Fabulous Females

That's what this site is for: a place to gather all of the ideas and observations of real women living out the drama of single life in a world of "hooking up" and "putting out." If you'd like to become a poster, just give us your email address in a comment so we can invite you in! This is a non-discriminatory place to air out your feelings, so please be constructive! We also welcome men to post insight, comments, and advice on today's culture between males and females.

Monday, April 23, 2007

Location, Location, Location?

In one week, I'll be moving to a new city on the opposite side of the country - specifically the Tampa Bay area. Originally, I hail from Buffalo, NY, spent time in Grove City, PA while going to school and have now spent three years on the "Borderland" in El Paso. In two weeks, I start a new exciting television job. I'm not married. I'm not dating anyone and haven't for a long time.

Today, several things were brought to my attention. A friend who lives in Florida called and we were talking about relationships. He said that the situation wasn't "me" per say, but more the situation. Lack of options due to geography. First of all, the job I just left involved working in a building that employed less than 50 people and I never left the building. I also spent two years working overnight, and I saw maybe five people in one day. The weekends were my only chance to get out. Then six months ago, that was taken away also. This friend had a point. In my (formerly) current situation, there were very little opportunities to meet a Christian guy. Especially recently, since I could no longer attend church on Sundays.

We made a $100 bet over the phone. He wagered that I would get involved with someone by the years end. I wagered the opposite. Okay, kind of movie-like in a "She's All That" kind of way, I know. But I'm still interested in seeing who wins.

While saying farewell to a coworker (one who has worked as a youth pastor) he told me that I was going to fall in love and get married there. He just knew it. I laughed at him. The other freaky thing? A former roommate once had a dream that I was engaged to an Air Force man. Oddly enough, I'll be living blocks away from MacDill Air Force Base.

On a slightly different topic, I've made another observation. Every wedding I've been invited over the past year all involve grooms named David. And I was just introduced to a friend's twin sister who is also marrying a David. Is this a strange phenomenon or what? I'm not sure how to take it. Based on all these revelations, I could come to the conclusion that I will soon start dating an Air Force guy named Dave before ringing in 2008. Again, this is a bit too cinema-like for me. It's slightly freaky, actually.

But back to this location theory. I'll admit, El Paso is not a hotbed for potential dudes for me. It's just not. I'm constantly hit on by overweight divorced middle-aged Mexican men with seven kids. Not that I have anything against them, but that's probably not what God has in store for me. If it is the case, I'm converting to Judaism.

This transition is exciting and I'm really quite curious to see if my personal life does, in fact, change. What makes me skeptical is that, despite having already lived in three different parts of the country for a significant amount of time, that hasn't seemed to make much of a difference before. Why should it now?

This reminds me of my teenage years. When I was in middle school, I liked boys. None of them seemed to like me. I figured "it'll happen" in high school. So then I got to high school. Same story. I then concluded that "it'll happen" in college. Spent most of freshman year wondering if I was wearing some sort of male repellent without my knowledge. After a somewhat brief disappointing relationship, I then started to question whether "it'll happen" post-graduation. It has not. This is why the whole new city thing isn't exactly getting my hopes up in that area.

And what if I do meet someone there as some are predicting? I'd like to think I'd be able to conduct myself in a serious relationship... but the truth? I've never had one before. That definitely scares me. I almost think maybe it is better to marry young, before you're too set in your ways. What if I'm too old to learn new tricks? What if I'm so used to bachelorettehood that I just can't do it?

We'll never be able to explain what's really behind the mysterious shroud that is, indeed, love. Whether it's best when it grows over time, or is sparked in a moment when two pairs of eyes meet by chance. All I know is if I happen to run into an Air Force mechanic named Dave, I may run screaming in the opposite direction.

Labels:

16 Comments:

  • At 8:50 AM, April 24, 2007, Blogger none said…

    When I moved to Chicago, I thought my dating life would pick up too. It hasn't, but I hope it does for you. I'm not sure about those Air Force guys though... ;)

     
  • At 9:40 AM, April 24, 2007, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Hahahaha, well, I've just been keeping in mind something that my mom has been patiently telling me for the last year:

    "Sarah, I know you're frustrated. I know the situation isn't good. I know the church isn't helping. I know the culture isn't either. I know. But God is still in control of everything. Just trust Him to work everything out, okay?"

    Because I've been tired of panicking, and tired of being enraged, and tired of despairing, and tired of freaking out. I love websites like The Gift of Singleness (whose tonges are planted FIRMLY in their cheeks), linked on our links list, who are working hard to speak out to change a ridiculous, absurd, and abiblical trend in the contemporary evangelical church. And I'm also learning to listen to my mother, and trust that God's not going to leave me in the dust. Sure, the situation looks pretty grim. It's not what I would have chosen, and I'm pretty stubborn, and getting "dangerously" set in my ways. But that's still not out of God's reach.

    He says somewhere in Isaiah, "Is my arm too short to save?" I've always loved that rhetorical question.

     
  • At 4:39 PM, April 24, 2007, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Sarah, you brought up several points that I failed to ponder. That is true that nothing is out of the grasp of God, and that our own plans (Plan B) can seem so frivolous next to Plan A. If only I knew what Plan A entailed.

    Sometimes I find myself wishing I could be more like some of the girls we went to college with. The type who baked cookies in South Rec, flipped through Bridal magazines, had perfect hair and skin, called her parents every night, attended Bible study every week and was never at a loss for male attention. She got engaged junior or senior year, and instead of beginning to work after graduation - took the summer off to plan the wedding. As a newlywed, she lands that perfect freelance job working from home. She soon becomes pregnant, has a beautiful baby, and stops working. She doesn't have to worry about finances because her GCC grad husband works as an engineer making $60,000 a year. They are now living happily in a Pittsburgh suburb and still make it up for homecoming every year.
    Unfortunately (or fortunately), I'm not her. And I have to confess -- sometimes I envy her. She has the benefit of shared living expenses, shared vacations, and a masculine presence to unclog toilets and do most of the gruntwork while moving. She has sex! She never has to worry about whether to go alone to a wedding or try to scrounge up a date.

    Now, I do fully realize that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I'm sure there are as many downsides as to being single.
    Although, I'm not sure I would want the kind of life I desribed above. I'm pretty quirky, and honestly... I don't have it all together yet.
    The weird thing is that the fact that Christian men I've encountered (and could be involved with) don't ever give me a second glance really steers me away from the concept of ever marrying one. Does that make any sense?

     
  • At 5:27 AM, April 25, 2007, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Oh, totally. And there have been plenty of times when I haven't bothered restraining my impatient noises when my mother reiterates her speech for the twentieth time.

    I had some of my own bubbles broken. I didn't like cooking until I was twenty-three. I want a tiny, no-fuss wedding. I felt inadequate compared to Miss Perfect Christian USA, most especially because she seemed to be quiet and have exactly the "right" opinions that never caused ripples, while I've always had fierce opinions that tended to put me at odds with the mainstream.

    Even with all of that, I thought that I, like my mother, would be married at twenty-one, have my first child at twenty-four, and be a stay-at-home mom.

    I'll be twenty-six this fall and I've never seriously dated anyone. Had that caused its moments of mental whiplash? Definitely. But I'm also remembering what someone said not so long ago on this blog (I think it was this blog, maybe it was The Gift of Singleness), that not all Christian guys are to be found in the church.

    And my mom is, after all, right.

     
  • At 4:38 PM, April 25, 2007, Blogger Adam the V said…

    Hmm...Jennifer...you may have accidentally hit on The Answer.

    "I'm pretty quirky, and honestly"

    Sometimes I think that for all I talk about the odds being stacked against me because of being Christian, the percentages of singles in our area of the country, whether we're IN or OUT of God's will, how proactive we should be, and the difficulty of meeting suitable potentials due to work schedules...perhaps it all just comes down to the fact that I'm a freaking weirdo :)

     
  • At 7:07 AM, April 26, 2007, Blogger Jennifer said…

    We're weird in a good way. But who knows if there are others like us. =)

     
  • At 8:22 AM, April 26, 2007, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    Normal is boring.

     
  • At 11:09 AM, April 26, 2007, Blogger Adam the V said…

    Amen Sarah!

    On the subject of things I'm tired of hearing...from my Christian friends: "Oh Adam, you're going to make some lucky woman a wonderful husband some day."
    Please shoot me. I hear this at least once a month.

    And from my non-Christian friends: "Oh Adam, you just need to get laid."
    Yeah...cause that would solve all problems. I hear this one at least once a week.

     
  • At 11:18 AM, April 26, 2007, Blogger Jennifer said…

    You need some new friends! Okay, just kidding. But seriously, I feel you on those people. For a long time I met with our pastor's wife once a week to pray and do a devotional. She drove me crazy with all her "Wait on God" and "Be Patient" crap. Honestly, I'm kind of glad to be moving to get out of meeting with this middle aged woman who really DOESN'T understand what it's like to be almost 25 and Christian. It sucks.
    It's not like I'm single because I act desperate running after men wearing a wedding dress. Actually, I think I'm a pretty balanced with being independent, but not appearing too standoffish. I do know one thing... that I'm totally turned off by most Christians at church.

     
  • At 12:33 PM, April 26, 2007, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    I must hang out with refreshingly strange Christians (largely other outskirters like me). Most of THEM are the ones telling me I need to get laid. At least they're honest!!! (And we all understand the marriage caveat.)

    My friends who aren't Christians are the ones who really can't understand my single state - not being exposed to the Christian subculture, perhaps, has something to do with it. One of my friends says her husband goes on a fuming rant every time I leave their house, demanding of the cold brutal world, "Why isn't Sarah married?!"

    I find both types of input comforting.

    Being told I'll be a great wife to someone someday? Yeah, not so much. Living out Sex in the City? Worse.

     
  • At 3:26 PM, April 27, 2007, Blogger Adam the V said…

    Ah yes...outskirter Christians. The fringers - I hear ya Sarah. I had a lot of these type friends in Houston...but there just doesn't seem to be a large number of them in Chicago. Even my friends at church - they're wonderful people, don't get me wrong, but they have a hard time knowing where I'm coming from, or understanding my struggles. There's a lot of FrigidChurchGirl going on, but perhaps that's only my reaction because I'm used to being around more demonstrative people.

    I also understand what you're saying about your non-Christian friends not understanding why you're single. They're not aware of the whole weird Christian dating fiasco. I used to try and explain this to them, but now I just usually say "it's all screwed up" and leave it at that.

     
  • At 11:28 AM, April 28, 2007, Blogger Jennifer said…

    It would be interesting to put together a documentary on being "Single and Christian" to shed some light to non-believers and older folks how things REALLY are.

     
  • At 11:53 AM, April 29, 2007, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    My best friend Leigh Ann, a fellow writer, really loves the television genre...she has a vision of putting together a drama on the Christian subculture, set on a Christian college campus. A show that treats it seriously, with all the humor and tragedy and farce and melodrama that really happens...to show the world what really goes on.

    I'm on the advisory board. :)

    I would love to see something like this actually happen. Because it IS its own weird Harry Potter subculture. The "Muggles" have no idea what it's like.

    As for FrigidChurchGirl...in my case, anyway, it's a two-parter: one, because I'm so hungry to be touched, I have to put up the Don'tTouchMe wall, or I'll throw myself at the first guy who touches my elbow when he says hi; two, because guys in the Midwest tend to shy away from girls like they've got the cooties. Other FrigidChurchGirls, though, I have no idea. They don't even like hugs from other girls. It's weird.

    Oh, and my outskirter Christian friends are almost entirely long-distance (if Protestant), or, if they're nearby, Catholic. Dunno what that says.

     
  • At 12:40 AM, May 01, 2007, Blogger Dawn said…

    Most of my Christian friends in Chicago are "outskirter" types--I'm still church hunting myself, but there are a lot of cool people at Grace Church (Bucktown). I just don't like the preaching. But the people are generally of the slightly cynical Christian variety--my roommate goes there, and he's the perfect case in point.

     
  • At 12:41 AM, May 01, 2007, Blogger Dawn said…

    I should second Sarah here--I'm tired of waiting and being frustrated. This seems like a recurring topic with my single Christian friends, in the city and elsewhere.

     
  • At 8:15 AM, May 01, 2007, Blogger The Prufroquette said…

    It's just that, at some point, the personal gripes need to come together into some kind of consolidated movement. This might be a melodramatic metaphor, but if people in the 1800s had sat around simply complaining about slavery's unfairness, instead of rallying around its unjustice and lobbying in the political and church arenas for change, and taking other practical courses of action in ways like the Underground Railroad, nothing would have been accomplished. Which is why I like The Gift of Singleness blog, and authors like Debbie Maken -- that's the right tack. This place is great, too -- it's a wonderful support system. But at some point I feel that it has to come together into action: people putting their heads together and coming up with some kind of plan. Approaching church leaders. Speaking out in public arenas. Writing articles.

    Because it's about more than just personal suffering. It IS hurting the church, in a widespread way. It IS a major problem.

    In the meantime, my being upset on my own behalf isn't achieving anything. I've been happier not caring. What, God's going to abandon me? What about Psalm 37? "Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desire of your heart"? That's a PROMISE.

    So yeah, I'm stepping back for the moment and pondering the Next Step. Because there is a Next Step. And in the meantime, the weather is beautiful, I love my cat, God is good, and I am cherished.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home