictates it. One example that comes to mind is the movie the Breakfast Club. Princess-y Claire is sexually harassed by Judd Nelson’s character (who by today’s standards is bomb-threat Dylan Klebold material), but by the end of the movie she is giving him diamond earrings and making out with him in front of her uptight rich father. Meanwhile, Ally Sheedy plays the "basketcase" crazy girl who enjoys seeing her dandruff flakes fall out of her hair. Emilio Estevez all of a sudden notices her cuteness factor in the last five minutes of the movie, only after Claire "transforms" her by putting a bow in her hair and applying eyeliner on the poor girl.
The only movie I can think of that even remotely promotes healthy attraction is Garden State. It was refreshing to think that a guy can fall for a zany girl with epilepsy who lives at home with a gazillion pets. Sure, she was quirky - but that just made Natalie Portman even more lovable. Most movies don’t portray that girls are three dimensional. They're not "complicated" and they are easily categorized. It’s just so hard to find a movie with an interesting female in it these days.
I have a difficult time watching "chick flicks." They make me depressed. I’d like to think that the guys played by actors like John Cusack and Bill Pullman really do exist, but I know that I shouldn’t get my hopes up. Their characters are so out of touch with reality, they give us a distorted view of what guys are like.
So I’m not sure what do to. Are there any really good REALISTIC romance films? If so, please enlighten me. I am losing faith!

12 Comments:

  • At 11:42 AM, February 11, 2006, Blogger Jennifer said…

    You know, I did think of a movie where an "everyday ordinary" girl snags a cutie. Sixteen Candles!! I actually really enjoyed watching this movie.

     
  • At 3:29 PM, February 11, 2006, Blogger la persona said…

    What about My Big Fat Greek Wedding? John Corbett is to die for, and even after her makeover, "Toula" is still pretty ordinary.

    OR, what about my absolute, die-hard favorite romance and film of all time: Rocky? ... sigh ...

    Ditto what you said about the chick flicks. They make me gag.

     
  • At 4:51 AM, February 12, 2006, Blogger Babba-Gi said…

    There are lots of really good REALISTIC romance films out there. Take for instance Brokeback Mountain.

     
  • At 10:15 AM, February 12, 2006, Blogger lvs said…

    A Mirror Has Two Faces... I didn't expect to love it, but I DID! Jeff Bridges is adorable but geeky and Barbra Streisand plays a dowdy but interesting lit. professor and they fall in love "just as friends" but then they have an argument and she has a makeover and he thinks she's attractive but then admits that it's totally weird and he doesn't like it when she only eats salad and likes her a lot better when she eats cupcakes and so she goes back to being kind of dowdy but still radiant inside. And they kiss in the street at the end.

     
  • At 2:26 PM, February 12, 2006, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Babba, I think I'll pass on Brokeback Mountain. It would ruin Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal for me.
    Thanks to the ladies for the other suggestions! I really did like My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Nia Vardalos is a great actress and she's not the Hollywood stereotype.
    While When Harry Met Sally is pretty insightful, I don't think they should end up together at the end. She's too good for him!

     
  • At 9:19 PM, February 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is so true. In the same vein, I've always been bothered by sitcoms that have cute/perky/sexy women married to or dating overweight/annoying/incompetent men. Think "King of Queens", "Life with Jim", "Drew Carey", "Everybody Loves Ray" - to name just a few.
    As for movies...I know some people found the movie "Shallow Hal" offensive or insensitive. But I have to admit that I really enjoyed it because of the way it ended. Gwyneth Paltrow's character didn't become magically skinny and Jack Black's character Hal didn't go back to seeing her as skinny. He saw her - the way she really looked - and said, "You're beautiful." It's like that line in Bridget Jones's Diary when Mark Darcy tells he likes her just as she is.

    I would love to join this blog, here's my email:
    redrosenblume81@aol.com

     
  • At 5:57 AM, February 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    While movies entertain and serve as an escape from reality, they also influence how we perceive reality (as is clear from Jennifer's observation on relative attractiveness in romance movies). Part of the problem with romantic comedies in general is that they rarely portray long-term relationships. In most the "happily-ever-after" is assumed, contrary to what we know about real life. Unfortunately, the prototypical "girl" movies depict men as emotionally conflicted, sensitive souls who capitulate to their female counterparts with startling regularity. Honestly, would you want a long term relationship with a guy who acted like that on a regular basis?

     
  • At 6:25 AM, February 13, 2006, Blogger Marianne said…

    Everything is messed up! If we can't look to Hollywood anymore for our guidance in interpersonal behavior, where can we look????

    :-) Smirking smarty pants moment.

    Maybe that's why my "chick flicks" tend toward the quirky and I have just as many "guy" films as "girl" films in my collection.

    Hey, wishy-washy, dull, simpering girls may want that kind of guy, but self-confident, obnoxiously opinionated, spunky girls (like the ones on this blog) recognize that we can never fit those hollywood molds.

    Pause for a moment: Ruth, you're ALIVE! This is amazing! Join the blog! Jen will send you an invite soon!

    We don't necessarily want an uncouth American bird poacher to save us from a group of South American jewel thieves while dragging us through the terrifying rain forest with nothing but his machete and his wits!
    (hee hee)
    But it's fun to dream.

     
  • At 7:14 AM, February 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I remember a Brady Bunch episode where Greg paid no attention to Marcia's four-eyed nerdy friend til she started sporting contacts and put on make-up. The makeover didn't last because the girl liked her real self--at least that's how I remember it..

    The Bradys were so ahead of their time.

    AA

     
  • At 7:36 AM, February 14, 2006, Blogger none said…

    I am so sick of seeing unattractive men with beautiful, perfect little wives in sitcoms. I saw a commercial like that this weekend, and I wanted to hurl something at the screen. It's such a double standard. I definitely loved "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" for breaking the mold. Average-looking woman lands hot man. Yes!

     
  • At 8:03 AM, February 14, 2006, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Science girl, I checked out your blog and have decided THIS: YOU TOTALLY ROCK! Thanks for stopping by! By the way, I'm Jennifer!

     
  • At 11:35 AM, February 15, 2006, Blogger none said…

    Thanks Jennifer. This is a great blog; I check it out every week. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home