Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

does e-harmony work?

Since y'all were kind enough to let me share my experiences on this blog a while ago, I thought you deserved an update. You may recall that I felt awkward and frustrated by my persistent singleness, especially because it seemed that women were the ones who typically had that problem (or at least were more vocal about it).

I do believe strongly that Christian men should be proactive in seeking relationships, and I identify with the numerous men on Boundless who say they have tried—many times—and been rejected. My tendency is not to be too passive; rather, it is to be so assertive that I come off as abrasive and rude.

I decided a few months ago on a three-tiered strategy. First, I would attend my urban church's partner church, which is a megachurch on the north side of Indianapolis, in hopes of meeting someone. Then I would join their singles group. If that didn't work, I'd join the vast hordes of desperate singles on e-harmony (that was supposed to be funny—don't get offended!). Unfortunately, the megachurch empties 5 minutes after the service ends, and the young couple who was supposed to introduce me to people had financial problems and couldn't go out after church, as they'd proposed. They suggested that I not join the singles group; "it's a divorced middle-aged singles group," they said. So I joined e-harmony.

E-harmony has an extensive personality test, and I tried my best to be honest. The results concluded, accurately, that I care about other people, but that I don't feel sympathy for folks who aren't making an attempt to solve their own problems. But then it said that I was a rather emotional person, and that I could be described as "too sensitive." That's so inaccurate that it's absurd, even funny! What's not funny is that e-harmony used its incorrect personality profile to match me with women—specifically sensitive women.

Sure enough, one of the first matches described herself as being "much more sensitive than I appear," although she also said that she valued honesty (the one trait I most definitely have!). I stated clearly on my profile that I wasn't a sensitive guy. We started communicating, and one of the questions she asked me in the "guided communication" process was how I acted when I was angry. I took the opportunity to explain my abrasive tendencies: "I've been described as 'abrasive' and 'insensitive,'" I said, "and there is some truth to those statements." I wanted her to be clearly warned, since the last thing I wanted to do was hurt a(nother) woman by making insensitive comments to her. After making that statement, I gave her time to close the match and run far, far away, but she never did. Eventually, we got together (she lives 20 minutes away).

It was apparent after about two dates that she liked me, which I must say was a positively refreshing change! "I can see why people think you're abrasive," she said—but she told me she liked my honesty anyway. (She also likes my Southern accent, which sounds like Forrest Gump on speed.) I tried to be intentional about the friendship by spending as much time with her as my busy schedule would afford, but the relationship soon became rather awkward. I knew she wanted to date, but I thought it was wrong to date without fairly serious commitment (source: my courtship-obsessed upbringing). After discussing the matter, we realized we both were comfortable with dating with the explicit goal of getting to know each other, with no commitment beyond that. To make a long story short, I now have a girlfriend, a mere month after meeting her for the first time! And we're not doing it Josh Harris-style!

She and I do share a lot in common, since both of us are committed Christians, both are youth leaders at our churches, and both enjoy having middle-schoolers over to our respective homes. She doesn't have much background in urban outreach, although she seems very open to it and has been to my church and met "my" kids. She's also very casual and honest and real, and I deeply appreciate those qualities. She's unpretentious and says she's always wanted a financially modest lifestyle. Although she comes from a very conservative background similar to mine, I wouldn't describe her as the "ideal Christian girl," since she has (tasteful) tattoos, rides motorcycles, and listens to hard rock music. Hey, I'm loving it!

This is far from one of those e-harmony success stories you see on TV, since we are not thinking about anything serious at this point. I don't do the love-at-first-sight thing, and it will be months before we know if this is going anywhere beyond casual dating. I am so thrilled that she is my girlfriend, though, and I believe that God has worked in this situation (despite the detractors, who claimed that I wasn't trusting God to "bring your wife to you"). Now I'm just trying my best to treat her like a lady and seek God's best for both of us.

7 Comments:

  • At 6:03 PM, March 28, 2007, Blogger la persona said…

    OMG!! I´m speechless ... I always KNEW there was someone like that out there somewhere :-) ...

    BTW, speaking of online relationships, an organization I´m considering working for is about to spend a great deal of money to start a ¨niche¨ social networking/dating site for believers working in the development/social services/ministry field. Will keep the rest of us posted (especially those whom e-harmony deemed ontologically unmatchable ... eh hem ehem).

    In any case, really happy for you, Luke. Sounds likes your taking the right approach and I truly hope it goes well for you. -la

     
  • At 7:23 PM, March 28, 2007, Blogger David said…

    Congrats.

    Question: She's your girlfriend but you two are still casually dating? I kinda thought the two were completely different states of the dating atmosphere...

    Anybody else have a similar / dissenting view?

    Anyhow, thanks for sharing your eharmony story, good to hear.

     
  • At 7:31 PM, March 28, 2007, Blogger David said…

    Oh...and to file under site administration, Jen and all - seems we're nearing a balanced state between male/female contributors. Was this the goal from the start? I always kind of assumed from the name we dudes should be in the minority...

    Maybe a 2 new female contributors approved for every 1 male?

    Something else, for the future - if we keep growing we're going to have to start putting some limits on who can post how often. I'm on some large community blogs that already do this kind of thing so I can give some educated advice in this area if desired...

     
  • At 7:39 PM, March 28, 2007, Blogger Adam the V said…

    Congrats L! Girlfriends in the spring make a man sing. It's great that you're getting yourself out there and taking risks. "Life is an adventure to be lived, not a problem to be solved", as ole Eldredge says.

    Regarding your post title - I think eHarmony does indeed work, just not for everyone. I've talked to many people who have met wonderful matches through them. One good friend met his now-girlfriend about 2 years ago and it looks like they're going to get engaged.

    Now all that being said, I tried eHarmony for a 6 month trial last year and it was a total bust. I too attempted to be as honest as possible for all the questionnaires. For whatever reason, all the people "matched" with me were people I would never be interested in. I also experienced a preponderance of the "last minute cold feet" phenomenon. After spending a week or two going through seemingly smooth guided communication we'd get to the "open" emailing part and they would never respond. I think it was something to do with the "commitment" level - women feel safer answering survey-type questions, but when it gets to actual conversation they realize they're not interested in you.

    I've decided that some people are just too weird for eHarmony. So all us fringers give up on it and there's not enough critical mass to find suitable matches. Down the line I may give it a try again to see if anything changes. (or maybe I'll have changed) Let us know how it goes!

     
  • At 6:37 AM, March 29, 2007, Blogger Babba-Gi said…

    The fact that you don't agree with E-Harmony's personality test leads me to think it may posses a degree of validity and reliability. If you want a real insight to your personality, take the MMPI "Minnesota Multi Personality Inventory. It will blow you away and you will need to discuss the results with a licensed psychologist.

    Our neighbor SWF-34 uses E-Harmony. We are her surrogate parents and anytime she goes out on a first date she has to call us every hour. I'm saying it seems scarier for a woman.

    Bloggers should use common courtesy and refrain from monopolizing a blog. But we all know people which I call W's. W stands for "won't shut up". I work with one and had two sitting behind me on 25 min.commuter flight yesterday. It was 25 minutes of loud obnoxious Christian crude. No amount of rules can replace courtesy and restraint.

     
  • At 9:43 AM, March 29, 2007, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    I dropped out of e-Harmony (i.e. allowed my payments not to transpire) because I found it a bust as well. No one it matched me with lived within a one hundred mile radius of me, and, while my personality test was one hundred percent right on, I got the feeling that of the 29 reliable matching facets, they dropped a few in order to find me some folks. Most of the men they set me up with were honest and hard-working and believed in life, which I'm all about, but hated books and had little interest in art. The one bookish person they matched me up with never responded to my invitation to communicate.

    So eh, whatever. I let my membership expire. But I'm glad it's working out well for other people! That's the reason the thing exists, after all.

    And I haven't given up hope; it's just hibernating. :)

    As far as administrated contribution is concerned, I'm not sure it's a necessity we face in the immediate future, given the still-frequent lapses in activity that occur here.

    But you do raise some interesting points, David. It might be worthwhile for one of us to construct a a "Future of the FabFemmes" post, to open a forum for discussion on creating some more purposeful approaches to the blog. I think a lot of rules will only bog it down, but there are a few things we might want to consider -- the male/female ratio, a wider range and greater variety of topics, etc.

    I know this is mainly a forum for exploring the nuances of the single Christian woman's experience, but I think that concept extends beyond dating, courting, marriage, etc. I've struggled for the past six years with church attendance (and the Church at large) and faith questions (and I know many other people in our age group have as well); a lot of us live far away from our families and have suffered from the resulting isolation; most of us are still figuring out our futures and what God's purpose is for our lives; and a lot of us are learning good and exciting and encouraging things, as well as dealing with hard and confusing and frustrating things. I'd like to see us explore some more of those topics as well as the more obvious problems of the single life (cf. la persona's Harvard post).

    Whaddaya say, folks? Wanna break a few things open and see what we're doing here?

    P.S. Congrats on a girlfriend, Luke!!! That's truly exciting!! (Casual dating is, I think, totally fine. Way better than no dating, and better, too, than an awkward too-serious-too-fast forced thing.)

     
  • At 10:01 AM, April 07, 2007, Blogger Jay said…

    I attempted to sign up for eHarmony, but it told me that I was in the 20% of the population they could not match. Whether that was because of my profile or my location leads me to wonder. I doubt there are very many young, intelligent, Christian women registered in my immediate area.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home