Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

What Are the "Rules"?

I'm fascinated with the dynamics between guys and girls in general, but in particular, the romantic dynamics between Christian men and women. I, like most of the contributors I assume, thought when growing up that I would meet someone in college and be married by age 22. Alas, I am 26 now and still single. I've dated around, even dated a girl for six months about 9 months ago, but I haven't had a "girlfriend" since I was 20. I'm not sure how we got here, with so many great Christian men and women still single, but I think it has to do with a confluence of many factors.

Sam's Perfect Storm of Factors Impeding Marriage (in no particular order)
1. Sexual Revolution - no reason to get married (guys especially) if you're getting all your sexual needs met

2. High Divorce Rate / Children of Divorce - our generation is skittish with making a marital commitment when they've seen their parents and others get divorced so frequently.

3. Increasingly Knowledge-Based Society - back 30-40 years ago, a man could graduate from high school, get a factory job, and support his family. Now, a bachelor's degree is a minimum requirement for a decent job, if not graduate degrees.

4. American Society's Fear of Growing Older and Facing Responsibility - also known as "Peter Pan Syndrome" (at least for males); see also the popularity of such movies as Old School and Wedding Crashers

5. Joshua Harris / Fear of Being Hurt in Relationships - Did I read "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" as a teen? Yes. Did I buy into this garbage for awhile? Yes (probably for too long). For those of you who haven't read it, the title says it all. The basic premise is that everyone should group date for awhile and then eventually pick someone out of your group to start a courtship with. It's something that sounds great in theory (kind of like communism), something in which relationships could move from group date to marriage seemlessly with no risk of anyone getting hurt. Which leads me to my current girl situation:

So I'm interested in the roommate of my friend's girlfriend. I met her a couple of months ago at a Super Bowl party but was discouraged by my friend and his gf to call her. They advised me to wait and get to know her better in a group setting so she'll feel more comfortable around you. I follow their advice and wait for about a month or so, which in the mean time, I've hung out with her in groups another 3-4 times, going out to lunch with her in groups a couple of times after church. (Please note: I didn't ask my friend and his gf if it was too soon to initiate contact. Maybe I should have in hindsight, but I was tired of feeling like I was back in 7th grade, asking a girl's friend if she likes me). So last Sunday, I shoot her an email asking for her number, saying I'd like to give her a call sometime. Still haven't heard anything back yet.

I certainly don't think I have an overinflated view of myself, as Boundless might hypothesize (see "Brother, You're Like a Six" article). I think I'm about an 8, to be honest, and I have pics to prove it!! :) That being said, I don't go after girls "out of my league" and think she was in my range. My question for the ladies is:

What are the rules in dating in general for Christian women? I completely disagree with the Boundless article "Where's the Motivation, Guys?", as I am one of the guys that doesn't mind calling a girl and risking rejection. I think a big problem in the Christian dating scene is that there is no standard set of rules to follow. For one girl (my current interest apparently), you need to have known her since kindergarten and be best friends before you can dare to ask her out or else you're a creep and a pervert. Then you have other girls who are wondering why Christian guys are such wusses and are afraid of women and physical contact with them (see: "Where's the Motivation, Guys?" article). Just from my perspective, the reason guys don't have motivation is because guys that do (like me) don't have much success unless you put in time to be "group hangout" friends. Maybe it's just living in the South (Dallas). Is it different other places? I lived in Chicago for a couple of years, and it seemed like the Christian women there were more open to dating to get to know one another. They didn't feel like they had to decide if they wanted to marry the guy before going to dinner with them. Please advise, oh wise fab females. I'm going to go fill out my eHarmony personality test now...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At 10:32 PM, March 27, 2007, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'll agree with your general take on Chicago--people here see dating as the "thing to do."

    Spending time with people in groups is great, but it's not always a date to spend time with someone of the opposite gender alone. I think people like Joshua Harris miss out on a lot of friendships with the opposite sex--obviously there are boundaries, but we have a lot to learn from each other.

     
  • At 10:33 PM, March 27, 2007, Blogger Dawn said…

    Oops, I think I posted that comment under a different account.

     
  • At 8:53 AM, March 28, 2007, Blogger Marianne said…

    It sounds to me like you've done everything right so far. It was very polite of you to email and ask for her number rather than asking one of her friends for it (a creepy guy tried to do that with my number, after I had refused to give it to him).
    Who are these girls who freak out over guys calling to ask them on dates soon after meeting them?
    Am I some kind of non-girl for wishing men would act on that impulse and just ask immediately?

     
  • At 7:49 PM, March 28, 2007, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Sam, :::sigh::: If only we knew the rules. Unfortunately I'm a dating disaster so you don't want my advice.

     
  • At 8:19 PM, March 28, 2007, Blogger Dawn said…

    Marianne--you're not a non-girl. (Like the negatives?) I definitely appreciate some initiative on the guy's part myself.

     
  • At 3:15 AM, March 29, 2007, Blogger Madeline said…

    I would like to address your comment that adult children of divorce are skiddish about making a marital commitment. Studies show that you are absolutely on target.

    What is most important is to be aware of your feelings. Recognition is the beginning of change, of letting your guard down and being open to meeting someone who would be special in your life.

    The importance of awareness is important because studies have shown that children who have experienced divorce, get married and have children of their own, are reticent to be close to their kids.

    It is not the closeness that children of divorce are so afraid of but the fear of investing in a relationship and then going through what they felt as a child when their parents divorced - abandonment and loss.

    These underlying feelings can be overcome with awareness and good counseling.

    Madeline Binder, M.S.ED, M.S. Human Services Counseling
    Children and Divorce

     
  • At 10:20 AM, April 02, 2007, Blogger Susan Johnston Hamrick said…

    Prince-Less “Happily Ever After”?




    As Girls Grapple with Self-Esteem Issues, Princess Bubble

    Unties the Knot in Modern-Day Fairy Tale





    YOUNG GIRLS ARE HEADING DOWN A TUMULTUOUS PATH




    Three most common mental disorders in girls: low self-esteem, depression, and eating disorders

    From 2002 to 2003, the number of girls with breast implants (under age 18) tripled from 3,872 to 11,326

    Girls ages 12 to 19 spent over $8 million on cosmetics in 2005

    In undergraduate women, MTV was the most powerful predictor of notions of sexuality and love relationships

    (Source: Report of the APA Task Force on the Sexualization of Girls, 2007)






























    Atlanta, March 23, 2007—Two never-been-married, seasoned career women, Susan Johnston and Kimberly Webb, are offering hope to girls struggling with self-esteem issues and encouragement to women living the single life. With wisdom gleaned from careers as independent, globe-trotting flight attendants, Johnston and Webb have crafted a modern-day fairy tale that celebrates singleness. With 51% of American women currently living the single life, Princess Bubble has struck a powerful and sometimes controversial chord. After only a few months in publication, more than 5,000 copies of Princess Bubble have been sold!




    This modern-day fairy tale stars a princess with a career—she is a flight attendant—who is confused by the traditional fairy tale messages that say she must find her “prince” before she can live “happily ever after.” Princess Bubble dons her “thinking crown” to research traditional fairy tales, interviews married girlfriends, and even takes counsel from her mother, who advises her to sign up at www.FindYourPrince.com.




    Princess Bubble’s search for her very own definition of “happily ever after” leads her—with a little help from her fairy godmother (this is still a fairy tale after all)—to discover that “living happily ever after” is not about finding a prince. “True happiness,” the book reveals, “is found by loving God, being kind to others, and being comfortable with who you are already! Happy princesses are people who enjoy others and like themselves. Happy people give of their time to help others!”




    ABOUT PRINCESS BUBBLE and BUBBLE GUM PRESS: Self-published in March 2006, Princess Bubble is now available in over 70 stores and through many online retailers. The Princess Bubble crusade, led by former Delta Airlines flight attendants Susan Johnston and Kimberly Webb, seeks to find an alternate ending to “happily ever after” and change the notion that life begins and ends with finding your Prince Charming. Looking to bolster the poor self-esteem of female youth and the stigma that many single adult women carry, Johnston and Webb believe “this is a book for women of all ages, a story they can believe in and share with their children.”

     

Post a Comment

<< Home