Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Alone vs. lonely


OK...to deal with the common theme of late (of this blog at large?)...we've all been home alone on a Friday night, aight? Even the most beautiful shallow girls that all the Christian guys are asking out instead of you - they, even they, have had their lonely nights at home, where everything just seems empty.

Frankly, in the past 6 years since college (SIX YEARS SINCE COLLEGE) - most Friday nights I'm so overworked and under-rested that I collapse on the couch with take-out Chinese and a glass of wine and a good movie - and I couldn't be happier. But I still know the feeling. 6 years is a lot of Friday nights spent by yourself. Its a hell of a lot of mornings to wake up alone. Stop your shock factor, I am talking about waking up with my wife.
Sleep is still most perfect, in spite of hygienists, when it is shared with a beloved. The warmth, the security and peace of soul, the utter comfort from the touch of the other, knits the sleep, so that it takes the body and soul completely in its healing. -- D.H. Lawrence

It sucks. The feeling sucks. Hope deferred makes the heart sick. Literally.

But the Biblical response is this: to say, "OK, God. This is what you want. I accept Your plan - maybe tearfully, maybe joyfully - but I will walk this path." And then live out a life devoted to Him. (Someone else said this once - hint: he said it in a garden while everyone one else was asleep).

I know that doesn't make you all warm and fuzzy and make the lonely Friday nights go away. But it is where you start. Take it from someone who's walked the longer road. Day in and day out, you begin to focus on what's more important - on reaching a world in need. Your heart starts to soften in new ways. You begin to learn things you never knew you needed to know. You find true sorrow and even truer joy.

It takes a rather stern setting of the jaw to get past your self pity. And I'm not accusing anyone here of the embarrassing sin of self pity, but since I was once there, perhaps someone reading this will honestly connect with that position. Once you make that decision - to be busy being the right person rather than finding the right person, your whole outlook begins to change.

And you realize that someday, if you do cross paths with that person, you'll be no needy wretch that's been pining away all these years, but a busy, beautiful, well-purposed being that is a light in a dark world - and what an attractive light it will be.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:30 PM, May 08, 2006, Blogger Jennifer said…

    David, thanks for this heartfelt post. First off, I am now craving takeout Chinese LIKE MAD! Second, I love Jesus and have joy in Him. If I was married right now, I probably would not feel the peace and happiness that I do. He's been able to show that he provides for me, and loves me.
    Like everyone else, I have the occasional "freakout" and the highs and lows. I guess that comes with life.
    This week I'm memorizing 1 John 3:1 - See how very much our heavenly father loves us, for he allows us to be called his children - and we really are!

     
  • At 11:03 AM, May 09, 2006, Blogger Ben said…

    How curious; I was actually thinking of writing a post in a similar vein as yours. You managed to beat me to it.

    I haven't quite finished my run through college, yet I find myself spending increasing amounts of time by myself. It's not for want of joy or friendship, I just find I'm becoming more like an introverted extrovert.

    Some people would think I was becoming antisocial, but I find that I look forward ot those times when I can just jump in my car, drive somewhere, anywhere, and get some peace of mind. I read, I write, and I waste a good chunk of time of the internet, too. And the heck of it all is: I'm cool with it.

    They (being the voices in my head) say that you can't be right with another person till you're right with God. After all, a relationship that glorifies Christ is one that mirrors our relationship with Him, right?

    I heard that once Simon and Garfunkel song last night, where the two joyfully sing "I'm a rock, I am an island." My mind is currently wrapping itself around those lyrics, and I've come to this conclusion: maybe it's not so crazy to want to be alone right now.

     
  • At 11:33 AM, May 09, 2006, Blogger none said…

    Great Post David. I am often alone, but very rarely lonely. As Ben is apparently beginning to learn, time spent by oneself can be very fulfilling. I love the peaks in my social calendar when I have plans with friends and parties and dinners out all the time, but only when it's balanced by quiet reflection and relaxation. My friends know that after a long day hanging out with them, what I most want is to go back to my own place and veg out. In fact, many of my Friday nights are spent having what I call "Me Dates," otherwise known as Blockbuster nights. Me + food + tv/movie/book + couch + sweats = perfection. I'm a strong believer that you have to be happy with and by yourself. The fact that I like myself and who I am, and the fact that God loves me make those rare moments of intense loneliness bearable.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home